Installing Bigger Hard Drive on a PS4

I just don't see what the point of not providing more memory in the first pace would be. I wonder if they ever think that the amount of potential PS4 consumers and games bought can be reduced by them making these types of decisions.

I just don't see what the point of not providing more memory in the first pace would be. I wonder if they ever think that the amount of potential PS4 consumers and games bought can be reduced by them making these types of decisions.

installing bigger memory means a bigger price for the console.

I've been planning on upgrading to 2TB hard drive in my PS4 for a while now. It's quite inconvenient to have to uninstall games on my 500GB hard drive in order to install new ones, would be a lot nicer with some extra space. Looks pretty easy to do.

I've been planning on upgrading to 2TB hard drive in my PS4 for a while now. It's quite inconvenient to have to uninstall games on my 500GB hard drive in order to install new ones, would be a lot nicer with some extra space. Looks pretty easy to do.

do you have good internet? Would be a pain later if you want to redownload some games.

There's going to come a time when Sony will offer the infinite cloud system that they've been talking about for a number of years now.

While it might make sense to offer the console with a bigger hard drive, wouldn't it be more sensible to concentrate on offering unlimited storage offline?

There's going to come a time when Sony will offer the infinite cloud system that they've been talking about for a number of years now.

While it might make sense to offer the console with a bigger hard drive, wouldn't it be more sensible to concentrate on offering unlimited storage offline?

just as long as its offline only.

Damn, I figured the best amount of memory to have for the PS4 was a couple of terabits. I mean even with my PS3 back in the days I felt like the memory didn't cut it. It had GB's in the hundreds range which would have held up at one point in time but its obvious the game files are too large these days. Makes software seem more appealing when you think about it cause I mean imagine if some of those files get corrupted and mess up your collection. I'd be super pissed even tho it has never really happened to me before, lol

do you have good internet? Would be a pain later if you want to redownload some games.
I have pretty good internet, but my PS4 is connected wireless and doesn't get too good of download speed. Not too bad, but still takes some time. It's more just inconvenient of having to look at my downloaded games and delete a few games to get double the amount of space I need for the new game. I think I remember seeing there was only one 2TB 2.5-inch hard drive that works with the PS4, andh some people reported it slowed down the system, crashed, makes beeping noises, etc. so that is why I've been delaying the upgrade. I really do need to look into those claims again though.

Well, it depends on how hardcore of a gamer you are and how much space you'll need for downloading games. Personally, I probably wouldn't need it but I can see how it would come in handy for some people.

I think I remember seeing there was only one 2TB 2.5-inch hard drive that works with the PS4, and some people reported it slowed down the system, crashed, makes beeping noises, etc. so that is why I've been delaying the upgrade. I really do need to look into those claims again though.

Problems like slow hard drives, crashes, beeping noises, and other problems can happen when installing a new hard drive into the PS4, and even when installing a hard drive onto a laptop, and desktop computer where installing a hard drive can cause problems if your PC's motherboard's firmware/BIOS is not compatible with the hard drive.

The PS4 firmware may also not of been made to work with as many different brands of hard drives compared to desktop computers where the firmware is designed to work with many brands and models of hard drives.

I upgraded my hard drive to a 1 terabyte one and it went very well it is relatively simple to change and now I have space to download a lot of my games

My siblings recently upgraded their launch day PS4 from a 500GB drive to a 4TB 7200rpm drive.

It did not go well.

Since the upgrade they've been stuck in a safe mode boot lock. The system only boots into safemode. Though if you select the restart PS4 option it will boot normally. They've tried:
- reformatting the harddrive (long mode, which took 6 hours) and installing the latest firmware (5.03).
- reformatting the drive (quick mode) and reinstalling firmware.
- rebuilding database (multiple times, which did let it start up normally after the database rebuild completed... but it went right back to safemode on next boot.)
- powering down, unplugging PS4, waiting 10 minutes and replugging it in/powering it up.
- resetting to default settings
- reinstalling the firmware (no wipe)
- reinstalling the firmware (overwriting existing firmware)

So far there doesn't seem to be any kind of fix for this problem. Though at least the system does seem to work normally once it gets out of safe mode.

My siblings recently upgraded their launch day PS4 from a 500GB drive to a 4TB 7200rpm drive.

It did not go well.

Since the upgrade they've been stuck in a safe mode boot lock. The system only boots into safemode. Though if you select the restart PS4 option it will boot normally. They've tried:
- reformatting the harddrive (long mode, which took 6 hours) and installing the latest firmware (5.03).
- reformatting the drive (quick mode) and reinstalling firmware.
- rebuilding database (multiple times, which did let it start up normally after the database rebuild completed... but it went right back to safemode on next boot.)
- powering down, unplugging PS4, waiting 10 minutes and replugging it in/powering it up.
- resetting to default settings
- reinstalling the firmware (no wipe)
- reinstalling the firmware (overwriting existing firmware)

So far there doesn't seem to be any kind of fix for this problem. Though at least the system does seem to work normally once it gets out of safe mode.

I'm confused, if it works fine out of safe mode what is the issue? Or does it have to boot into safe mode and then into normal boot?

That aside, a 4 TB shouldn't be able to fit inside of a PS4 unless they are using an extension cable.

On start up (either pushing the power button on the system or PS button on controller) it goes right into safe mode. Once in safe mode if restarted by the option or going through rebuild database it'll load normally that time. But once you shut it down again it wants to start in safemode again. It's just an extra step to get the system up and running is all.

And yes, it's using a Nyko databank expansion component to allow a 3.5" hard drive to be used.

On start up (either pushing the power button on the system or PS button on controller) it goes right into safe mode. Once in safe mode if restarted by the option or going through rebuild database it'll load normally that time. But once you shut it down again it wants to start in safemode again. It's just an extra step to get the system up and running is all.

And yes, it's using a Nyko databank expansion component to allow a 3.5" hard drive to be used.

I would ask Sony about it, but I'm sure the use of a 3rd party addon void any help or warranty.

I really do not get it why most people need a larger space. My PS4 cannot even reach half of my hard drive. I only play 1 game at a time with no updates and patch (Yes I played Assassin's creed unity without updating). I also (almost) never connected my PS4 on the internet, just first when I had to set up it and sometimes when I want to change my avatar and buy themes. I also don't get why people install and play multiple games.

I would suggest that rather than opening up and risking damage to the system, you should use external drives. You can get external ssd drives easily.

Back