Is the Nintendo Switch worth getting if you don't own a TV or monitor?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think the Nintendo Switch may not be worth getting if you don't own, or plan on getting a TV or monitor unless you just want to play Nintendo games on the Nintendo Switch tablet.

The Nintendo 3DS and other gaming handhelds maybe more worth it for people who don't own a TV or monitor, and have no plans on getting a TV or monitor in the near future.

The 3DS currently have many good games for it, and cost less than most handheld and consoles.

Who doesn't own some kind of output device in the form of a screen?

But yeah, if you lack it the Switch would be perfect.

Who doesn't own some kind of output device in the form of a screen?

But yeah, if you lack it the Switch would be perfect.

There are some poor people who don't own or can afford a TV, and kids who parents don't want their kid's to own a TV. A lot of people don't own monitors because they only use laptops, and tablets where it is harder to use the screen for plugging in a console unless you buy a USB video capture box, and your laptop or tablet is fast enough to capture live gameplay video.

I agree the Switch could be the perfect console for someone who want to play console games, but don't own a TV. The screen on the Switch is bigger than most handhelds.

Then how can they afford buying a console?

They can save money by eating less food, using less electricity, water, and gas. They can do odd and part-time jobs like collecting soda cans and metal to exchange for cash, shoveling snow, yard work to save money to buy a game console.

They can also sell some of their old stuff like books, games, older consoles, musical instruments and other stuff to afford a console.

A lot of poor people still earn some money, but they sometimes can't afford both a TV and console because they just have enough money for one thing at a time.

If I was in a financial crisis and had to choose between a tv and a console, I'd buy a tv. It just seems more useful to me.

If I was in a financial crisis and had to choose between a tv and a console, I'd buy a tv. It just seems more useful to me.

If the Switch is a great console, I probably pick the Nintendo Switch to play games on its tablet over a TV if I had money problems because I can temporarily borrow a TV from my family members, friends, and co-workers who live close to me. I also enjoy playing games with friends and family members when I have a chance. There are also a lot of fun multiplayer games like Smash Bros which need a second player to play with.

Some public places like a library, school, and community center sometimes let people use their TV after work hours, or when it is not busy.

I feel TV is less useful for poor people who can't afford a monthly cable TV and Netflix subscription and high speed internet connection for Netflix. There are fewer video rental stores now to rent Blu-Ray and DVD movies to watch at home now, and movie disc usually cost $10 and up for the cheapest movies, so they can end up costing a lot if you buy many movies.

Sometimes, it is possible to get a used TV from family members, friends, Craigslist and other classifieds websites for free when someone is moving, or don't have space for a new TV at their new apartment or home, or because they upgraded their TV, so if you wait, you can get one for free or a very low price like $50.

Depending on how good the Switch tablet is, it maybe able to replace a laptop for basic laptop users who only use their laptop for Facebook, Instagram, Netflix, YouTube, e-mail, YouTube, and other social and content viewing tasks.

Depends what you want. Really though, if you play games on handheld consoles (like the 3DS or Vita), then the Switch is probably going to be a good investment. If you like Nintendo games, then it's probably gonna be a good investment.

If you're trying to avoid buying a PC or TV screen... eh, maybe, maybe not.

I heard about rumors on blogs that say the Switch will have a projector which project the video of the game onto a wall or projector's screen.

But, I think the rumor is likely to be untrue because a projector will make the Switch slightly more expensive.

I think in the future, there would be a console with a built-in video projector once projectors become cheap enough to install on electronics sort of like how a lot of things like computers and laptops have a touchscreen tablet built-into the glass screen.

I personally have enjoyed every product I've bought from Nintendo (yes even the Wii U. So making the switch to the Nintendo Switch (no pun intended) is a no brainer for me :/

Back