Best Internet Browser for slower computers?

I'm on opera and it works well. Firefox used to be the fastest on my computer, but a few years ago since one of their updates it became the slowest for me, so that's when I switched to chrome. Now chrome is messing up, so I switched to opera.

Demon_Skeith said:
maybe some independent programmers will keep XP patched.
This happened with Win2K and is even more likely with XP, because XP is so popular to this day.

froggyboy604 said:
The Opera Turbo feature is pretty useful since it disables animation, ads, and make images load faster when the connection is slow. I use Opera Mobile, and Mini with Turbo turned ON on slow Wi-Fi connections I'm connected to with my tablets.

I read that Opera would be using Webkit Blink. Opera claims to make the web better to use.

Read more
It's just Blink. Blink is not an Apple project, but a fork of Webkit by Google. Use correct terminology, please. :)

I had an old computer with 256mb of RAM. Only XP would run smoothly on it and Opera was the best browser, the rest seemed to freeze and eventually just close. Opera doesn't seem to use up much RAM and is quite lightweight.

halv said:
I had an old computer with 256mb of RAM. Only XP would run smoothly on it and Opera was the best browser, the rest seemed to freeze and eventually just close. Opera doesn't seem to use up much RAM and is quite lightweight.
They're getting rid of their rendering engine to make development cheap, now, so I wouldn't count on Opera remaining as a force in browsing.

Nuke said:
They're getting rid of their rendering engine to make development cheap, now, so I wouldn't count on Opera remaining as a force in browsing.
Seriously? Pretty disappointing to hear this. Source? At least they still have pretty solid mobile browsers, but then again they'll always be in second place there too to Dolphin.

Firefox 22 seems pretty fast in my experience.

I read a review  at http://readwrite.com/2013/07/10/the-new-firefox-is-awesomebut-that-wont-make-it-relevant-again#awesm=~obk9Sfe0ZqmGgE that said FF22 is faster than Google Chrome, Opera and Internet Explorer 10.

Firefox 22 also outperformed Chrome in recent speed tests by Tom's Hardware. The site pitted it against rivals Chrome 27, IE 10 and two different versions of Opera across four performance-based categories—wait times, JavaScript/DOM, HTML5/CSS3, and hardware acceleration. Firefox stunned testers by edging out long-time champ Chrome and nabbing the top spot.

Black Angel said:
In that case, R.I.P. Opera.

I'm bringing Maxthon to your funeral.
Yeah, my friend who used Opera at the time (not sure about now) said that this ruined his day.

I like the New Opera Web Browser. It runs pretty smoothly on my computer. Although, it feels kind of basic, and I can't change Google Search to other less popular search engines like Duck Duck Go, Swagbucks Search, and Yandex.

Although, you can change the search engine in the address bar to Yahoo, Bing, Amazon, and Wikipedia in the New Opera's search engine settings.

I like Opera on the PC as well, but if you have ever used it for Android, or iOS even, then you'd see that it is like night and day..

It is nothing like the version that was on Windows Mobile, where it was like the PC version, just formatted for mobile, and the closest thing I came to finding it, was using the Opera Labs android app I downloaded from their site. 

It works well enough, but it crashes if you use too many extensions and Opera Link doesn't work..

I don't know why they haven't continued their work..

They abandoned Presto to get Google and others to develop their software for them. It's just that simple.

Nuke said:
They abandoned Presto to get Google and others to develop their software for them. It's just that simple.
I think Chromium's Blink is open source, so any company, and person with the skills can contribute bug fixes, code, and designs for it, but I think it is mostly mantained by Google. Opera can also contribute to it.

AlexandraM said:
Firefox is the best.
Indeed.

froggyboy604 said:
I think Chromium's Blink is open source, so any company, and person with the skills can contribute bug fixes, code, and designs for it, but I think it is mostly mantained by Google. Opera can also contribute to it.
This is true. Opera did this because they are no longer able to license Presto for big money to Nintendo and others.

Chromium, as a whole, is open source.

Webkit which is what Chromium/Chromium's Blink is based on is also Open Source.

I read that Internet Explorer 11 is improving its speed, and reliability from previous versions. IE 11 does seem a little faster when I use it occassionally on my older computer running Windows 8.

Back