Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Looks like PlayStation 5 rumors are starting to kick up on the internet. Currently everything is coming from a site called SemiAccurate, which is a gaming news blog which apparently is a $1000 subscription based website (*lols for ten mins*)

Anyways, here is a small rundown of the rumors for the next console:

-Uses AMD’s Navi as its base architecture, not specifically using Navi
-CPU is custom Zen
-Large amount of devkits have apparently gone out.
-Author suggests 2018 release of PS5 is not out of the question based on the amount of devkits released as this is a “sure sign that the launch is getting close.” Not definitive.
-VR “goodies” baked in at the silicon level.

Feel free to post any other rumors you hear in this thread and I'll update the main post with them.

I don't think they are going to release PlayStation 5 this year, it feels too soon after the release of the PS4 Pro. Some announcement maybe, but release, I don't think so.

Last edited:
Assuming the PlayStation 5 is already in development to some degree over at Sony, when could the console theoretically release? If we’re going off claims made by industry analyst Michael Pachter, the PS5 release date could be as soon as 2020 (Pachter originally claimed 2019 but then revised the date).

There's 0 information about it on the developer side of things, not even developers talking about it, asking about it, Sony announcing anything about it, just nothing.
However, it doesn't mena I entirely debunk a potential PS5 to be announced any time soon, as Nintendo already entred the new generation, and considering the years Xbox One and PS4 came out, this year would be the right time.

There's 0 information about it on the developer side of things, not even developers talking about it, asking about it, Sony announcing anything about it, just nothing.
However, it doesn't mena I entirely debunk a potential PS5 to be announced any time soon, as Nintendo already entred the new generation, and considering the years Xbox One and PS4 came out, this year would be the right time.

I'm sure developers have kits to make the next generation of games with, which if I recall right the development kits come with a pretty strict contract including something saying they can't boast about it.

I have never used the Zen CPU lines, are they good performance wise? I am more of an Intel user, with my PS4 is the only computer using the AMD stuff.

I'm sure developers have kits to make the next generation of games with, which if I recall right the development kits come with a pretty strict contract including something saying they can't boast about it.
I don't have a PS5 dev kit, Sony never even mentioned it, so how am I supposed to know that?
Though there is a PlayStation developer meeting later this month in London, which they hold once every few months any way.

I think it is unlikely the PS5 will be release in the near future since the PS4 is still very popular, and there does not seem to be a high demand for a PS5 console.

I think it is unlikely the PS5 will be release in the near future since the PS4 is still very popular, and there does not seem to be a high demand for a PS5 console.
That's why its rumored for now.

The Wii and DS were very popular even after their successors came out, does that mean the Wii U and 3DS never happened?
PS2 was still very popular long after the PS3 came out, does that mean the PS3 never came out?

The Wii and DS were very popular even after their successors came out, does that mean the Wii U and 3DS never happened?
PS2 was still very popular long after the PS3 came out, does that mean the PS3 never came out?

The PS3, Wii U, and 3DS were release where newer console parts like a newer CPU, RAM, and video chip made it possible to display video in HD on a HDTV was getting more popular when the PS3, Wii U were released. A reason for the 3DS to be release is that the DS does not look as modern as the PSP and PSP Vita which could play nicer looking games.

The Wii and DS look less modern compared to its competitors like the Xbox 360, PS3, and PSP, PSP Vita, so Nintendo most likely release the Wii U and 3DS, so tech savvy gamers are more likely to buy the Wii U and 3DS which look more modern because of the tablet controller on the Wii U and better graphics on the 3DS and 3D on the 3DS is a feature which made the 3DS more interesting than the DS.

Many games file size were getting too big and have better graphics, and can't be publish on the PS2 which does not store games on Blu-Ray Disc like the PS3. The PS3 has a better processor and video chip which can display games in HD. Sony release the PS3, so people can play bigger file size games with better HD graphics. Sony was one of the inventors and investors in Blu-Ray discs and the Cell Processor, so Sony release the PS3 to sell and promote Blu-Ray discs and drives, and the Cell processor.

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining very other reasons than what you've quoted to.

I actually think the overbloat of assets doesn't necessarily make a game better.
It sells better because games look more fancy, but it doesn't help if the story just sucks or that the game is filled with bugs for example.

