Do you think Higher Quality Mobile Games will be as expensive as PC and console games to make?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think eventually higher quality mobile games would be as expensive to make as PC, and console games to make because hiring game developers graphics, sound, writing, and other staff can be very expensive.

Plus, tablets like the Nvidia Shield Tablet, and iPad Pro have very good performance which may put pressure on a lot of mobile game companies to make nicer looking games which look great on the Nvidia Shield and iPad Pro if other mobile game companies make great looking games for faster mobile devices.

Making nicer looking games, with good gameplay, controls, and a great storyline can be very expensive.

Mobile titles generally have far less scope than PC / console so until they reach those levels then they'll remain cheaper to make.

I doubt it, right now the mobile market is for mindless games. People don't want quality, they just want good time killers.

I agree people want good time killers.

But, I think mobile gamers who play games with a mobile controller like the Nvidia Shield or Moga Pro controller on their smartphone, or tablet would want to play games with better storylines, gameplay, and graphics because they spent money on a controller, and took the time to setup their mobile devices to work with their controller.

I would say it depends on if they evolve beyond just being time killers. If they do, then yes, they will cost more. If they don't, then they won't.

Either way, the mobile market is more microtransaction based rather than a one time purchase and even if development costs go up, I don't think that'll change much.

I think hiring successful mobile game programmers and graphic artist will be more expensive in the near future because mobile game programmers and graphic artist who made extremely popular games like Clash of Clans and Candy Crush Saga which make many millions of dollars will demand higher wages when making a new mobile games. Mobile game workers will want a fair wage where they earn more money from their hard work, and the earnings which the game makes.

Mobile games earnings could be in the many millions to billions of dollars in the future. There are many billions of people who can play mobile games on their smartphone, tablet, smartwatch, and now PC because of PC themed Android Operating Systems like Remix OS and Android x86, and Windows and Mac Android Emulator programs like Bluestack which people primarily use to play Android games like Clash of Clans, and Candy Crush Saga on an Android Emulator. Chrome OS will also have better Android App support where more Android Apps and Games could be played in Chrome OS.

Mobile game companies also do not want to hire cheaper less experience and less skilled workers to make games since it can be very risky. Less experience and less skilled staff could mess up the game, and the mobile game company like Rovio who makes Angry Birds loses a lot of their fans because most new games are not fun to play because the company who makes the game did not hire more experience workers who can make good mobile games which people want to play on a daily basis.

I don't really think so because I don't see mobile games delivering quality content instead of boredom relief anytime soon. That's a good thing, too, IMO. Mobile games aren't supposed to be high quality or make like 50 hours of game play, they're a lot better to play games you only have to check once in a while, perform a quick action and come back later. At least my favorite mobile games have always been like this... I could never really get into a game enough to lose hours in it like I do with PC games.

I really doubt that a game could cost as much as a large scale project, especially because phones are nowhere near the hardware capabilities of the pc, so a major project on mobile might not even work.

When I first thought about this I assumed that it would be cheaper because of the size of the device, but this actually doesn't make sense now, it's actually the same thing, as you've said, if they want to release a good game they need to think about everything (the same thing happens with regular console games). But I do think that mobile games don't have a lot of... visibility? I'm not sure how to describe it, but there's actually not much of a difference.

I doubt it, right now the mobile market is for mindless games. People don't want quality, they just want good time killers.

I'm coming to the conclusion that mobile games are starting to become too much, developers are being innovative with these games because mobile games are something different from consoles and PC's. Plus earning more money per person playing each game with in app cheap purchases is more probable then consoles. My opinion there.

I'm not liking the way the industry is going with these games. If I want to play games, I play them on a PC or console, My phone is not a gaming device, I want it to still have the same purpose as the title of the device.

I'm coming to the conclusion that mobile games are starting to become too much, developers are being innovative with these games because mobile games are something different from consoles and PC's. Plus earning more money per person playing each game with in app cheap purchases is more probable then consoles. My opinion there.

I'm not liking the way the industry is going with these games. If I want to play games, I play them on a PC or console, My phone is not a gaming device, I want it to still have the same purpose as the title of the device.

nope, the phone really isn't fit for gaming besides simple games. I would never fully play a game on my mobile.

nope, the phone really isn't fit for gaming besides simple games. I would never fully play a game on my mobile.

I think, once more people own controller for smartphone, and smartphone's has better cooling systems, smartphones can be good for playing handheld games like DS, 3DS, and PSP type games.

If the mobile game keeps me interested, I may fully play a game on a smartphone.

Sometimes, using a smartphone is the only way to play a classic game which got released to mobile if a gamer does not own classic game consoles and the cartridges, and there are no versions of the classic game which work for PC, or consoles which they own.

I don't think mobile games have as much depth and as much graphic requirements as PC/console games. I don't think they will be as expensive to make due to the less amount of features.

If you want higher end graphics (like PS3/360 level) then you're going to need to spend more time/money to develop them. And as you do that games get more complex and thus cost more (simply because it takes more time to actually make those models). That said, for now, smart phones really will not compete with PC gaming. PC systems have much higher end hardware available to them. I mean a Galaxy S7 might have a decent graphics chip but it's going to be blown away by a Nvidia GTX 980. Even an older or mid tier laptop will be able to soundly best the Galaxy S7.

Though truth be told, I don't see mobile gaming taking over for PC gaming any time soon. For the next few years anyway mobile gaming is going to remain a timekiller at best and not something you do because you want to experience a tremendous story or great action game. (Unless you're using your phone to emulate a game from a previous console or handheld... but that's kind of another thing entirely.)

Back