Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
http://youtu.be/NA6CAgv6p6g

Nintendo has revealed their next game in the mario kart series, Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U. It has updated graphics, hover karts and the ability to travel anywhere on the course. 

Eh.  The last Mario Kart game that I played religiously was Mario Kart 64.  I really don't like the idea of making the game harder than it already is (Mario Kart for Wii, anybody?).  When I pick up the Wii U, I don't think I'll be including Mario Kart in my purchase. 

I was looking at the screenshots from this on Reddit, and now I watched the trailer here. I am really enticed by this, it looks SO FUN. Mario Karts have always been a blast, and this looks to be no exception. I've got to say, it's so refreshing to see Nintendo graphics in HD, I get so used to seeing mostly Call of Duty type army dudes looking super realistic in HD video games, but it's so fun to see a really well rendered, smooth, Mario and friends all racing around. That Wii U is starting to look enticing to me... the controller, not so much, but otherwise yes!

I'm still undecided. I have Mario Kart on the Wii, but it just fails to capture the magic and intensity that the same titles had on the N64 and on the SNES. I can't really put my finger on why I feel this way, but it just seems like something is missing or maybe there's just too much going on. 

I'll admit this title looks good, but I don't know if it's enough to make me purchase it. I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully they'll reveal some additional details that might sway my opinion. 

Nintendo is about to release its eighth game in the Mario Kart series. The first seven are unlike each other, and I expect this one to do just the same. I know that Mario Kart 8's new features will not cease to amaze me, just as all the previous versions have. I look forward to the new, mind-blowing things it will bring, especially the hovering. I just can't seem to understand how a race will be a race if the character is allowed to travel to anywhere on the course. 

Watched a video of some people playing this at 60 FPS and I was completely blown away. As a lifelong Mario Karter, I can't freaking wait. 

Also, I'm sure the multiplayer is fantastic, at least better than Mario Kart Wii. I feel like that title had some balancing issues. You'd get nailed with blue shells every 15 seconds and it just became a chore to play after a while. I think the series has peaked with Mario Kart 7 on 3DS, but this will almost certainly top it. 

That video looks like a loooot of fun. Does anyone know if this game will have mandatory wiimote gimmicks? I just want to be able to play these awesome Nintendo games without having to shake a controller around. But seriously, there are so many good looking Nintendo games out there that owning a WiiU and a gaming PC might actually be the best combination available. So many choices.

Hooooly *BEEP* this looks amazing. I absolutely love Mario Kart it's one game I can play all day and not get bored. The trailer looked a little like Crash Team Racing on the PS1 tho, hopefully it doesn't turn into that kind of game it's perfect as it is.

BigMcLargeHuge said:
That video looks like a loooot of fun. Does anyone know if this game will have mandatory wiimote gimmicks? I just want to be able to play these awesome Nintendo games without having to shake a controller around. But seriously, there are so many good looking Nintendo games out there that owning a WiiU and a gaming PC might actually be the best combination available. So many choices.
I'm assuming we'll have gamepad functionality/off TV play as well as Pro Controller support. It's a first party game and I'm sure Nintendo would want to use every controller in their arsenal so as to allow more people to play at once.

Awesome!

I'm not looking forward to blue shells though

GamerPerfection said:
Do they still do games like this for the Wii or do they only develop games for the Wii U now?
They've focused on Wii U.  Third parties still make some Wii games, but Nintendo have now focused on Wii U and 3DS.

I don't have a Wii U and now I'm sad haha. The memories I have of Mario Kart... wow, I'm sure a lot of Nintendo fans would agree that growing up with Mario Kart was such a great memory. I'd be willing to buy a Wii U just to play this for the nostalgia. Looking forward to reading the reviews once it's released.

I've been playing a decent amount of Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed lately and it slightly reminds me of that. Still, the hover carts should be an interesting feature. Mario Kart games are always fun to some extent. The ability to travel anywhere on the course could be really nice.

Wow, that looks awesome. I love Mario Kart, playing with friends is so much fun. Hover karts?? That is a great idea! Nintendo really has some great games lined up for the future. I have a feeling those Wii U's will be flying off the shelf pretty soon.

Back