froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Rather than trying to dissipate excess energy from servers, it wants to harness it, using it to heat people’s homes instead.

The setup is simple enough: you pay Nerdalize to install a server in your home; it heats your house for free; and Nerdalize makes money by selling the server space to other companies. Back in 2015, the company unveiled its first product — a standalone wall heater powered by a single server that was used in a year-long pilot in five households.

Read More

I won't want my websites' data to be hosted in someone home where a robber can more easily break into a home than an office building with a good security system, metal doors with better locks, security guard, and other thief protection systems.

I think it would be a better idea to rent or buy a building, and have security guards, and tech workers like network administrator live in separate rooms where the water and room is heated by heat from the server.

While the idea sounds cool on paper at the end of the day I don't think I need another server in the house making more noise.

that's actually an awesome idea as far as heating your home or reducing bills. But do you get stuck paying the electric bill for the server? What happens if something happens to the server? Are you responsible for it?

And like you said Frog, I don't want my data in a residential home, what if I somehow make that person mad and they learn they are the home for my data?

While the idea sounds cool on paper at the end of the day I don't think I need another server in the house making more noise.

There are computers which use silent heat pipes to cool computers, so no fans and water cooling is needed. SSD Solid State Drives don't make sound like traditional spinning hard drives. Some more expensive computer cases are thicker, so sound from fans and hard drives are less noisy. There are also quieter fans which are bigger in size, but spin a lot slower than smaller fans, but still move as much or more air as a fast spinning smaller fan.

But do you get stuck paying the electric bill for the server? What happens if something happens to the server? Are you responsible for it?

What if I somehow make that person mad and they learn they are the home for my data?

I think the hosting company may pay for the electricity bill because they claim that they will heat your shower water for free after you pay for installation.

I think the home owner can be responsible for the server if it is proven that he broke it on purpose.

Hopefully, the web hosting company's data is backed up and encrypted with strong file encryption on many other servers in different homes, and buildings to prevent data damage, hacking, and theft. I think most big web hosts back up their data to many different servers, and servers in different countries.

Back