March Contest Results

fantanoice said:
My 147 posts didn't even get a passing mention in the OP. :'( Hoooooh well.

Congrats Mori. I'm not going to criticise how you played because Demon considers all your posts to be legitimate then I'll take his word.

I will, however, agree with HCF that this was a terrible contest. It wasn't even the pointless posts that got to me but it was the fact that I actually saw the ugly side of various members this month, people who say they're main motivation was this contest. I can't help but wonder if they'd bothered to step back and think about what they were writing then things may have gone differently.

I guess we can all take this as a learning experience.

But Demon, seriously, don't ever do this again. It was simply not worth it. We could have collectively reached 100,000 posts through proper posting and not rushed there with questionable, worrisome messages.

Just my two cents.

I think we all agree on this. And even if I won, its not something I'd ever want to do again.
And I'm not sure of what you mean by ugly side. The whole point of this contest was to reach the 100,000 posts. Yes there were other, better, ways to do this, but that doesn't mean we won't be using any of those. It was just for 3 weeks.
Also all the spam was moved by DS, so there will be no lasting effect.
Another thing is that most the "spam" were actually conversations. Conversations that, while having gone off-topic at some point, were still on the same subject. I personally found them pretty entertaining. And seriously I doubt there is a forum out there where topics never stray.

And yes, this contest shouldn't be repeated again. But this contest had a goal, and once the goal was reached the competition also stopped.
One other thing I'd like to share is that while my main motivation was the contest, it wasn't the prize. I invested like 20 hours in a contest where the first prize had a value of $60. If you keep in mind that I don't usually work for less than $20 per hour, I could have easily made much more by doing something else like writing articles and earned much more.

alright alright alright, I get it. bad idea. Never again.

It presented an opportunity to get to know some members of the forum much better, for me anyway since I
Demon_Skeith said:
No harm no foul :grin:

For what it's worth, one thing I enjoyed was the fact that I got to know a few people here much better thanks to the contest. It wasn't all pure gibberish. But it was a one time thing (unless it's happened before I joined) and I reiterate, no harm no foul.

Demon_Skeith said:
It went well the first time. lol And even I have to agree. Mori's last minute "posts" were actually pretty infuriating.

Mori, if your motive wasn't winning, why go to 3 month old topics and post in them?

GracefulAssassin said:
It went well the first time. lol And even I have to agree. Mori's last minute "posts" were actually pretty infuriating.

Mori, if your motive wasn't winning, why go to 3 month old topics and post in them?
To get the 100k posts :p
If my motive was winning money I wouldn't have proposed to end the competition and split the prize with you when I was sure I was going to win.

Back