I want a serious opinion

Awards
Credits
OK, I'm sure I've made many topics like this, but this one isn't a joke topic like the last one or whatever.

Are these tech specs for a computer good?

• Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • Processor: Intel Core i7 processor 860 Intel P55 PCH
  • Memory: 8GB DDR3-SDRAM 4 DIMM sockets
  • Storage: 1.28 TB (2 x 640GB) SATA 3G Hard Disk Drive (7200 rpm), up to 13 GB partition for system recovery
  • HP Pocket Media Drive (sold separately)
  • Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe Technology (Create silkscreen-quality disc labels direct from your PC with LightScribe: Just burn, flip, burn.)
  • 5 in 1 memory card reader
  • Display: LCD Monitors (buy separately): HP 2009v 20 inch Wide Flat Panel Monitor, HP 2159m 21.5 inch Wide Flat Panel Monitor, HP 2229h Wide Flat Panel Monitor, HP 2309m 23 inch Wide Flat Panel Monitor, HP 2509m 25 inch Wide Flat Panel Monitor
  • Communication: Ethernet 10/100BT integrated network interface, Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n, PCI-Ex1
  • Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 Special Edition, 1792 MB dedicated memory, up to 5374 MB total available graphics memory (as allocated by Windows 7)
  • HDMI/DVI port, VGA/DVI port
  • Sound: High Definition Audio 7.1 2 front audio ports, 6 rear analog audio ports & 1 rear digital audio port;Included accessories Wireless keyboard and optical mouse;Ports 2 external optical drive bays, 2 internal HDD bays, 1 Pocket Media Drive bay, Landing pad for USB & 1394 devices 1 PCI-Express 16x 3 PCI-Express 1x (2 free) 8 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front) 2 FireWire-IEEE-1394 ports (1 in front)
  • Additional information P/N: VN423AA #ABU, UPC/EAN code: 884962430804
  • Weight: Out of package: 11.8kg, Packed: 13kg
  • Dimensions: Out of package: 179 x 422.2 x 401.2 mm, Packed: 290 x 500 x 516 mm
  • Warranty: 1 year, pick-up and return, parts and labour (You can expand the warranty coverage of your product up to 3 years)
  • Software: HP MediaSmart Suite (Music, Video, DVD, Photo), Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Media Player, Windows Movie Maker, Windows DVD Maker, Cyberlink DVDSuite, EasyBits Magic Desktop, HP Games Console (with hours of free game play), Microsoft Works and Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007(60-Day Trial Version), Microsoft Internet Explorer, Windows Mail, Windows Media Center
  • Recovery partition (including possibility to recover system, applications and drivers separately), Optional re-allocation of recovery partition, Recovery CD/DVD creation tool
  • Symantec Norton Internet Security 2009 (60 days live update)
I'm not bothered about the fact it has Office 2007, because I can just install Office 2010.
Price-wise, it's £1499.99

Wait ignore that, here's a seemingly better one.... here's a description of one:

The HP Pavilion Elite HPE-590uk is driven by a powerful quad-core Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor and comes with the 64-bit version of the operating system from Microsoft pre-installed. Combining style and the functionality to satisfy for all your computing and multimedia needs, features include 8GB of RAM and a 1.5TB hard drive give you seamless multitasking and storage space respectively.The HP Pavilion Elite HPE-590uk contains several impressive features including an nVIDIA GeForce GT420 with PureVideo® graphics processor with up to 2GB of dedicated memory. Indulge in gaming, or pop your favourite Blu-ray Disc into the SuperMulti DVD drive with Blu-ray and LightScribe support! Your movie sessions are bound to get bigger and better with this desktop, thanks to its 7.1-channel high-definition audio and integrated Realtek sound card.Connectivity options are very comprehensive on this desktop with DVI and HDMI and FireWire ports, 8 USB 2.0 ports and a 15-in-1 memory card reader. It also has 5 different PCI extensions slots that allow you to customise or expand your computer. Ethernet LAN and 802.11b/g/n WiFi keep you connected, and the analogue and DVB-T TV Tuner card also lets you watch your favourite television channels on your computer screen!Choose the HP Pavilion Elite HPE-590uk to elevate your everyday computing and digital entertainment.

In short:
1.5 TB of hard drive space
8 GB of RAM
3.4 GHz CPU (Core i7-2600)
Up to 2 GB dedicated memory with the GPU (nVIDIA GeForce GT420 with PureVideo)
10 USB 2.0 ports (no USB 3.0 <______<)
and other stuffs

As far as processors go, this is pretty damn recent as the core i7-2600 was only released on January 9, 2011, unlike the processor on this lap top which was released in Q1 2008, or the one on my current Desktop PC, which must date to at least late 2006, or early 2007, since I only got it in March 2007.

So I don't know a ton about PC specs, but those look pretty solid. I mean, unless you plan on eating up CPU with heavy gaming, that all looks sufficient. Not to mention that you'd need oodles and oodles of files to take up that HDD anytime soon.

I have a 2.72 TB hard drive, so beat that.... but it's external, which isn't necessarily good, especially if you read that topic where I complain about malfunctioning.

That seems pretty good to me. Better than mine, which was about $900 not including discounts and HP employee discount (from my dad.)

That is more than enough to play any game you want on storage high settings. Games like Starcraft II might be a little hiccupy on Ultra settings and 8 players, but I'm pretty sure you don't play Starcraft, nor am I exactly sure of the actual scenario either.

Seems pretty solid for todays standards. I'd say take it, assuming you want a general personal computer.

Back