MK7 TOURNAMENT !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have ALL had a week to arrange a time and day with your racers.

How hard can it be ?????

I left it in your hands to arrange your own time with your own opponents, do you want me to take you pee pee aswell !!!!!!

If I had said ok the 3 of you are racing at 2pm on Thursday I guarantee you that one or two of you would have said "sorry I cant race on Thursday" !!!!!! AND SO ON !!!!!

If there are other racers in our community then you could have used your brains and created your own community just for your race and only given your opponents the code !!!!!

I organised this Tournament because its what you all wanted and nobody else wanted to organise it, even though im not even racing in the tournament I took the time to set it up.

Well due to the rude attitude of a few cretins here you have got what you wanted.

TOURNAMENT CANCELLED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, don't overreact. It's way harder than you think to organise a tournament between people in different time zones (especially when some people become inactive at said time as well).

Just chill. It's not the end of the world that the tournament hasn't started yet, and heck, we've got all the time in the world here.

Setting up a bracket for the standard "2 players per match" thing is easy, because there's some cheap (OK, free) websites that allow you to do that kind of thing.... but not for 3 players per match..... well there wasn't when I last checked.

You can get brackets with 3 players in total, but it has to be 2 players per match:
3-Team-Single-Elimination.gif

But that's not what we want.... the only thing we can do is for me to do something like this (note that this was created in PowerPoint 2010):
MK7bracket1.png

This is assuming that the 6 winners of the 18 games play in 2 groups of 3
Then the 2 winners of the 6 games play each other.

Alternatively, instead of it going like:
6 x 3 = 18
2 x 3 = 6
1 x 2 = 2

It could go like this:
6 x 3 = 18
3 x 2 (3 games with 2 players each) = 6
1 x 3 (the final is 3 players instead of 2) = 3

The easiest way to do brackets would be to have only 2 players per match.
If we still had the same 18 players, the bracket would generally look like this:
18-Team-Single-Elimination.gif

This would be single-elimination... the numbers in brackets are basically the order in which the games are played, i.e. (1 = "Game 1" (each game being a set of 4 races).

The equivalent double-elimination 18-player bracket would be like this:

18-Team-Double-Elimination.gif

Of course, why not go over the top, and have 128 players?
128-Team-Single-Elimination.gif

128-Team-Single-Bracket.gif

I'm not sure what's going on...

It doesn't help when people (Johnwaluigi) don't even get online until nearly midnight (and that's his local time)... and then there are people who don't even bother showing up at all and there's sometimes no way of contacting them.

I have no idea what's going on with Sky. Is he not participating?

I'm not sure what's going on...

It doesn't help when people (Johnwaluigi) don't even get online until nearly midnight (and that's his local time)... and then there are people who don't even bother showing up at all and there's sometimes no way of contacting them.

I have no idea what's going on with Sky. Is he not participating?
Sadly, he's banned until Jan. 19.

He might be able to play after that then, if he wants to.

Here's a copy of the original post (as of sometime in the evening of January 14, 2012):

11736510detailgoldenmus.jpg
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hey guys[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This is the thread that will be used for the duration of the Mario Kart 7 Tournament.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This first post will be edited throughout the tournament to show the current standings and race results.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The MK7 Tournament is a fun tournament with the winner being able to say that they are better than everybody else here, there will be a Gold, Silver & Bronze winner.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Each race will consist of 3 racers, the class will be 150cc Grand Prix and each racer will choose RANDOM for each track.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]After your race please reply in this thread with your results, the loser will be out of the tournament with 1st & 2nd going onto the next round.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I would ask that everybody who wants to join the MK7 Tournament reply to this with their Nintendo name and Friend code.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]When you find out who you are racing please add friend codes and discuss in this thread what day and time you are able to race.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]On race day you can chat directly in real time by using the Shoutbox on this website.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Once I have a full list of everybody who wants to participate I will then draw names for who is racing who first.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Races can be raced in our MK7 community, on your 3DS go to MK7 Online Multiplayer, then Communities, then Enter Code and enter 59214714264408 and join.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Good luck and mostly have fun.[/font]

CONTESTANTS[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] ......[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SKY : 3737-9650-0553[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]JohnWaluigi :[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FILLFALL : 3437-3215-9626[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]LEONCE : 1719-3583-6607[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]M K MASTER :[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]NIN3DS : 4983-5165-4189[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]T U KOOPA: 5155-2908-3928[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Gagagoogle: 2921-9167-6685[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]P E Gadd: 2750-1149-2337[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mario Sam: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3695-0438-4384[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]RyShark:[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Gelivable: 2363-5782-8782[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Dev: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]0774-4680-2766[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fallen: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3351-4270-2898 [/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Manbearpig: 1676-3739-8499[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ShyGuy: 0173-1464-7608[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]DuckDude: 3007-8076-9069[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Kirby: 4897-6296-1900[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HERE IS THE DRAW VIDEO >>>>>> [/font][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQmzEwCGdEQ[/media]
HEAT 1 RACERS[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] ....[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TU KOOPA....[/font]Vs[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]....JOHN WALUIGI....[/font]Vs[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]....DEV[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]DUCK DUDE....[/font]Vs.[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...SHY GUY....[/font]Vs[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]....P E GADD[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MARIO SAM....[/font]Vs[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]....KIRBY....[/font]Vs[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]....GA GA GOOGLE[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SKY....[/font]Vs[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]....GELIVABLE....[/font]Vs[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]....MK MASTER[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FILLFALL....[/font]Vs[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]....FALLEN....[/font]Vs[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]....MANBEARPIG[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]RY SHARK....[/font]Vs[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]....LEONCE....[/font]Vs[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]....NIN3DS[/font]

