E3 Assassin’s Creed Origins (Ubisoft; PC/Xbox One/PS4; 27 October)

LeeLeakey

Credits

Fight like an Egyptian … Assassin’s Creed Origins. Photograph: Ubisoft
As the title suggests, Ubisoft is heading back to the beginning with this tale of the assassins’ guild founders, fighting their way through ancient Egypt. The lead protagonist is Bayek (or “By ‘eck” if you’re from Yorkshire), a warrior who acts as a guardian to his people – while stabbing enemies. The developer is promising an overhaul of the familiar Assassin’s Creed systems, with a drone-like hawk to scout new areas rather than the old tower system, and new boss battles.

Elevator pitch: Assassin’s Creed reinvented.

I seem to be more excited about this title than most of the people around me. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how good it's going to be, or if the gameplay is actually going to receive that much of a change to warrant the word "overhaul."

But damn it if I ain't an absolute sucker for anything in an Egyptian setting. There aren't nearly enough games taking place in Egypt and I'm not only hoping that this game will be good but that Ubisoft sparks a newfound interest for games in an ancient Egyptian setting, cause there just aren't enough of those.

You can polish guano all you want, you'll never make it shine. It's all a cash grab at this point, with Ubisoft releasing a "new" game every year for their rabid fan base. I personally wouldn't mind, if they actually released these "sequels" with good improvements and fewer bugs. But that's not the case for the past few ones they released, and I honestly don't think they care at all since they have a deadline to keep. I also read about this "magic pants" that you can have in-game that makes the game easier, if you pay for preorder or whatever. No thank you, I'll stick with actually decent games.

I'll wait for a price drop on this one. I didn't really enjoy Black Flag. I'm still a bit upset about the storyline of ACIII. Could've been so much cooler since it was during the American Revolution.

I think it's a fresh take on the AC Series, because it implements a different gameplay and it seems truly different, I'm excited to see what's on with this new Assasin's Creed game.

I seem to be more excited about this title than most of the people around me. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how good it's going to be, or if the gameplay is actually going to receive that much of a change to warrant the word "overhaul."

But damn it if I ain't an absolute sucker for anything in an Egyptian setting. There aren't nearly enough games taking place in Egypt and I'm not only hoping that this game will be good but that Ubisoft sparks a newfound interest for games in an ancient Egyptian setting, cause there just aren't enough of those.

You and I are the same! To begin, I'm one of the only people excited for this game in my area. Most of my friends aren't giving it the slightest bit of attention.

Like yourself, I'm also a huge fan of the Egyptian gameplay settings. The trailer thoroughly made me excited for the release. If the game blows I won't be mad, but it's worth giving it a try when released.

You and I are the same! To begin, I'm one of the only people excited for this game in my area. Most of my friends aren't giving it the slightest bit of attention.

Like yourself, I'm also a huge fan of the Egyptian gameplay settings. The trailer thoroughly made me excited for the release. If the game blows I won't be mad, but it's worth giving it a try when released.
Wouldn't the game setting be a bit similar to Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time? Parkour: check. Assasinations: check. Sandy environment: check. That game was ahead of its time when it was released in the early 2000s. It was rated 10/10 wherever games are reviewed, be it magazines or TV shows. It was an amazing experience, and I don't think this new AC game can match up to it - even with the advances in gaming technology and the near 15 year gap in development.

Wouldn't the game setting be a bit similar to Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time? Parkour: check. Assasinations: check. Sandy environment: check. That game was ahead of its time when it was released in the early 2000s. It was rated 10/10 wherever games are reviewed, be it magazines or TV shows. It was an amazing experience, and I don't think this new AC game can match up to it - even with the advances in gaming technology and the near 15 year gap in development.

I understand your point of view. Even though I don't compare Assassin's Creed: Origins to Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time. From what it sounds like, you're giving the same expectations to two different gaming titles from two different eras all because they have highly similar characteristics.

And even if AC: Origins doesn't live up to its hype or expectations in comparison to PoP: the Sands of Time. It's still worth checking out. Also, Prince of Persia was excellent for its time period. But we're 15 years past the initial release, classic gaming titles will always remain, but people move on over time. Meaning the relevancy of the game itself over time fades off.

I think your point is valid but can be argued.

Back