Games you wouldn't/shouldn't play in the dark?

NintenDan

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
As I sit in the dark, I can hear a strange humming noise which is freaking the hell out of me. Anyway, what are some games that you can't/shouldn't play in the dark?

For me, I couldn't manage to play Dementium on the DS. Even if I was tucked under the covers of the ol' bed.

Luigi's Mansion? No problem. Though I might get a little spooked if it was my first time with that game. Dementium on the other hand, hell no.

I can't think of many other notable examples, but I'm sure most of the Resident Evil games would be prime candidates.

resident evil is a great thing to not play at night even when you are at your bed next to a window i would not play resident evil at night

Twilight covered areas (Zelda TP)

A game that's very bright. It could hurt your eyes.

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time's Shadow Temple/Bottom of the Well. Especially if you hate Redeads and Gibdos...

Even more so on Master Quest, where they're placed right behind doors and fake walls...

Dead Space. I can hardly play that game in the light, let alone the dark. I needed like every light on to play at my friends' house.

SMG isn't a game, Yoshian12....

Lol SMG!

But seriously.... I think Yoshi's Story is one of the scariest games around... I mean come on.... YOU GET EATEN BY GIANT FLYING FISH!

And if that's not scary enough, then you have a REALLY strong stomach.

SMG isn't a game, Yoshian12....

Lol SMG!

But seriously.... I think Yoshi's Story is one of the scariest games around... I mean come on.... YOU GET EATEN BY GIANT FLYING FISH!

And if that's not scary enough, then you have a REALLY strong stomach.
What about Super Mario Bros. 3? There's also a giant fish that eats you. It's pretty terrifying too.

I'm with Kirby_Z. Doom 64 also scared the crap out of me when I was younger. I couldn't be left alone in the room without me running out in horror.

Last edited by a moderator:
resident evil is a great thing to not play at night even when you are at your bed next to a window i would not play resident evil at night
Why would you play it close to a window? So they could eat you while you looked away from it?

I ALWAYS play Resident Evil in the dark. Also, I used to live in an apartment in a bad part of town, so when I played RE5 next to the window, it was like I had surround sound!
biggrin.gif
*rimshot!

But Resident Evil Revelations is definitely good in the dark as they do several flashlight areas and the 3D effects pop more in the dark without hurting your eyes.

I have not played many different horror games, but I like those. Some of the scarier ones would just freak me out. I could only play them if I had a friend nearby to laugh at how I jump (so I could at least be entertaining about it).

Dementium 2 with some earbuds on. Try it, it's pretty fun.

What a game that was. Remember that cave part where you could hear that monster moaning?

And don't get me started on that very first boss, dear lord was that freaky.

Why would you play it close to a window? So they could eat you while you looked away from it?

I ALWAYS play Resident Evil in the dark. Also, I used to live in an apartment in a bad part of town, so when I played RE5 next to the window, it was like I had surround sound!
biggrin.gif
*rimshot!

But Resident Evil Revelations is definitely good in the dark as they do several flashlight areas and the 3D effects pop more in the dark without hurting your eyes.

I have not played many different horror games, but I like those. Some of the scarier ones would just freak me out. I could only play them if I had a friend nearby to laugh at how I jump (so I could at least be entertaining about it).
Wow. I have RE4 for the Wii and I can't even play it in broad day light. I'm only on chapter 2 or 3 and I'm scared to play any further because I'm in some house and I'm afraid the game is going to pop scare me in a random corner. Man I can't handel horror games well at all.

Timesplitters 2 freaked me out when I was younger (the first level that is full of zombies and gouls). Dead Space is the game that currently scares the crap out of me. Very scary game at night!

Back