Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
F6zJi4a.jpg

In the past we have heard stories of phones catching on fire while in the pocket of the user, and now according to the latest story, it seems that a man in the UK has had his Sony Xperia T3 explode while in his hands.

According to the man, Grant Eger of Newport, South Wales, “I was just scrolling through my phone and as I was scrolling and texting back my girlfriend, I heard a little tick noise like something was going on in the phone. When I first started hearing them I didn’t know what they were. I just thought, “what the hell is it?” The next thing I knew was a spark shot out the side. They were big so my instant reaction was to throw it. I threw the phone to the side of my bed. It just sparked even more and went up in flames.”

Read More

Scary that a smartphone can suddenly explode, start a fire, electrocute, and injure the user, or even blow off their hand if the explosion is large enough.

As I've learned on another forum, all batteries in a cell phone are small walking bombs. Yes, we are carrying and using very explosive devices should they over heat or not work like they should.

I think regular non-smartphone cell phones are less likely to explode, or catch on fire because there are not as many news reports about regular cell phones catching on fire, or exploding.

I wonder how this guy called for help if he called the local fire department, or ambulance since his smartphone exploded making it unusable.

I think this accident proves that regular wired home phones are still very important because smartphones and other types of cell phones are less reliable because they are more likely to explode, catch on fire, or randomly break like when you are sending a text message to someone.

Back