How long have you been on forums?

searched around and found this one, stayed with it since october 2017. However, there were some other ones. I just stopped being active on there since 2007. I'm sure my account is deleted by now. this makes the second forum site for me.

searched around and found this one, stayed with it since october 2017. However, there were some other ones. I just stopped being active on there since 2007. I'm sure my account is deleted by now. this makes the second forum site for me.
Most forum owners don't delete user's account as long as you have content on your account. I'm sure it's still sitting pretty on the forum.

Most forum owners don't delete user's account as long as you have content on your account. I'm sure it's still sitting pretty on the forum.
Yeah never really seen the point In removing inactive accounts. Not something I'd do.

Yeah never really seen the point In removing inactive accounts. Not something I'd do.

It's to make the stats look better for the site.

It doesn't make sense to me either... Most people wouldn't even join forums and someone who joined and made posts would be removed for being inactive? It doesn't check out at all.

I started back in around 2015 all thanks to Habbo Hotel LOL XD But my First Forum Job as Mod staff was back in 2016
Which forum was that where you worked as a staff? Mine was Rival Gaming :grin:

Which forum was that where you worked as a staff? Mine was Rival Gaming :grin:
DPWS MEDIA

Some Teenage forum I forgot the the name (as I was a teenager back then as well)

I opened a gaming forum in 2016 and then new one at the end with @Gabots it ran for a few months but closed again due to user activity

DPWS MEDIA

Some Teenage forum I forgot the the name (as I was a teenager back then as well)

I opened a gaming forum in 2016 and then new one at the end with @Gabots it ran for a few months but closed again due to user activity
Getting a decent user activity on new forums is always very challenging. Most forums went extinct as a result of it.

More than a decade o.o
About 11 years or so but not more than that o.o. Back in 2012- 2013 .... I was a complete newbie to gadgets

It's been more than 26 years when I started using forums. It was a gaming and a music forum I can remember joining then but unfortunately I can't recall their names. Social media have tried to kill off forums but it haven't succeeded.

15 years or so.

Forums have come a long way all thanks to each and everyone of us who supported its preservation till date.
I agree! Even though the rise of social media has caused some forums some forums to decline over the years, there’s still a lot of them that still remain active to this day. Without forums, i dont think social media would of been so successful.

I've been on forums for about 22 years now.. and I wouldn't worry about them going away anytime soon. As it is, a lot of people on social media have come to lament the fact that [from their perspective] there doesn't seem to be any other alternative to the impersonal nature of these platforms and have wanted for more in depth meaningful discussions about the things they are interested in and this is truly where forums have ALWAYS shined.

The people who left Reddit after their API protest, have started forums of their own. Twitter is becoming a shit show and has been since Musk took over and people are leaving that too.. some for decentralized services like Mastodon and Lemmy, a lot of the legal and journalist accounts have gone to Substack or Patreon, I've heard about people going back to Tumblr and MySpace.. or they are starting their own forums too.

I have seen people restart the same forums they had years ago and even reach out to me when they saw I was on FP and asked me if I still ran my forum. I am, and we're going on 20 years this November, but life is a but busy for me at the moment, but things are calming down now. I have seen both Discord and Telegram take on elements from forums to make their app more social. You can make polls, threads and individual topics, etc. within a group.

Seasoned forum admins saw the writing on the wall when these new social media services got popular and we stayed the course as we knew that even that popularity would wane.

Personally speaking, I use both Discord and Telegram and I own a forum and I plan to integrate all 3 but for different purposes. Which is ironic because I started a forum because I was tired of how limited chats were with its line by line interface.

So I would argue that forums are here to stay.. and they are now going through a renaissance of their own and forum owners should seize upon the moment and take full advantage of the fact that forums fulfill a need that the newer platforms and chat services cannot.

Back