I play Touhou Project for example, by far not the game to go for if you care about graphics, but it's fantastic in both gameplay and music.

Thanks for explaining very other reasons than what you've quoted to.

I actually think the overbloat of assets doesn't necessarily make a game better.
It sells better because games look more fancy, but it doesn't help if the story just sucks or that the game is filled with bugs for example.

I play Touhou Project for example, by far not the game to go for if you care about graphics, but it's fantastic in both gameplay and music.

You're welcome.

I agree that fancy graphics don't always help at making a game better. A good story is more important part of a game. It is disappointing that some $60 games are now only online multiplayer games , or has a short story. Games which are filled with bugs can be annoying.

I think there are game companies which spend too much time, and money on advertising the game on TV and the internet when they can spend more of their time on fixing bugs, and writing a better story, improving gameplay, and picking better music.

I don't have a PS5 dev kit, Sony never even mentioned it, so how am I supposed to know that?
Though there is a PlayStation developer meeting later this month in London, which they hold once every few months any way.

Preeeety sure you have to be a really big game developer to get a dev kit.

Though I'm just saying that if Sony wants some kind of launch line up for PS5, developers would have gotten a kit by now or even last year if not before.

Preeeety sure you have to be a really big game developer to get a dev kit.

Though I'm just saying that if Sony wants some kind of launch line up for PS5, developers would have gotten a kit by now or even last year if not before.
Highly doubtful, since Sony provides the same information to all their partners.

So if access isn't available, they'd at the very least let developers know about it, but even that isn't the case currently.

highly doubtful they wouldn't have released a dev kit by now?
I am one of the many 3rd party devs Sony has, though I haven't released a single game for a PS4 or PS Vita yet, but I know such information first hand.
Of course I can't talk about it if Sony tells me not to, but I can say that Sony didn't say anything, therefore it's not a secret (yet).

Just read this from kotaku, Shreier's article:

“Over the past month, I’ve spoken to dozens of game developers, across a variety of disciplines and studios, about the next generation of consoles,” Schreier wrote. “Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony’s new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019, let alone 2018, although they were careful to be clear that these plans are always shifting.”

One person told Shreier, “On a multi-year project, a lot can happen to shift schedules both forward and backward. At some point, Sony’s probably looked at every possible date. It’s all about what they think is the best sweet spot in terms of hardware.”

Last edited:
Just read this from kotaku, Shreier's article:

“Over the past month, I’ve spoken to dozens of game developers, across a variety of disciplines and studios, about the next generation of consoles,” Schreier wrote. “Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony’s new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019, let alone 2018, although they were careful to be clear that these plans are always shifting.”

One person told Shreier, “On a multi-year project, a lot can happen to shift schedules both forward and backward. At some point, Sony’s probably looked at every possible date. It’s all about what they think is the best sweet spot in terms of hardware.”

yeah just read that, it also goes on to say the dev kits are tightly guarded secrets which leads me to the next quote:

I am one of the many 3rd party devs Sony has, though I haven't released a single game for a PS4 or PS Vita yet, but I know such information first hand.
Of course I can't talk about it if Sony tells me not to, but I can say that Sony didn't say anything, therefore it's not a secret (yet).

I get that, but how long do you think it would take to develop a game for PS5? At this point some kind of dev kit has to be in other developer's hands but not to great extent.

I get that, but how long do you think it would take to develop a game for PS5? At this point some kind of dev kit has to be in other developer's hands but not to great extent.
As I said, Sony shares all information with all devs equally.
Same thing happened with the PS4 Pro; I even knew the specs before Sony even announced it to the public at all.

As to how long to develop specifically for PS5, I can't know if I don't even know the platform even exists yet.
But no matter the platform, it just takes really long to put a decent game together, and on consoles it can take even longer due to the fact that games have to go through age ratings, QA testing at platform owners across multiple regions, a big series of checks that basically have nothing to do with the game itself, potential advertising by platform holders, maybe localisations if you happen not to speak one of the required languages, looking around for publishers in case you don't want to or can't self-publish, all of which can easily create a gap of a few months between finishing the development and publishing the game to the public.
And I haven't even talked about PR advertisements and review copies yet.

Back