Are games too overhyped?

Are games too overhyped?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hub' started by CM30, Aug 29, 2016.

1. CM30

CM30 Well-Known Member Staff Member Vice Admin Full GL Member

Money:
    $1,970
    In general?

Because based on a few recent examples (Mighty No 9, No Man's Sky, etc), it seems like an awful lot of games are now being super hyped up but never quite manage to live up to it.

Meanwhile, games with far lower expectations and quiet launches (like say, Minecraft) do well, because they're not promising the world and delivering nothing.

But what do you think? Are a lot of games too overhyped now? Would it be better if they stopped trying to advertise various new games as if they were the second coming or something?

2. main_gi

main_gi An Admіn, an Admіnistrator, and a Moderatоr (jk)

Money:
    $0
    Right, this is one of the problems now. I used to get a lot of games but that has now drastically slowed because of so many games that don't even hit the 7/10 mark, not even just because they are overhyped, which they are. In fact, a lot of these games were released without much but they were still kinda disappointing. And all these games were by people I looked forward to for their games because they made good ones before.

I'll give some examples. Obviously, opinions, but as for the second game it's not like I've even found a proper counter one.

TIS-100 - You'd think if a game is released by a game developer that's known for producing a good title before (SpaceChem/Infinifactory) it would at least be a good game. Interesting premise but it ends up being very standard for games, even with the new functions, it doesn't fit the plot I was given and the expectations I had (you don't "fix" anything, while there are depths in the gameplay's optimization that come from ingenuity as always, the mechanics themselves have depth that fizzles out at 'JRO'). It's weaker than their other games - while I wouldn't wish for a refund like the other two, this game was definitely an example of quantity over quality.
    The Beginner's Guide - Interesting premise (again), but so poorly executed. You'd think if a game is released by a game developer that's known for producing a good title before (The Stanley Parable) it would at least be a good game. It starts as an interesting, if weak, peek at game development but then at the end, plays the whole thing to another genre in a sense that completely broke my immersion. To this day I have no idea why people like it.
    Human Resource Machine - The last straw, basically. You'd think if a game is released by a game developer that's known for producing a good title before (World of Goo) it would at least be a good game. Well, this was the most uninspired by-the-book game ever and I wish I could return it. Doing actual programming is less tedious than playing this game, and the story's interesting premise (get the pattern?) makes it look like it leads somewhere early on, but it ends up not mattering at all.

Even though the expectations were little because they were launched quietly (well, I guess they weren't if you count good word of mouth as that), they'd still be poor buys.

3. IntoxNitram

IntoxNitram GamingLatest Slave Staff Member Administrator

Seems to be that the audience expects the unrealistic. Also doesn't help that developers show games off way too early - so they don't exactly know whats possible and what needs to be compromised on, which makes the game look far better than it turns out to be after optimization.

4. WitchAssassin

WitchAssassin Well-Known Member Full GL Member

Money:
    $2,303
    I think there are some games that are over hyped. To be honest, when a game is over hyped, it's actually more likely to get on my nerves and turn me off of a game when that happens. I'm more likely to not purchase a game if they annoy me with too many commercials about it or whatever.

5. Demon_Skeith

Demon_Skeith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Top Poster Of Month

Thing is, don't developers make games over hyped or is that just fan reaction? Either way pay attention to more than one review of the game, all reviews will make the glaring issues obvious.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kingcool52

kingcool52 Avid GTA & FIFA Gamer Full GL Member

Money:
    $586
    The problem with these games is that the marketing teams create unrealistic images/videos of these games to increase sales. The problem with this is that is creates unrealistic expectations amongst gamers because sometimes the content in trailer doesn't look anything like what it looks like in the game. That's why I love trailers that have been created using the game because they have much less made up crap in it. No Man's Sky is the biggest example, their marketing and advertising was on point but the game just wasn't what everyone was looking for.

7. WitchAssassin

Money:
    $2,303
    I think the developers make games over hyped but that's my personal opinion. The fans overreact to it because the games are way too hyped by the developers. It's one thing stringing the other along.

8. Zyni

Zyni New Member

Money:
    $32
    I think so. That's what they do to sell games now. It happens with a lot of products. They start hyping early and often, never knowing what might not work or which features might cost too many resources to include. Then, they cut stuff, and people are unhappy. This is especially true when players have pre-ordered.

I say stop giving them money in advance. See if a game lives up to the hype first (or at least comes close enough to make you reasonably happy with it).

9. WitchAssassin

Money:
    $2,303
    I agree with you there. Don't give them money in advance. See if the game is going to be any good first before you start expecting too much from it.