Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
So if you are like me, you're getting spammed like hell about the EU update policy that all websites which operate internationally have to comply to. The gist of the law requirement is this:

On May 25, 2018, a new European Union (EU) data protection law, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), takes effect. The GDPR gives individuals in the EU more control over how their data is used and places certain obligations on organizations that process personal data of EU residents.

Gaminglatest is a more USA based site so I don't think we have to fully comply to this, but I will update the ToS over the weekend (hopefully tonight) to reflect any needed changes. Though I promise you all I use all the best industry standards to keep your basic info safe, since we really don't collect much beyond your email to use this site there isn't much at risk.

Naturally we don't sell or allow anyone to see your personal info on this site, the only time it might be up for sale is if I should sell this site. Should such a time come, I will email all members to inform them of new ownership and will ask if you still want your account on the site. So as always, keep your email active and allow updates from the admins.

Let me know if you folks have any questions.

-Demon_skeith

Yeah got that update policy popup thing alot, it's quite annoying.

So Mr Demon, do we have your assurance that you are not going to use your citizen's data secretly for some demonic plot? lol

Update XF if you haven’t already, the newest version of the 1.X line has lots of options to comply with this new law.

EU like to feel like they are in charge globally. So if you ever have EU visitors (you do, I am) you are required to follow the laws.

From what I've heard, all companies located in the EU have to comply, as well as all the other companies with at least 1 EU-based customer/user/etc.

I am located in Japan, but nearly all my customers are located in the EU, so I still have to comply with this law.

Update XF if you haven’t already, the newest version of the 1.X line has lots of options to comply with this new law.

EU like to feel like they are in charge globally. So if you ever have EU visitors (you do, I am) you are required to follow the laws.

You just keep causing me trouble :p

As soon as my hosting guy is available, I will get the site updated.

I know what may happen one day, websites/forums will block people from the EU from accessing their site. I think some people done that already.

I know what may happen one day, websites/forums will block people from the EU from accessing their site. I think some people done that already.
I don't think that'll happen, it'll hurt websites and forums more than it'll do good.
Currently nearly every website and forum North Americans visit are being visited by Europeans, South Americans, and Australians too.
It's a different thing with Asian ones though, but maybe it's because countries on this continent are just too distinct from each other AND from outside, while countries in Europe, Australia, and the Americas are way more...similar?

Ive seen a couple of smaller site owners do it already, which is a shame. I think they’re just overreacting to the law currently though. I think it’ll eventually settle down.

Ive seen a couple of smaller site owners do it already, which is a shame. I think they’re just overreacting to the law currently though. I think it’ll eventually settle down.
Any examples?
Seems rather interesting, considering the law is basically just here to delete information of customers or members that are no longer active.
And even then, deletion is becomes required when information is linked to the real life person, so just a mere username and an anonymous email address is OK, but a physical address is problematic.

Edit:
Never mind, I already found this article on my own:
https://gizmodo.com/dozens-of-american-news-sites-blocked-in-europe-as-gdpr-1826319542

As one would expect, I have full access to all these websites myself, so I've let some people in Europe test some links, and it seems like they indeed blocked access from Europe.

And as one would expect:
https://gizmodo.com/facebook-and-google-accused-of-violating-gdpr-on-first-1826321323

Last edited:
I think the privacy protection laws are a good thing, at least one good law coming from the EU.
But at the same time, I think it's too harsh and too inclusive.

Like, I am located in the far east, but only because I provide services to EU customers, I have to comply to the laws any way, or I'll get fined by lots of money.
So I do understand the frustration from non-EU companies here, but it would also be hypocrite to complain while lots of American laws are being dictated worldwide as well, in much bigger numbers, and are commonly even more aggressive too (especially because if countries decide to do something else, they'll get bombed and overthrown).

I use to manage all my hosting myself, someone offered a better deal but sadly at the cost of me fully able to work the back end.
So going from self-hosting to managed hosting?
Makes sense if you're not as knowledgeable or if you want to concentrate more on your core tasks, but it's something I'll never do.
But indeed it makes me much less active as a blog/news writer (which I don't do for years any way), but at least it makes no difference for programming stuff.

So going from self-hosting to managed hosting?
Makes sense if you're not as knowledgeable or if you want to concentrate more on your core tasks, but it's something I'll never do.
But indeed it makes me much less active as a blog/news writer (which I don't do for years any way), but at least it makes no difference for programming stuff.
I agree, I'd rather have the full control personally, even at a higher cost.

Back