Do you still read newspaper?

Nope, the closest I get to reading news is my subscription to The Economist & The Economist Espresso which gives an overview of the news for the week and day respectively.

Do the newspaper there in library, waiting rooms, restaurants etc. are there updated? or they had been there for days and the contents are late.

I think most of the people read newspaper are grandpas and wealthy businessmen. Because they gotta be updated on business field and they do not like staring for screens for too long. Cus of the bad effect of the screen to eyes. I think me, myself enjoying reading newspaper sometimes especially with coffee. Also reading a newspaper is less distraction because it's not like a mobile phone where time to time there is a notifications. That might distract you from reading.

Yes, the newspapers are usually less than a day old in the library, restaurants, and free newspaper stands.

I agree that a lot of old people, and wealthy old people read newspapers because they are less distracting than electronic devices.

Newspapers does not require any electricity or internet service to go online to read the news like a internet connected smartphone, and tablet for reading the news, so people with cheap smartphones, laptops, and tablets with poor battery life may more likely read a free newspaper at a waiting room or the library. There are also poor, or old fashion people who may not own a device like a laptop, PC, smartphone for reading the news online.

Nope. I don't think many people read it now either.
There are many apps which give the latest info now.

I agree people perfer apps because it is much easy to look for what kind of news you are interested. Say you want sport news, clicking SPORT menu will give you latest news about sport.

I agree people perfer apps because it is much easy to look for what kind of news you are interested. Say you want sport news, clicking SPORT menu will give you latest news about sport.

Websites are good as well for finding stuff to read.

Some people also prefer printing out website articles which they may need for future reading. Plus, printed articles on paper is less likely to get stolen compared to a smartphone, tablet, and laptop when in a public place.

Websites are good as well for finding stuff to read.

Some people also prefer printing out website articles which they may need for future reading. Plus, printed articles on paper is less likely to get stolen compared to a smartphone, tablet, and laptop when in a public place.
Depends on where.
In all European countries robbing smartphone, tablet, and laptop when in a public place is normal.
Here in Japan I normally leave them widely visible when I go to the toilet (sometimes for longer than usual), and everything remains untouched, doesn't matter what I leave behind (unless away for too long, then items can be found back at the regi).

Depends on where.
In all European countries robbing smartphone, tablet, and laptop when in a public place is normal.
Here in Japan I normally leave them widely visible when I go to the toilet (sometimes for longer than usual), and everything remains untouched, doesn't matter what I leave behind (unless away for too long, then items can be found back at the regi).

Do tourist steal smartphones, tables, and laptops when visiting Japan?

I feel there is always a small chance that an animal like a dog, monkey, and large bird or a younger kid who stealing or accidentally breaking a smartphone, tablet, and laptop.

Do tourist steal smartphones, tables, and laptops when visiting Japan?

I feel there is always a small chance that an animal like a dog, monkey, and large bird or a younger kid who stealing or accidentally breaking a smartphone, tablet, and laptop.
Not from what I've seen actually.
I do find it more scary to leave my belongings unwatched in places like Akihabara during summer than in Oimachi during autumn for example, because Akiba is always lots of tourists especially during summers.
I have no such fear among foreign residents and Japanese citizens, or in places where there's not so much tourism at that time.

But on the other hand, if you get to know what will happen if you steal something, even if it's an empty can from a bin, you'd not even dare to steal anything while in Japan.

Not from what I've seen actually.
I do find it more scary to leave my belongings unwatched in places like Akihabara during summer than in Oimachi during autumn for example, because Akiba is always lots of tourists especially during summers.
I have no such fear among foreign residents and Japanese citizens, or in places where there's not so much tourism at that time.

But on the other hand, if you get to know what will happen if you steal something, even if it's an empty can from a bin, you'd not even dare to steal anything while in Japan.

I feel there is a greater chance of someone accidentally picking up other people's smartphones thinking it is their smartphone in Akihabara because there are many people in Akihabara and many smartphones look the same, and a lot of people use the same model and brand of phone.

Some people are not as careful and may see an iPhone, and pick it up thinking it is theirs. Some people maybe too lazy to see if they can unlock the phone if it is their.

There are also people who are lazy or afraid and may not give the phone they took by accident to the police.

There are some people who suffer from a mental illness like Kleptomania which make them more likely to steal, so there is a chance that there would be people who steal in Japan even if they know local Japanese laws.

944bc13d42c454e4e6292a975c23cb801390793209_full.jpg

CkRbnXGWgAEOTp0.jpg

It seems to be safe.

I feel there is a greater chance of someone accidentally picking up other people's smartphones thinking it is their smartphone in Akihabara because there are many people in Akihabara and many smartphones look the same, and a lot of people use the same model and brand of phone.

Some people are not as careful and may see an iPhone, and pick it up thinking it is theirs. Some people maybe too lazy to see if they can unlock the phone if it is their.

There are also people who are lazy or afraid and may not give the phone they took by accident to the police.

There are some people who suffer from a mental illness like Kleptomania which make them more likely to steal, so there is a chance that there would be people who steal in Japan even if they know local Japanese laws.
Not only Akihabara, every urban spot in Japan is a lot of people.
Especially in most inner ward of Tokyo metropolis

People usually know where phones were left, and in doubt they'd go to lost items or regi of a store.
Never touch the phone unless 100% sure it's them ownership.

And people with mental illness are never left alone, there is always someone else with them.

Back