Best Internet Browser for slower computers?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think Slimboat is the best web browser for older computers since it does not use a lot of RAM, and it works on older versions of Windows like XP.

Plus, you can install it on Linux based operating systems like Ubuntu, and it also works on Mac, so if you use Ubuntu and Slimboat, it would be a lot faster than older Windows computer because Ubuntu and Slimboat both use less RAM and CPU than Windows.

Hmm... My computer is XP and it works fine with the best browser ever.

I agree Windows XP seems like the best Windows operating system for running Google Chrome, Firefox, and most other web browsers  for Windows since XP runs faster on slower computer compared to using Vista, 7, and 8 on slower computers.

I use Firefox and Chrome and they both work fine on my XP :)

Because that is the day Microsoft cease updates and security patches with Windows XP. Therefore after that date any vulnerabilities and exploits discovered will forever be.

GamerPerfection said:
Because that is the day Microsoft cease updates and security patches with Windows XP. Therefore after that date any vulnerabilities and exploits discovered will forever be.
People must get used to windows 7 first.

I think it is harder to find a good Windows 7 PC or laptop in stores now that Windows 8 is out, and newer computers may not work with 7 installer disc. 7 might soon not get updates now that 8 is out if MS also discontinue updates for 7.

If you don't use IE 8, use a good antivirus like Eset NOD32, and use the newest version of Firefox, Chrome, Adobe flash player, and do not use Java you should be pretty safe online even if you use XP. There still will be a lot of compatible antivirus and firewall software for XP after April 2014.

Linux mint, Lubuntu, and Chrome OS are good OS for browsing the web on slower computers which used to run XP.

Don't be stupid, MS aren't gonna stop updates for Windows 7 anytime soon. XP will end on 14th March but 7 won't be till long time after that as Vista will come first.

froggyboy604 said:
and newer computers may not work with 7 installer disc. 7 might soon not get updates now that 8 is out if MS also discontinue updates for 7.
Some do work with 7 installer, depending on the computer's compability.

Newer computers which uses mother boards with Secureboot/UEFI feature don't work with Windows 7, and Linux based operating systems like Ubuntu, and require you to change a setting in the motherboard to switch to Legacy BIOS mode to install legacy OS like Windows 7 or Other OSes like Ubuntu Linux.

I read a few threads on other forums like

Installing Windows 7 x64 in UEFI mode?
My motherboard supports booting in UEFI mode. Does anyone here know how to install Windows 7 x64 in UEFI mode? It keeps booting into legacy BIOS mode and I have no idea how to get into the UEFI shell to choose the UEFI boot option so I can install in a native UEFI environment. Please help!

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1519101

The owner had problems installing Windows 7 on a newer computers which uses the UEFI/Secure Boot features. I also read on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

UEFI (~EFI) is a firmware interface that is widespread on recent computers, especially those more recent than 2010. It is intended to replace the traditional BIOS firmware interface that is prevalent on earlier machines.
If you plan on installing Windows 7, it is best to pick a computer without a UEFI/Secureboot motherboard, but according to Ubuntu it is now widespread, and regular BIOS based motherboards are harder to find on computers after 2009.

It is probably best to wait a few months or a year if you do not like Windows 8 user interface since a future Windows update called Windows Blue will bring back the Startbutton, and start to the classic desktop according to http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-8-plan-blue-bring-back-the-start-button-boot-to-desktop-7000014075/ .

Summary: Microsoft may be moving toward bringing back the Start Button and allowing users to boot straight to the desktop with its coming Windows 8.1 release later this year.
There is also a chance that the startmenu will come back after the Windows 8.1 Blue update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1C4FpknIN8

If the Startmenu does not come back after Windows 8.1 Blue you can always use a free startmenu repacement program like Classic Shell  at http://classicshell.net/ which bring back the Startmenu, Startbutton, and sets Windows 8 to start Windows into the classic desktop found in 7/Vista rather than the touchscreen StartScreen desktop, so the desktop on Windows 8 looks like Windows 7 except there is no see-through glass like Windows which been replace with pastel/chalk-like 2D Windows.

I think the Antivirus companies like Symantec, NOD32, Kaspersky, etc will still continue to find ways to make XP safe even if MS stop patching it, and Independent software companies like Stardock, TuneUp Utilities, and Iobit will continue to make software and tools to make XP more fast, and stable.

The Opera Turbo feature is pretty useful since it disables animation, ads, and make images load faster when the connection is slow. I use Opera Mobile, and Mini with Turbo turned ON on slow Wi-Fi connections I'm connected to with my tablets.

I read that Opera would be using Webkit Blink. Opera claims to make the web better to use.

According to Opera’s Bruce Lawson, “a lot of people were worried that there would be less diversity on the Web once Opera Presto was retired, and the forking of WebKit into Blink restores that balance.”.
Read more

I don't know what it is that makes it work so well, but way back in 2003 when I was on a crappy 56k connection, that was really half that, Opera would load pages a lot faster than IE did. Even thought I was using a very slow connection, and so, that is a big reason why I have stuck with Opera for all of these years.

Black Angel said:
I say Opera, that browser moved like lightning even when I was on a shitty 56k dial up connection. If you disable ads, and javascript, it'll move even faster.
This. I used to use Opera on the old computer because it opened so much faster than any of the other browsers.

Opera also has a version of its web browser for Ubuntu Linux, and other Linux Distro OS, so if you install Opera on PuppyLinux which is a Linux based OS which uses very little RAM, and work on Pentium IIII and slower CPU, it should be pretty fast.

Back