Are you religious or not (no arguments please)?

Are you religious?

• I'm a devout follower of a major religion and generally theist

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I'm technically a religious follower, but it's not much of a big deal to me

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • I'm agnostic and don't know either way

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I don't believe in any Gods or follow any religions

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Just curious what religion if any people here are. Myself, I consider myself agnostic in the purest sense. I don't know if there's a God, aren't sure I can know if there's a God and generally like to err on the side of caution in regards to the matter.

And I guess I keep changing my mind, since neither theists or atheists have managed to convince me one way or the other.

I'm atheist. I have been given no evidence there is a god. For example when I was younger I used to believe because my family did and when I needed help from god, nothing happened. Then I got older, looked more into bible stories, and thought about how far fetched it sounds.

Now before anyone says anything bad about what I said, I'm not one of those atheists who go around to every religious person and go, "Hey, you believe in god?" Then start something with them or bash them. In fact I think the morals that are taught are good morals, but I think it's gone about the wrong way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm atheist. I have been given no evidence there is a god. For example when I was younger I used to believe because my family did and when I needed help from god, nothing happened. Then I got older, looked more into bible stories, and thought about how far fetched it sounds.

Now before anyone says anything bad about what I said, I'm not one of those atheists who go around to every religious person and go, "Hey, you believe in god?" Then start something with them or bash them. In fact I think the morals that are taught are good morals, but I think it's gone about the wrong way.

Curious, not trying to start an argument - why so politically-conservative then?

On forms and stuff I'm christian, though I folow my own beleifs rather than what others have said to me. I get bored during Religious Education at school and come up with theories like what if satan isn't evil or bad? What if he's just doing his job, perhaps a necessary job that if he didn't do, things would go wrong somehow. As I said, I believe what I come up with for myself. I haven't been to church on a sunday morning for many years, despite my father being the minister.

I'm firmly Lutheran, although I used to be more agnostic. My family had me go through our church's three year Confirmation process, and that solidified my faith. Without it, I don't know how I'd have handled my mom's death several years ago.

I may be a firm Christian, but I don't try to cram my beliefs down atheist/agnostics' throats. I prefer to let everyone have their own opinion, but if someone wants to discuss it with me, I'm more than willing.

I also ask that those of you who don't believe in God to not judge us all by the groups like the WBC...we aren't all like that at all.

I don't see how politics and religion go hand and hand.

Generally, most conservatives are conservative on issues because of religious beliefs. Not all, but a good amount. Which is why I'm asking you what I am then, because I am curious as to your reason. No reason to get defensive.

Agnostic. But I don't really see a point in atheism. Most common reason I see people say "I'm a atheist" is because they consider themselves "science people". However if you are a science person you wouldn't assume either way, science isn't "there is no evidence so therefore it doesn't exist."

Another reason would be "I'm not a christian" or "The bible is bullshit". But atheism isn't the disbelief in Christianity its the disbelief in god. You can't just discredit Christianity as your reason for being a atheist, you have to discredit ALL the possibilities for a god (or gods).

Because of this atheism is just as much of a religious belief as Christianity is, which is why i'm Agnostic. If there is a god I believe he just cares that I acknowledge this, and that I practice good morals. I don't believe I need a bible or to follow some strict set of laws.

Agnostic. But I don't really see a point in atheism. Most common reason I see people say "I'm a atheist" is because they consider themselves "science people". However if you are a science person you wouldn't assume either way, science isn't "there is no evidence so therefore it doesn't exist."

Another reason would be "I'm not a christian" or "The bible is bullshit". But atheism isn't the disbelief in Christianity its the disbelief in god. You can't just discredit Christianity as your reason for being a atheist, you have to discredit ALL the possibilities for a god (or gods).

Because of this atheism is just as much of a religious belief as Christianity is, which is why i'm Agnostic. If there is a god I believe he just cares that I acknowledge this, and that I practice good morals. I don't believe I need a bible or to follow some strict set of laws.

YOU are my god.

Exactly my feelings.

There are two definitions atheists like to throw around with no consensus to which one they're going to use.

A.) A lack of a belief in a god.

In this sense, I am an atheist. I do not believe in any gods,

B.) A believe that there are no gods.

In this sense, I am still an atheist, but this I feel no where as strong about. There is no way to prove that there are no gods, I purely believe that there are no gods based on the lack of logical sense produced by others, or by me, to suggest that it would be accurate or logical for a creator. It's entirely a belief, there's no facts to support the argument, only the logic I used to come to the conclusion. Though it's not a religion, it is not a system of beliefs.

As for people deciding for atheism over Christianity, it's ignorant to throw away Christianity and not bothering to see any of the other religions instead, but then again, often times the same reasons they decided off Christianity will fit into the other religions as well. A problem that goes to the base of all religions. Though I don't think it's good to be boistering around about how Christianity sucks. As much as I don't like it, i accept that it has helped people, lots of people, and some people need it. And if it helps ONE person, then it is a good thing. It's not religion that causes problems, it's people who use it in bad ways. So I do support most religious people, they mean good and I appreciate this. My views don't change a thing, the only person they effect is me, and who cares? There's much more pressing issues.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not trying to argue anything. I'm expressing my viewpoints whilst also trying to clear some things up.

^ Just researched atheism a bit and realized implicit atheism was a thing, which makes a lot more sense. When I was discussing why I thought atheism was as religious as Christianity, I assumed in order to be a atheist you HAD to be under the presumption that a god not existing was a fact.

I fully understand why one might not believe there is a god or gods, it makes sense. I could even understand why one would state that as factual information. My main dirt with atheists is just when they declare it to be true, and then proceed to rant on other religions for being nonsensical and blindly followed.

^ Just researched atheism a bit and realized implicit atheism was a thing, which makes a lot more sense. When I was discussing why I thought atheism was as religious as Christianity, I assumed in order to be a atheist you HAD to be under the presumption that a god not existing was a fact.

I fully understand why one might not believe there is a god or gods, it makes sense. I could even understand why one would state that as factual information. My main dirt with atheists is just when they declare it to be true, and then proceed to rant on other religions for being nonsensical and blindly followed.

Yeah, I disagree with them as well. It's alright to believe what they want, but they're no better than the people they're railing at when they attempt to claim they're right. I understand what you're saying completely.

I definitely have beliefs, but I wouldn't necessarily call myself "religious". In spite of living in the "Bible belt", both me and my mom don't really feel the need to go to church.

I don't see how politics and religion go hand and hand.

Generally, most conservatives are conservative on issues because of religious beliefs. Not all, but a good amount. Which is why I'm asking you what I am then, because I am curious as to your reason. No reason to get defensive.

Everything I believe is based on my own beliefs. I grew up learning morals from my family, as opposed to religion, but my family is kind of religious, but like I said, the morals shown in religion aren't bad.

I've heard that we consider our family to be protestant, but we're not very religious at all, so I'm agnostic more than anything.

I'm a Catholic, but I believe the Church needs heavy reform. I personally also believe the Old Testament is mostly people trying to make sense of the world at the time. Even the Catholic Church teaches not all of the Bible should be taken word for word. I also don't really believe in hell much. I can't wrap my mind that there could possibly be a place that bad, even for some of the most evil people who ever lived. I personally heavily believe in the whole concept of acceptance of other cultures and religions.

Back