Do you think eventually hard drive storage size wont increase anymore?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think when SSD drives become cheaper, Hard Drive companies may stop spending money on inventing larger storage size hard drive like how people stop inventing larger size floppy drives when USB drives got invented.

It could go 2 ways; either SSDs get cheaper over time, or HDDs get faster over time.
Like how Intel was all about stability and AMD was all about speed, but now both brands do a good job on both.
And how NTSC had a smoother frame rate and PAL had a more stable colour system, now both standards stopped existing with the raise of HDMI, which combined the best of the 2 standards, and got even better from there.

A lot of consumers are also using smartphones and tablets which uses flash memory which is similar to a SSD. I think if too many consumers use mobile devices for computing, consumer hard drive makers may not spend as much money on research and development of bigger size hard drives for consumer desktops and laptops with a hard drive tray in it because hard drive makers will have a more difficult time selling hard drives, and getting money to invent larger size hard drives.

Well after TB we still have:
  • Petabyte (PB)
  • Exabyte (EB)
  • Zettabyte (ZB)
  • Yottabyte (YB)

Which I personally can't wait till we get to YB, just sounds good saying.

YB, just sounds good saying.
And expensive as hell too.

Another thing you need to know is that storage limits in certain operating systems make it harder to ever reach even 1 PB.
While internal HDDs nowadays go up to 12 TB, PCs are almost never sold with more than 2 TB.
Additionally, we've been stuck at 2 TB HDDs for many years after its introduction.

Why? Because Windows can't read partitions worth more than 2 TB.
And this while Linux can easily manage that since Linux Kernel 2.6.35, which is a kernel released in mid-2010.

Another thing you need to know is that storage limits in certain operating systems make it harder to ever reach even 1 PB.
While internal HDDs nowadays go up to 12 TB, PCs are almost never sold with more than 2 TB.
Additionally, we've been stuck at 2 TB HDDs for many years after its introduction.

And this while Linux can easily manage that since Linux Kernel 2.6.35, which is a kernel released in mid-2010.

Windows also have a file limit of 4GB for Fat32 formatted drives.

I think the max file limit for NTFS windows is 16TB.

Hard drive makers may not make as many large storage size hard drives ubtil NTFS can store files larger than 16TBs. A very large database and very long HD or 4K video file may someday use 16TB of space.

I wouldn't say that some of these devices stop just because something new came out, but also because those older formats have storage limitations. I'm pretty sure that HDD's will have a size limit that SSD's will perform at a better capacity.

It'll still increase, demands for storage space as quality of things are going up are increasing all the time. We will likely see diminishing returns but size will increase. And the prices will adjust too.

Honestly, I hope this wouldn't happen. I care too much about my disk space and I like having more space for my anime.

meh, windows one million will fix that read issue :p

Back