• No, and I don't plan to

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
I'm planning to do that for my iPhone, I just keep forgetting to get round to it. Too sidetracked by homebrew on the 3DS, ROM hacks, gaming sites, etc.

But what about you? Have you jailbroken your phone yet?

Not sure what that means so no. And by the sounds of it, it sounds bad, so I would never.

Not sure what that means so no. And by the sounds of it, it sounds bad, so I would never.
It's not CP! XD It's when someone wants all the access to many of the apps online without paying the bills.

ROFL

It's not CP! XD It's when someone wants all the access to many of the apps online without paying the bills.
Not necessarily, that's an exceedingly limited viewpoint of all the various uses of jailbreaking a phone. It's just putting a custom operating system on it, and/or doing other tweaks. While yes, it can aid in pirating software, it can also do wonderful things like removing all the bloatware the cell phone companies and their paid affiliates fill half your phone's memory with, improving performance, allowing you to customize the UI more then you usually could, etc. You usually don't need to jailbreak them to play pirated games anyway.

In some cases, you can jailbreak Apple devices to allow them to do things they should rightfully already be able to do, or make features they're putting behind a ridiculous paywall free- my husband had the first Iphone when it came out (Only because it was really the first smart phone out there, at least widely available here, and he loves tech) and he had to jailbreak the thing to let him put a custom text tone on it. I don't know if it's still that way, but later devices apparently kept you from putting a custom ringtone unless it was bought through Apple's store- as if custom ringtones hadn't been available for free on essentially every phone for years before that. Both my old flip Razer's could do that.

Anyway, not my current phone no. We have the Galaxy Note 3s, and my husband's jailbroken his, but it's causing some issues with it. I wanted to do it to mine to get all the BS Samsung/ESPN/T-Mobile crap off of mine, free up the space it's using (though I don't really need it with the huge memory card in it) and get that crap to stop wasting my battery by updating and being annoying by it's existence and whatnot- but we haven't had much luck in finding a break that can remove that stuff without breaking the phone. They worm it all through all the inner workings, then the phone just doesn't work right when it's gone... The only reason I've ever opened most of the 'included' apps any of my phones is by accident; there's just better apps you can download in most cases.

I forget what our last phones were, but from the around the middle of the time we had them to when we upgraded we had them jailbroken with custom operating systems on them. The phones were older since we had them so long, and the custom OS ran better on them then the official, and successfully got rid of the bloatware that was on them too, making them a lot faster. Plus, there was some neat UI stuff we could do with them jailbroken if I recall... that was like two years ago though.

ROFL

Not necessarily, that's an exceedingly limited viewpoint of all the various uses of jailbreaking a phone. It's just putting a custom operating system on it, and/or doing other tweaks. While yes, it can aid in pirating software, it can also do wonderful things like removing all the bloatware the cell phone companies and their paid affiliates fill half your phone's memory with, improving performance, allowing you to customize the UI more then you usually could, etc. You usually don't need to jailbreak them to play pirated games anyway.

In some cases, you can jailbreak Apple devices to allow them to do things they should rightfully already be able to do, or make features they're putting behind a ridiculous paywall free- my husband had the first Iphone when it came out (Only because it was really the first smart phone out there, at least widely available here, and he loves tech) and he had to jailbreak the thing to let him put a custom text tone on it. I don't know if it's still that way, but later devices apparently kept you from putting a custom ringtone unless it was bought through Apple's store- as if custom ringtones hadn't been available for free on essentially every phone for years before that. Both my old flip Razer's could do that.

Anyway, not my current phone no. We have the Galaxy Note 3s, and my husband's jailbroken his, but it's causing some issues with it. I wanted to do it to mine to get all the BS Samsung/ESPN/T-Mobile crap off of mine, free up the space it's using (though I don't really need it with the huge memory card in it) and get that crap to stop wasting my battery by updating and being annoying by it's existence and whatnot- but we haven't had much luck in finding a break that can remove that stuff without breaking the phone. They worm it all through all the inner workings, then the phone just doesn't work right when it's gone... The only reason I've ever opened most of the 'included' apps any of my phones is by accident; there's just better apps you can download in most cases.

I forget what our last phones were, but from the around the middle of the time we had them to when we upgraded we had them jailbroken with custom operating systems on them. The phones were older since we had them so long, and the custom OS ran better on them then the official, and successfully got rid of the bloatware that was on them too, making them a lot faster. Plus, there was some neat UI stuff we could do with them jailbroken if I recall... that was like two years ago though.
You should've brought an iPhone 6 instead. lol Apple is better than the other competition. I have an iPhone 5 and next year or the months after summer. A new iPhone 6 is coming out and it'll look better than the other iPhones because of its hard ass shell and light weight due to the #BenderGate debacle. lol

You should've brought an iPhone 6 instead. lol Apple is better than the other competition. I have an iPhone 5 and next year or the months after summer. A new iPhone 6 is coming out and it'll look better than the other iPhones because of its hard ass shell and light weight due to the #BenderGate debacle. lol
I don't do Apple, thanks. I prefer not to waste my money just to (apparently) 'look cool' when I can get comparable, or in many cases better, products elsewhere for far less.

Nah, if I was younger I'd probably try to do it, but now I just don't care.

Nah, if I was younger I'd probably try to do it, but now I just don't care.

This, really. I remember having the first gen iPod Touch back in the day, and that got jailbroken the moment it became possible. Now my current iPhone 5? Meh, couldn't care less. I'm too old to bother tinkering with my devices anymore, as the stuff that I need already works as it should, and jailbreaking my phone would not add any benefit whatsoever. Sure it wouldn't take any out either, but for me it would just be a waste of time.

Well (IMO) they are locked down for support reasons: Phone vendors have to support their devices and if they start allowing people to install custom roms or unsupported OS on those devices then support would be a nightmare.

There does need to be a disclaimer with rooting though, if you root you got to know what your doing at all times. Now I can root because I know how to fix or get a fix but my parents could never root since they don't know much about tech.

There does need to be a disclaimer with rooting though, if you root you got to know what your doing at all times. Now I can root because I know how to fix or get a fix but my parents could never root since they don't know much about tech.
This but then at the same time even if you know what you are doing you can still brick your phone to the point where you can't get back to how it was before you started playing around with. It's like playing around with the BIOS on your motherboard (although there is some safety features though).

I did with my iPhone 2 and never again. I had nothing but problems with it after I jailbroke it. For me, I only wanted one program and it wasn't worth having the phone so slow and broken after. Never again.

This but then at the same time even if you know what you are doing you can still brick your phone to the point where you can't get back to how it was before you started playing around with. It's like playing around with the BIOS on your motherboard (although there is some safety features though).

that's why you really have to be careful and whatever you do make sure there is a good guide on how to do it which it documents any recovery that can be done if it does brick.

Back