Do you think Sony or Nintendo will make a game console which run Android Operating System?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think it is possible that Sony, and Nintendo will make a game console which uses the Android Operating System.

Android maybe a better choice for game console operating systems than a regular Linux or UNIX based operating system like Debian, Fedora, or FreeBSD because many Linux operating systems are mainly designed for servers like the web servers on web hosts like HostGator.

Android is also very active because Google, and other code contributors are very active at adding new codes and features to the Android Operating System.

But, there are Linux operating systems like Mandriva which are not active anymore because they can't get a huge user base like Android, or can't find enough staff or volunteers to add updates to their Linux OS.

Making a custom operating system from the beginning can cost a lot of money, and requires a lot of workers which Sony, and Nintendo may no longer have because they both had money problems in the pasts because of a lack of sales for some of their products like the Wii U, Vita, and Sony PCs.

Well, I've always used Android operating system on my smart phone and I love it. It never gave me any trouble. I don't know how it would work out on a gaming console. As long as it doesn't screw anything up, I would be okay with Nintendo switching to that.

I think future Sony handheld consoles using Android could be a good idea since most Android games which I tried on my Nvidia Shield and Asus Nexus 7 tablet seems to run pretty fast even the 3D games like Riptide GP, Bards Tale, and Asphalt 8. Plus, using Android as the OD would make it easier for Android game developers to make and sell games on mainstream consoles like Sony and Nintendo consoles if they ever release a console which use the Android OS for running games, apps, and programs.

The rumors are hinting that Nintendo's next systems would be running android. But I know Sony runs a custom linux just for their game system, I don't see them breaking from that.

The rumors are hinting that Nintendo's next systems would be running android. But I know Sony runs a custom linux just for their game system, I don't see them breaking from that.

I think Sony uses a custom version of FreeBSD which is more similar to UNIX, and mostly used on servers. If FreeBSD becomes dead or development of FreeBSD slowdown more in the future, it could cause Sony to adopt another free operating system like Android, Ubuntu, or Debian as its base OS because more popular Operating Systems like Android and Ubuntu usually are better supported by software developers, and hardware makers who make RAM, CPUs, Hard drives, and video chips.

I think FreeBSD may not be doing well these days because most systems like servers uses Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Fedora, and Linux Mint, and hardly anyone uses it on their computers compared to other Free OSes like Android, Debian, Linux Mint, and Ubuntu.

FreeBSD also had money problems in the past because of a lack of users who are willing to donate to their operating system.

"Perhaps a sign of our troubled times or a sign that FreeBSD is becoming less relevant to modern computing needs: the FreeBSD project has sought $500,000 by year end to allow it to continue to offer to fund and manage projects, sponsor FreeBSD events, Developer Summits and provide travel grants to FreeBSD developers. But with the end of this year fast approaching, it has raised just over $280,000, far short of its target."

Source

Why would Nintendo abandon their operating system and switch to Android on their upcoming console?

Using Android may attract more game makers who are more skilled at making Android games instead of making Nintendo games.

Making and designing newer hardware like CPU, Video and Sound chips work in Android is probably easier and requires less highly skilled worker than making a custom operating system from the beginning to end where you are on your own to make the software , games, and operating system compatible with hardware devices like CPU, video and sound chips because you don't have the help of the open source Android developer community which probably has many coders contributing code, and making bug fixes instead of just a few programmers like some closed-sourced proprietary operating system like Windows, iOS and OS X.

Back