Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHj5VvFWbtE

The next installment in the Elder scrolls series is a MMORPG for online playing only.

WOW!  Just saw that it supports Mac!  I wish TOR would have done that.  This might end up being my replacement for WoW, once and for all.  I didn't get into the Elder Scrolls until Skyrim, but I think, with the right touches, this game could be fantastic!

The Elder Scrolls beta for the PC looks like a tired theme-park like MMO than a real innovative MMO that will be a game changer. I definitely have my reservations about this one, can't say that I am either looking forward to it or remotely interested. What I hate about their concepts of a story in the MMO is that every character is "The Chosen One" which absolutely makes no sense because the entire world is filled with watered down heroes. 

I loved WoW and Skyrim, so I'm quite excited for this one! Looks pretty awesome! The graphics don't look quite up to date, but I suppose that's kind of to be expected for an MMO. That's neat that it will be on the next-gen consoles as well, not to mention the Mac! I wonder if my Air will be able to run it, haha. I have a gaming PC though, so I'm not too concerned. I'm mostly worried about this game having a monthly fee, I don't want to get tied up in another one of those. Did they announce anything on that front?

I am very excited for this. One thing that I felt the Elder Scrolls series was missing was an online mode. Adding this whole new aspect to the game will surely prove successful. Hopefully it is not too expensive though and isnt too laggy either. A normal single playing elder scrolls game would be cool as well to continue the series.

No matter how many times I see the videos, listen to the talks with developers, or watch the press conferences, I still feel that they are going to have trouble living up to the tone and gameplay set by the single-player games.  Skyrim was a tour de force, and my fear is Elder Scrolls Online will not fill those boots.  Having said that, I probably will spend the better part of next year traveling the lands (and hopefully a few realms). It does look fantastic, and although MMO's generally fail to keep my attention for more than a month or two, this game could easily win me over.

All this Elder Scrolls talk. Now I have to boot up Skyrim again, see what mods are availabe on the steam Workshop. I have an  addiction. I swear I can stop anytime, just one...more...hour....

I'm not sure what to think about Elder Scrolls Online. The single player games were amazing games and the Elder Scrolls Online is great graphically, but I wonder how it'll actually perform. One of the videos shows a lot of people in the same area at once, along with enemies - I wonder if it'll cause lag under actual online multiplayer conditions.

GracefulAssassin said:
Is this still a PC exclusive or have they moved it onto the PS4 and One.
It's on PC + Mac, Xbox One and PS4. The Xbox and PS4 and computer versions will be in separate "worlds" though, there isn't cross platform servers. I'm curious to see how they'll implement item management for the consoles, hopefully in a better way than Skyrim's items menu. I usually find without a mouse, item management in games on a console becomes pretty tedious.

It does look amazing but I don't think it will satisfy everyone. I simply think it needs more originality to it in order to suceed particularly in the MMO-scene. We all know that the MMORPG scene isn't as big as before and the dominating game-type is MoBA right now.

It looks so much better than the beta now. I so glad that they patched the first person mode. The first person mode in beta was basically unplayable. Hopefully, they'll make it into a game that is worth playing. I don't know how I feel about putting it on Xbox One or PS4, just as long as they do it right.

Laser_cat said:
I still feel that they are going to have trouble living up to the tone and gameplay set by the single-player games.  
Why is that, do you think? When I was playing Skyrim I totally felt like the exact same gameplay could have been done with a friend, they even gave you a dumb companion most of the time. What ruined Skyrim for my the most was I was putting all this work into a character with no one to play with and a world that scaled up as I gained levels and gear, so I started to feel like 'what's the point'. I think a little MMO juice is just what these games need. I'm a bit biased though, I like MMOs a lot, I know they aren't for everyone.

As a dedicated Elder Scrolls fan who played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim for a long time, it feels like this game is going to be a disappointment. First things first, Elder Scrolls games are getting worse and worse by day. I can easily say that Morrowind was the best Elder Scrolls game I've ever played, with or without mods. To move on to the real point, a MMORPG is quite different from a RPG. A MMORPG needs the PvP element to be successful in my opinion. Without the PvP element, the game starts getting dull. After all, it's impossible to update the PvE content all the time in a way that it won't be repeated to a point where it won't be fun anymore.

The reason I mentioned PvP is because most MMO games after WoW (even WoW itself as the expansions came along) failed to catch a good PvP gameplay and/or balance. I sure would be amused if they actually managed to set a good PvP gameplay.

All this hype! I'm not a loyal fan of the Elder Scrolls series, having only played Skyrim. But hey, if it turns out to be an amazing MMO, it'll be worth playing regardless. I'm just hoping this is not like another GW2. (not saying that GW2 is bad, more to the huge hype before its release)

I've been wanting an MMO to be released on a console for a long time.  I at one point hoped it would be Runescape, but Elder Scrolls will do so much better.  I can't wait to see how well they pull ESO off, as the game has amazing potential.  Just from the trailer video, it looks stunning.  I can't wait to see what the Elder Scroll world is like with other players.

I have been waiting for a long time to see the gaming industry finally release an mmo for consoles. But I honestly don't know how well ESO is going to do, I mean the graphics look really nice, and I see that it is on-line play only with multi-player features, but what type of multi-player features are we talking about? I am curious to see just how many servers they will have, and just how many people will be allowed on each. 

Now what about if you have a Next Gen console at home and you have two people wanting to play it.... how does that work, or will it even? Probably not. 

Overall though, I did find that when playing through the Elder Scrolls single player games, I felt like it would be a lot more fun with a buddy or a group of people. It's one of the things that actually hindered me from playing the Elder Scrolls games...I wanted to play with people and not just by myself. So, I will be watching to see how it does on the console version. 

I'm a huge huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series and still play Oblivion today despite Skyrim being incredible. I can't help but feel they won't manage to create what they've described, it looks like too much work and too many challenges to overcome.

In all the years WoW has existed many MMOs have tried and failed to compete. Obviously not saying they are trying to compete, but a game like this needs an audience and MMO fans will know, you can find a new MMO (GW 2 for example) and you can try your best to 'get into it' but you always end up back at the beginning -- WoW. If enough of my friends make the jump then I would go with them, but if that group stayed on WoW I'd probably find it hard to leave.

Just a fast cash in on the name of the series. For what i have read, they are replacing the lore all over, so yeah, i won't be picking this up anytime soon.

Signed up for the beta months earlier! Simply cannot wait. The world is going to be blown away bu the game in my opinion! it should be a great addition to the TES series. :) I cannot wait to see the way that they differentiate themselves from all other MMORPGS though...

-Paul

I love the Elder Scrolls series and the work of Bethesda so I'm going to pick this game up for sure unless Bethesda pulls off a subscription based game (which is unlikely). I love my MMOs and combining one of my favorite series with the MMO features. From what I've heard, it's gonna be great! Hopefully Bethesda puts time and effort to pump out a quality MMO.

Back