Are retro games making a comeback?

MrIncognitoish

Awards
Credits
How do you feel about playing retro games on stream? What games would you like to see dusted off?

Most people use emulators to play retro games on their PCs and while this is definitely a good option, it does not beat taking the time to set up compatible adapters and breaking out the collection of retro gaming systems. This can be a little complicated depending on the system though. I had one routed through an old VCR to get the right inputs until i found the adapter i needed. I have one of almost every system dating back to 1980 and a few games for each and it's been highly entertaining for me and my viewers to play these on the occasional stream.

Some of these games have been long forgotten and I hope they get remade on PC with better graphics as they are very fun to play. If you are interested in stopping by to check out the stream it's MrIncognitoish on Twitter. I stream Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12-5 PST. Sometimes on weekends if nothing else is going on.

The hobby never went anywhere. Especially if you look at the prices of the games over the years. Some of the console prices go through phases when the people who grew up on it get to the age where they have disposable income and want to relive their childhood.

Knowing that classic game compilations have been more prominent back in the sixth and seventh generations consoles, the retro gaming resurgence has been there since the 2000s. This was pushed further throughout the latter half of that decade with plug and play units containing old arcade/console games as well as Nintendo and Sony offering a decent chunk of legacy games for players to purchase via the Wii's Virtual Console and the Playstation 3's PS One Classics selections respectively.

To answer your first question, I often feel positive about people playing old school games on stream. There have always been audiences of game enthusiasts who often enjoy seeing others stream the oldies on a regular basis.

As for the second question, that will remain a tough one seeing all sorts of 80s and 90s arcade games pop up on the digital storefronts in conjunction with classic compilations for newer consoles as well as dedicated classic mini consoles coming pre-installed with tens of console-specific games. I know it's often a farfetched request though I could go for some Virtual Boy and Gamecube games (outside from a certain few) being dusted off for the Switch.

Retro gaming has been a thing for a long, long time at this point and hasn't gone away. I mean, we've seen Atari Collections for as far back as I can recall, I even have PS1 and Saturn Atari anthologies, so it's definitely not new to play retro games. As a game collector and frequent retro game player, it's nothing new to me, but it is nice that they're getting more and more love. Some great games from the past that people often overlook, and they deserve some love!

I think retro games always used to be favorite in the gaming industry. And the thing about the retro games is that a lot of those games were fun from the perspective of the console users.

A lot of people enjoy re-playing classic games which they enjoyed many years ago, so they may want to buy and play the game again. There are also affordable mini game consoles with pre-installed retro games which let users play retro games on a TV without the need to use more complicated retro game emulators on their computer, or use services like Steam to buy retro games, so it is easier for many people to get into retro gaming by buying mini consoles with pre-installed retro games.

I've always followed retro gaming streaming channels at YouTube and twitch. Its very nice seeing people bringing the retrospective games to Live, I will love playing winning eleven soccer again.

I remember having the old Atari & having it hooked up to the TV in our kitchen. Considering it was in the 80’s, it was quite good as a starter. Of course, doesn’t compare to consoles now. When we got Nintendo NES, we found several that were remakes of classic Atari games. They were more fun to play back in the day as now the graphics don't hold a candle to newer games. But, it was still enjoyable to reminisce. Who remembers the old Atari system?

Retro gaming can be more affordable as well if you buy retro games which can be bought as part of a collection where you pay $20 or more for multiple games, or play retro games for free if the maker of the game decide to give their game away for free on their website.

There is nothing wrong with streaming retro games and like that astronaut meme, I agree that it always has been. Even if your console dies there is a chance you can find a console or PC later with the capabilities to run the certain games you like to play in a streaming setting. There are a lot of steps into the scene with mods or even in the market where you can plug something into your PC to play physical games, on the older end without the console or a Retron that can function in a similar manner. If I were into it I'd start with a CFW 3DS but that's just me and Nintendo speaking.
I remember having the old Atari & having it hooked up to the TV in our kitchen. Considering it was in the 80’s, it was quite good as a starter. Of course, doesn’t compare to consoles now. When we got Nintendo NES, we found several that were remakes of classic Atari games. They were more fun to play back in the day as now the graphics don't hold a candle to newer games. But, it was still enjoyable to reminisce. Who remembers the old Atari system?
I played a plug-and-play with Atari games and I sometimes wonder how they got by.

I think stuff like Nintendo’s Virtual Console and Sony’s PlayStation Classics were great. If you already owned the consoles with those services, it alleviated having to hunt down the original console (if you didn’t already have it) along with paying the secondhand prices on the original game. Especially when some of those games in question have become more of a collector’s item.

It also alleviated the sketchiness of emulators/ROMs, and gave easy access for non-computer savvy people. Running a Super Nintendo emulator isn’t rocket science, and can basically run off a potato, it’s still intimidating for a portion of the population who have to phone a friend to install Microsoft Office on their computer.

Back