How difficult should a game be?

How difficult should a game be?

• Insanely hard to the point of requiring tool assistance (Platform or Bullet Hell)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Difficult, but more Battletoads or Ninja Gaiden type difficult

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Mario/Nintendo difficult, aka like the Lost Levels, Special World levels, Pokemon endgame stuff, Cav

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Standard game difficulty, like a Nintendo game prior to special levels or your standard blockbuster

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Easy, along the lines of Kirby games or Luigi's Mansion

• Extremely easy, ala Yoshi's Story or Topsy Turvy

• No difficulty at all, like Mario educational games from the 80s and 90s

• Total voters

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Basically, everyone has their own choices in video games, right? Well how difficult do you prefer your games to be?

Do you prefer insanely difficult games like Kaizo Mario, I Wanna Be the Guy or those bullet hell shoot em ups?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZuidKexBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzKnYwFS1U8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhG_zm8GrIY

More 'fair' but over the top difficulty like Battletoads?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE-L22baYcs

Or do you prefer more normal levels of difficulty like that in most Mario, Zelda or Pokemon games? Or even easy games like Yoshi's Story or Luigi's Mansion?

How difficult do you think a game should be?

I'd say Nintendo difficulty. Like it's hard, but fair. Battletoads is hard and... reallly unfair. Same with most rom hacks.

Though that doesn't mean games should always be like that. I mean I couldn't image a child playing and beating a game like Battletoads without quitting for many years.

They should be in between. Like a Mixture of Easy, Medium, Hard and Very hard. But, that's just me. I love advanced/very hard video games!

Ninja Gaiden is not in the same category as Battletoads, but the original TMNT game is. So I say Ninja Gaiden difficulty all the way.

Kirby=Easy

Megaman series except part 1=Medium

Mario Lost levels/Zelda 2=Hard

Ninja Gaiden/Megaman 1 = Very Hard

BattleToads/TMNT= fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

It should be hard enough to be a challenge but still easy enough to be played all the way through (e.g. the Master System version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2), but not hard enough to make it near impossible to progress to the second stage without the use of cheating devices (e.g. the Game Gear version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2)

First game had to be Jap. lol.

A game should be hard enough to be fun.

It's like spices, hot but still enjoyable.

e.g. Catherine.

Depends on what game it is. I personally enjoy owning a variety of games with different difficulty levels. I like difficult Zelda and F-Zero games, while I think its necessary to have pick-up and play Mario and Mario Kart games.

Depends on what game it is. I personally enjoy owning a variety of games with different difficulty levels. I like difficult Zelda and F-Zero games, while I think its necessary to have pick-up and play Mario and Mario Kart games.
I agree, it's nice to have games of different difficulties. You can easily open up a game on your phone when you just want to spend some time and relax, something simple and relaxing, and when you really want some gaming, you can sit down, allocate some time, and play more intense action games that you're not going to get through the first time.

I think developers should be held accountable to decide what difficulty fits their game the best. There should be settings to fit more people, but there should be a set idea of how they want the game to play and how hard it should be. A lot of intense games would be lame if you could just walk through everything, but at the same time, so many games would lose their charm if they were migraine inducingly difficult.

Who wants to run through the levels of Metal Gear Solid and one hit the boss? Who wants to try 80 times toss King Bobomb around?
It's really the game that decides what the difficulty should be.

I would vote, but there isn't an option for multiple difficulties. I like it best when there's an option to pick the difficulty of the game, like the new Fire Emblem game. It gives me options to play on a casual difficulty level, while others can play on the normal 'a teammate dies, it's dead' type difficulty. I'm more interested in experiencing the gameplay and story, rather then having to play levels over and over because you have to be perfect to win.

Back