Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music

People believe that the touchpad, the near useless thing at the bottom of the laptop was on its way out but ASUS has found a new thing for it. The above laptop can use two screens, the normal screen and then a screen on the touchpad itself!

If you go for the max stats on this laptop, which is a 4k screen, six-core eighth-generation Core i9, 16GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with 4GB RAM, though no offical price is given, you're looking at a couple thousand dollars for this powerhouse.

Unfortunately the GPU is rather weak imo. I'll pick GPU anytime over an extra screen on a laptop.

I rather buy a more affordable laptop, and buy a full size monitor or portable monitor as a second screen. I agree, with cm2 that the GPU is weak. I also feel buying a laptop with a faster GPU and a Core i7 maybe better than buying a laptop with a Core i9 and a slower CPU.

I actually don't think the touch pad is useless.
I actually think it's a very convenient and mature replacement to a mouse, it's only bad in apps that need a lot of precision, scroll wheel click, and games.

I think the screen would be useful as a backup screen when the big screen breaks on your laptop.

Unfortunately the GPU is rather weak imo. I'll pick GPU anytime over an extra screen on a laptop.

I guess they chose the 1050 to keep the costs down of what seems like an expensive laptop already.

Everything?
Such apps (primarily creativity software) are just a very small portion of all what computers have to offer.
And even when adding games to the mix, it's still a small portion.

I guess they chose the 1050 to keep the costs down of what seems like an expensive laptop already.

I agree they most likely use the Nvidia 1050 to keep the cost down. The laptop maker may use a 1050 to keep the laptop running cooler because the Nvidia 1050 may not run as hot as the Nvidia 1080, so a cheaper and quieter slow spinning laptop cooling fan can be used to cool the laptop. Using a 1050 may also extend the battery life of the laptop because usually faster video cards use more electricity than cheaper video cards.

I quite like the touchpad myself, and I use it quite often. Most people on the go don't have a mouse to use for example. What is the point of the extra screen also?

I quite like the touchpad myself, and I use it quite often. Most people on the go don't have a mouse to use for example. What is the point of the extra screen also?

I think the extra screen will mostly be used to display text information like the date, time, and scores for sports game. Users can use the screen to use touchscreen mobile apps from the Windows Store, but the screen will be less useful for using desktop programs like MS Word.

I already found the touch bar on some MacBook Pro models replacing all the function keys to be weird, and totally pro-unfriendly too, since programmers as well as MMORPG gamers use these keys all the time.
But any additional screen, and especially if it happens to be multi touch, sucks up lots of battery really quick.
Since the 'normal' screen is a 4k display according to that guy in the video, plus the fact it runs Windows 10 out of the box, I won't be surprised if somebody finds out they get out of battery after a few very simple tasks while on the go.

I can see having two screens can cause low battery problems to occur more often once the laptop's battery and power supply is wearing out because of old age.

I think having two screens can make a laptop slower because displaying two screens can use up more RAM, CPU, and video card resources because there are two video screens to display at once instead of one. Displaying two screens may make video encoding, and gaming slower if the second screen display a HD video on it while you are gaming.

I can see having two screens can cause low battery problems to occur more often once the laptop's battery and power supply is wearing out because of old age.

I think having two screens can make a laptop slower because displaying two screens can use up more RAM, CPU, and video card resources because there are two video screens to display at once instead of one. Displaying two screens may make video encoding, and gaming slower if the second screen display a HD video on it while you are gaming.

I think this laptop touchpad is only suitable for stylus pen, it'll be best for signature capturing and digital art too. Not good for gaming.

Back