froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
The latest research numbers from Gartner reveal that iOS and Android are inching ever closer towards completely owning 100% of the entire global smartphone market. According to the latest figures, sales of Android and iOS handsets during the recent June quarter accounted for 99.1% of all smartphone sales worldwide. Broken down by platform, Android devices accounted for 86.2% of sales while iPhone sales accounted for 12.9% of sales.

As evidenced by the chart below, sales of Windows and Blackberry devices have effectively been reduced down to mere footnotes. The share of Windows devices, for example, dropped down from an already unimpressive 2.5% during the June 2015 quarter to just 0.6% during the most recent quarter.

Read More

I think the cheaper and smaller iPhone SE helped the iPhone have 12.9 % of smartphone sales because the iPhone SE cost less than the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus. Some of the people who considered getting an Android phone may of gotten an iPhone SE because the iPhone SE is about the same price as many Android phones.

A lot of people buy Android phones because they are more affordable, and there are many different models of Android phones to choose from.

I wonder if some of the people buying Windows Phone will install Android onto them to use as a cheap Android phone.

I think many of the 0.6% Windows Phone buyers are most likely Microsoft Employees, Microsoft Windows Fans and App makers who make apps for Windows Phone. There maybe some poor people who are buying a Windows Phone because you can buy one for $25 or less on sites like Amazon or eBay.

This absolutely sucks. We need more diversity. We basically have to choose between cheap ugly phones and very expensive good phones.

If you don't care about using apps, and games, regular and alternative smartphones could be a good option.

There are still regular non-smart cell phones with a limited number of pre-install apps like Calculator, contacts, basic notes app, and games like Tetris, Pong, etc.

Users can also get a Ubuntu smartphone which runs Ubuntu Linux, but Ubuntu phones are not available in most retail store, and the only way to get one is by ordering it from a website. I think some Ubuntu phones let you run full Desktop Linux apps like Gimp image editor, and LibreOffice when you connect the phone to a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I think most users of smartphones don't really care for diversity, and picks the smartphone which they can afford and has their favorite apps, games, and features like a high quality camera, and a lot of storage.

This absolutely sucks. We need more diversity. We basically have to choose between cheap ugly phones and very expensive good phones.

where I do expect a sleek look from a $600 phone, I mostly care how it works not how it looks. Phone covers can also fix this.

It's funny because 95% of users already assumed Android and iOS were the "only options" Windows phones were such a flop.. I did like the layout though. I wish my android had a more visually appealing layout. Also the only thing I use case for is for safety of the phone, I don't care what my phone looks like. I don't even use the data and crap on it.. I only play one or two little games..

The main reason which has been discussed before I think, I can't remember if I brought it up or not, but the reason for the high prices of phones are because of patent trolls.

I wish my android had a more visually appealing layout.

There are third-party homescreen launchers, widgets, and apps for Android which makes Android's homescreen launcher look like iOS, or Windows Phone.

I personally enjoy simple homescreen layout where I can launch apps quickly and easily since I just use the homescreen for launching apps, so I rarely stay on the homescreen for a long time.

There are third-party homescreen launchers, widgets, and apps for Android which makes Android's homescreen launcher look like iOS, or Windows Phone.

I personally enjoy simple homescreen layout where I can launch apps quickly and easily since I just use the homescreen for launching apps, so I rarely stay on the homescreen for a long time.
Yea, but that requires jailbreaking.. and I just don't want to do that with a new phone, if the phone was old and banged up I wouldn't care. lol I only use my screen to open up a quick app, but sometimes I like to have a neat looking layout.

Yea, but that requires jailbreaking.. and I just don't want to do that with a new phone, if the phone was old and banged up I wouldn't care. lol I only use my screen to open up a quick app, but sometimes I like to have a neat looking layout.

I think most Android launchers like Nova, GO, CM, and APUS Launcher don't need jailbreaking/rooting, and can be installed on a non-rooted phone.

But, iOS need jailbreaking for changing the appearance of your homescreen.

That's something. I didn't know that android and ios would dominate the mobile os world like windows in computer world....

Back