Do you like or dislike long running anime?

it depends on the anime, some should be short while others much longer. Depends on the running story.

Can't say much more than Demon Skeith here. Some anime series work with a lot of episodes, some don't. It's like any TV show or other long running franchise.

I don't watch a lot of anime which is why I like it more when it's short. It's easier to get into because there's less filler in 24 episodes than in 300+. The longest anime I've watched from episode 1 to the end was Dragon Ball with about 160. I mean I want to rewatch Dragon Ball Z, but 276 is a lot and I used to watch it a long time ago so I've seen all the major episodes so it'd be mostly filler. Plus, like Nightwing said, it's intimidating to catch up on a currently on going series with a lot of episodes.

As long as they don't stick junk to pad the episode list, I don't mind. The more good episodes, the better IMO.

I like long running anime. I feel like I have a reason to look forward to every Thursday (other than the next day being Friday aka pay day) lol

Definitely depends on the story but in general, I love long anime. I'm a binge-watcher and I love character development so it works out for me.

The only "long running" anime that I liked is my favorite one, Hunter x Hunter, but that's the only one, the rest I like the most those from 12 to 20 episodes.

For me, I rather an anime with 24 episodes than a 600-900 like Bleach or Naruto, that's something that I would never watch haha I know myself, I spend a lot of time with a simple anime, so I won't watch a long anime.

Too short and you won't get any backstories for the characters and the universe they live in, but if it's too long (One Piece, ahem), people would eventually get tired of the same story arcs that get reset every time the previous one ends. I haven't watched/read One Piece in a while, since the adventures became so formulaic I got tired of it. It's always the same; crew goes to a place, the place has trouble, the crew beats up the bad guys for 200 episodes. That gets tiring after a while, and I'd rather watch highlight clips or something on Youtube rather than watch 21 minutes per episode.

It just makes it intimidating to catch up to honestly. Series like One Piece especially.
I stopped watching at the Dressrosa arc because it got tiring (I hated everything after the time skip), and now I'm trying to catch up and it seems rather futile. 100+ episodes, I don't know which is filler since I also stopped reading the manga, and I honestly wouldn't want to watch a hundred 20 minute shows where they just stall everything until the fights start. It's become very formulaic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually prefer long-running anime since I suffer from abandonment issues (?)
No really, if the series can keep a good pace during several seasons, then why not kick back and enjoy yourself? Maybe it's because I grew up with long animes, but I just suffer when I find a good series and then it breaks my heart by giving me just twelve episodes or so.
I'm not good that good at goodbye.

I actually prefer long-running anime since I suffer from abandonment issues (?)
No really, if the series can keep a good pace during several seasons, then why not kick back and enjoy yourself? Maybe it's because I grew up with long animes, but I just suffer when I find a good series and then it breaks my heart by giving me just twelve episodes or so.
I'm not good that good at goodbye.
Most of these anime resort to having filler content though since they create episodes for a weekly release on TV. Sometimes the manga source runs out of content and to give it time to catch up, the anime either goes on break or creates an entirely filler number of episodes, or even arcs at times. It really ruins the flow of the show and story, and nothing significant would happen until the filler stuff ends.

Well, I don't like naruto anymore.
I didn't like it's ending and the same goes to bleach as well. So, I believe long running anime might end up as boring anime after sometime.

For me, it depends if the anime is milking the story for views *coughshippudencough* or if it's just a longer running story. I believe there is a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it. For example, One Piece is VERY long, but anyone that watches/reads it will know that it will eventually conclude.

Back