Likelihood of a Wii U price drop?

Joker99352

Awards
Credits
What do you think the chances are that the Wii U will go down in price sometime soon? I'd like to get one at some point, but I'm not real crazy about the price tag right now. I mostly want to get caught up on all the Wii games that I missed, but I also like the idea of the virtual console. The other thing that turned me off of the Wii U as a whole was the controller, which I thought should have been a separate accessory rather than the standard. At least there's the pro controller, but it's not compatible with Wii games so that's another thing to take into consideration.

I think it will obviously go down. I don't think the Wii U sold well, did it? Along with the DS XL. The DS XL had a price drop a few months after its release. This means if the Wii U isn't selling well, there will be a price drop. Maybe check on Ebay for some deals? If people aren't satisfied with their console, they'll probably put it up for a relatively cheap price. Good luck!

I'm not looking to buy right away, but I'd certainly be more interested if it were to drop in price soon. I don't have the money for it at the moment, but it's more a matter of saving up for it at this point. Even if I had the money for it, I'd need more money for games and whatnot. But I think you're right--the Wii U hasn't really been selling that well, and that's unlikely to change unless they change something about it (hopefully the price).

I'm a huge Nintendo fan and own a Wii U, but even I believe we'll have a price drop for the holiday season. They really need to push sales up big time, and we have a bunch of quality software coming next year, so I think they'll drop the price to get those games in as many houses as possible.

It's definitely going to have a price drop.  They put price drops on the Wii, all models of the DS and even a massive price drop on the 3DS when it wasn't selling that well.  I'm probably going to buy the Wii U when it's gone through the price drop.

I'm in the same boat as you. As soon as a couple games release for it I'm likely to buy a Wii U so I would love to see a price drop soon!

I'd say it definitely will. It'll be the same as the Wii where the price dropped significantly in a little amount of time. I guess at the moment Nintendo are just covering their costs so they need to charge more, but with the arrival of the PS4 and Xbox One they will need to drop their price if they want to claim any market share.

I can almost guarantee there will be a price drop when the next generation consoles come out. I will probably pick one up when the price goes down as well as all the recent games announced have got me really excited to have one. Hopefully I can fit it into my budget to get a Wii U and also a PS4 and the games that I want. Just trying to save the most I can until then.

turdl3 said:
It's definitely going to have a price drop.  They put price drops on the Wii, all models of the DS and even a massive price drop on the 3DS when it wasn't selling that well.  I'm probably going to buy the Wii U when it's gone through the price drop.
This is true. A lot of the Nintendo products have had price drops, since they are not doing that well. I think I will definitely buy a Wii U when there is a price drop. Right now, I don't really think that it's worth it to buy it. There are not very much third party games at all. All of the major titles are Nintendo, not other developers.

Last I heard, someone from Nintendo said that the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 makes the Wii U look cheap, so no price cut.

For the record the Wii actually sold very, very well. With the E3 announcements regarding the Xbox One the WiiU is likely to do even better than expected. It helps that the PS4 isn't looking much different in price over all. That said even if there is a price cut for the holidays - nothing says that it's either permanent or likely to be very significant.

Most likely, the Wii U price will drop during Black Friday, and the Winter holiday season.

At the moment, I would assume that they would not need to have a price drop as the new consoles (PS4 and XboxOne) are not being released for a short while and when they are, Wii U will still have the pricing advantage by far. There still is a chance though that Nintendo will play it smart and have a price drop for the Wii U around the other consoles release date giving consumers a greater incentive to buy the Wii U. As far as accessories go, I would wait for now as accessories prices tend to drop well before the consoles due. Plus alot of individual stores will have sales on accessories more than they will have sales on the consoles. If you are not that interested in the Wii U at the current price then I would suggest waiting as you technically have nothing to lose by just waiting for a sale.

Yeah, it's cheaper than both competitors, so I don't see it getting a price cut unless we mean exclusively for the Christmas sales.

I'm pretty sure the price will drop, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I was actually surprised at how expensive the Wii U was. Nintendo has always been the cheaper game system to buy, and even though its still cheaper, its more expensive then what we are used to. 

simplgammer said:
I'm pretty sure the price will drop, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I was actually surprised at how expensive the Wii U was. Nintendo has always been the cheaper game system to buy, and even though its still cheaper, its more expensive then what we are used to. 
Yeah. The 3DS had a bad manufacturing deal, I think; that, in conjunction with the problem on the Wii U in the next sentence, is why Nintendo loses money on each 3DS console. Due to the fact that the Wii U uses enhanced Wii hardware, I'm pretty sure Nintendo neglected to make its hardware smaller, which raises prices drastically. Of course, it's still so small...but if they made its parts smaller, it would allow a price cut. However, at this rate, it looks like they'll lose money on each console and have to make it up with game sales if a price cut is instituted...additionally, they likely don't have hardware profits.

If Nintendo is smart they would have a Nintendo direct outline a bunch of great games then when November 2013 gets here have a $100 price cut. That would be a huge middle finger to Sony and MS.

I think I could only really see a $50 price cut at most. Did you see how much Nintendo's stock dropped, when they dropped the 3DS price to have a loss on the console itself to make up for it with games?

Back