Do slow CPU feel Slower in Windows compared to most other Operating Systems like Linux?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Ever since I used Windows Vista, slower CPUs like the Intel Celeron, Atom, and similar AMD CPUs like the Duron and Sempron feel slow when running Windows Vista and newer Windows operating systems.

But, Linux based operating systems like Ubuntu Linux and Linux Mint runs at a good speed even on slower CPUs like the Intel Celeron and Atom.

linux is designed to be very light weight. That is most likely why.

The nice thing about Linux is that there is no single answer to this question.
It all depends on the distribution, and on what the hell it's running (which GUI, which display manager, which processes, what services, which apps, and so on).
Ubuntu running Gnome 3 and Wayland is way heavier than Arch running i3 and Xorg for example.

linux is designed to be very light weight. That is most likely why.

Windows is also designed by a few computer programmers who work at Microsoft. Many MS's software programmers may have not used Windows Vista, 7 or 10 on a slow computer since working for Microsoft and past jobs at other tech companies like Google.

I bet, many computer programmers who work for Microsoft can't relate to PC users who experience slow PC speeds on a daily basis when using Windows 10 on an Intel Atom, Celeron, Pentium, VIA CPU, AMD E-2, A4 and other older/slower CPU with 3GB or less RAM, and an older 320GB mechanical hard drive.

But, Linux is made by computer programmers who may want Linux to run faster on their older computers which they use for making Linux because they can't afford a faster computer, or can't easily buy a fast computer if they live in a 3rd-world country like Mexico and Cuba.

As someone who works in a software development department of an IT company, the "few programmers working on one product" sounds realistic to me.
However, remember that Microsoft has a massive amount of employees (even their Schiphol (Netherlands) branch has a shitton of people, and when I asked for the amount, even the employees themselves didn't know).

As when it comes to Linux, that's not necessarily true.
The kernel is being programmed by tens of thousands of volunteer programmers from all over the world at the same time, supervised by Linus Torvalds (who already once warned that the kernel is bloated).
Anything the user adds to it has impact as well.
If you want to have a full desktop environment, but you have an old PC, you might choose to work with LXDE or XFCE for example.
And users with a more high end PC might pick Gnome, KDE, or Deepin instead.

And of course there are many more things that might impact to the complete picture, but kernel, window manager, and desktop environment are really important here.

Windows is built to suit everyone, that makes it pretty big and bloated. Linux is very lightweight and basic out of the gates, ready to be customized. So yes, I'd say they are slower on Windows.

Windows is built to suit everyone, that makes it pretty big and bloated. Linux is very lightweight and basic out of the gates, ready to be customized. So yes, I'd say they are slower on Windows.

Windows is designed to work on many CPU and video card brands and models, and more devices like tablets, smartphones, and using equipment like 3D printers which can cause Windows to be more bloated.

It is also easier for MS to raise the minimum CPU, RAM, storage, and video chip system requirements without much complaints from other programmers, Microsoft's managers, beta testers, and users compared to Linux where users and other programmers are more likely to complain if Linux runs slowly or is not compatible with their older Intel Pentium 4, Celeron, and Atom CPU computer with 1GB of RAM, and 40GB storage.

Linux is also a very popular server and super computer OS where many server and super computer administrator wants their servers to use less system resources, and storage, so their website or database run faster, and has more storage space to store website files, database and software, or to run super computer applications like predicting the weather.

As someone who works in a software development department of an IT company, the "few programmers working on one product" sounds realistic to me.
However, remember that Microsoft has a massive amount of employees (even their Schiphol (Netherlands) branch has a shitton of people, and when I asked for the amount, even the employees themselves didn't know).

As when it comes to Linux, that's not necessarily true.
The kernel is being programmed by tens of thousands of volunteer programmers from all over the world at the same time, supervised by Linus Torvalds (who already once warned that the kernel is bloated).
Anything the user adds to it has impact as well.
If you want to have a full desktop environment, but you have an old PC, you might choose to work with LXDE or XFCE for example.
And users with a more high end PC might pick Gnome, KDE, or Deepin instead.

And of course there are many more things that might impact to the complete picture, but kernel, window manager, and desktop environment are really important here.

Just curious, what do programmers do? Just work in a room of their own all day not being bothered?

Not sure in this particular case.
But in my case, I work 9 hours a day, 1 hour of which is reserved for breaks I can plan in throughout the day.
Other than that, I just sit down and make stuff all day.
And when I get stuck somewhere, I look it up, and as a last resort I fall back on a senior programmer at the company (either via Slack (kind of Discord for developers) or by oral contact).

Not sure in this particular case.
But in my case, I work 9 hours a day, 1 hour of which is reserved for breaks I can plan in throughout the day.
Other than that, I just sit down and make stuff all day.
And when I get stuck somewhere, I look it up, and as a last resort I fall back on a senior programmer at the company (either via Slack (kind of Discord for developers) or by oral contact).
What language do you code in?

I mostly do HTML, CSS, PHP and a little bit of VB (not much of it though).

This differs per project really.
I had to do my previous project in Node.js on the backend and React.js on the frontend (both Javascript frameworks).
The current project is being done with Laravel (PHP) on the backend and Vue.js (Javascript) on the frontend.
In both cases, SCSS is used for the stylesheets, and direct HTML is being avoided as much as possible.

Before I got this job, I did most of my work in vanilla PHP, CSS, HTML, vanilla Javascript, and jQuery/AJAX in web projects, C or C++ in desktop apps, and C# (Unity) in games.
And I was learning Ruby on Rails back then too.

So I know quite some languages.

Honestly, you should really forget Java altogether.
It might be easy to get you started with, but it's hard to program with in the long run, it's slow as hell, and comes with countless of security holes.

And now with the raise of stuff like Electron and Webpack, I expect a majority of properly maintained apps will be made cross-platform in the next few years, and it's already happening (see the new Skype, Visual Studio Code, Discord, Slack, Atom, Brave Browser, etc. for example).

The only drawback against native applications (which are written in C and/or C++ for specific OSs) is that Electron apps eat quite a lot of RAM.

Honestly, you should really forget Java altogether.
It might be easy to get you started with, but it's hard to program with in the long run, it's slow as hell, and comes with countless of security holes.

And now with the raise of stuff like Electron and Webpack, I expect a majority of properly maintained apps will be made cross-platform in the next few years, and it's already happening (see the new Skype, Visual Studio Code, Discord, Slack, Atom, Brave Browser, etc. for example).

The only drawback against native applications (which are written in C and/or C++ for specific OSs) is that Electron apps eat quite a lot of RAM.

trust me, I have forgotten Java, but its required by my school otherwise I would never touch any coding.

Java is not the most exciting language because it seems to be mostly be used for less visible software like Database apps, Content Management Systems, and other programs which the user rarely see, or does not know exist.

Java is still important when it comes to supporting the many offline applications which are coded in Java, and it is still used by many big companies like Amazon, Google, eBay, Netflix, etc according to
https://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-...on-while-others-like-Facebook-use-C++-and-PHP

Flip phones which use Java for its OS and apps are becoming slightly more popular again because of fear of internet addiction, and privacy concerns from smartphone apps like social networking and chat apps which maybe spying on you even when you are not using it.

Routers, DVD players, and other hardware sometimes uses Java programs.

Java does have security problems, but other programming languages and browser plug-ins like Adobe Flash and Silverlight most likely also has security problems which would be easier to exploit.

Last edited:
Java is also still being used. Minecraft, Runescape, and many online games are based on Java, so it still have a huge user base. Students would complain if the teacher taught a programming language where fewer companies in their country uses.

Back