HEAT 1 RACE RESULTS[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] .....[/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]GELIVABLE and MK MASTER to Heat 2... Sky unable to participate[/font]

OUT OF THE TOURNAMENT[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] ......[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SKY [/font]
sad.gif

Also, the tournament bracket is actually going to be a bit complicated.
For the first round, there are 3 players per race. The loser (3rd) is eliminated, and the 1st and 2nd go to the second round.
But the question is how many players are there per race in Round 2? And Round 3, or how ever many rounds we have? Will it always be 3 per race at maximum (unless there aren't that many racers)?

Infact it's going to be almost impossible to do a bracket with that kind of thing...

The closest thing would be a double-elimination tournament... except it would be combined with a single-elimination tournament.
For those who are now confused, basically it's like this:
The 1st player is treated as the "winner".
The 2nd player is sent to the "loser's bracket"
The 3rd player is eliminated

In short, all players have 2 lives (eliminations). If you are 1st, you don't lose a life. If you are 2nd you lose a life, but still have one more chance left. If you are 3rd, you're out completely. That's pretty much the best way to do it.

Now, the thing is, again, while we know it's 3 players per race for the 1st round, but what about the 2nd round?

Not only that but why the hell is it so easy to find "2 players per match" brackets, but the only way to even see a 3 or 4 player per match bracket is on Super Smash Bros Melee or Super Smash Bros Brawl's Tournament Mode?

This is what a bracket with up to 4-players per match looks like:
tourney9.jpg

Also, LOWI? A 'heat' is a 'preliminary race'. Are you sure you don't mean 'round'? As in "Round 1" and "Round 2", i.e. the 1st and 2nd players go to "Round 2"? It makes more sense.​

I can tell you that if we had a simple 2 players per match, then I could literally create a single OR double elimination bracket (well, have it created, I should say), and you could also have a live bracket image that automatically updates as winners progress and losers either go out, or go to the loser's bracket depending on whether it's single or double elimination and if they've had 1 or 2 losses.

Double-elimination is apparently more popular, but that's your choice.

Otherwise, I could try making a bracket that reflects what I mentioned earlier, where we have it so that 2nd players go over to a kind of "2nd bracket", and 3rd players are eliminated. And then 2nd players are eliminated from the 2nd bracket. 1st players from either brackets advance to the next stage in said bracket.

Alternatively, and probably more simply, we could have it so that after we have so many matches (4 races) with 3 players, the top 2 players would then play each other again... after this, it'd be like a standard tournament. We could also have this as a double elimination. The first part, with 3 players, could simply be some kind of qualifying round, where the top 2 players of each team actually enter the main tournament, if this makes sense.

I'll try and post a rough scan of a rough drawing when I roughly do it....

wow i completely forgot about this lol...ok, the times best suitable for me are the weekends only 10am-11pm est time should work, sorry for the delay
sad.gif
. I will also pm those whom i am suppose to race my time schedule.

Now that being said, when times are organized for the race, a simple pm like a day before should do that trick to let me know, because even though i dont log on everyday, i will get an email for a pm and i will check it so yeah, very sorry for the delay.

For the purposes of a bracket.... 2 players per race is pretty much the best option.
Also, as I said, double-elimination is more popular than single-elimination, because it means if you have two chances. IF you lose a race, you still have one more chance, but if you lose two races, you're out.

Should we re-start the 'registration' process, or just have the same people who were already 'signed up'? Or even allow more people to sign up?

Here's an example of what the bracket would look like --WARNING - LARGE IMAGE:
n3dscmk7tournament.png

I'm able to remove or add new participants before the tournament starts, however, once it's started, I'm only able to remove participants, but not add any... unless all scores are reset.
I deliberately made up ridiculous scores to show what the bracket would look like if Nin3DS won the tournament
biggrin.gif

just realized this one was cancelled..oo well doesnt look like it was working out to well anyhow...

now the thing with tuk's idea it might work, but thing that sucks about 1v1, once someone is in first with a decent lead, there is little chance of a comeback..

That's why double elimination is best. If you come 2nd once, you still have another chance (and you're almost guaranteed to NEVER play against the same person again) unless you happen to reach the end of the winners bracket, the other person reaches the end of the losers bracket, and then the winners of both brackets play against each other in the final. Notice how in the example there are two games in which Nin3DS is against Dev?

I have an idea: What if we do what TUK was saying but with FOUR people per race, and 1st and 2nd continue to the winners bracket and 3rd and 4th go to the loser's bracket. But in this case, if two people were to keep getting 1st and 2nd places, then they would keep racing each other over and over again until one of them got 3rd or 4th.

Or, similar to what you suggested, we treat it like a normal tournament, with the normal bracket, except that where there'd be ONE player, there'd be TWO.

Usually you'd have a Winners and Losers bracket. However, in this case, the Winners would be any one who's become 1st OR 2nd in that bracket. The Losers would be anyone who's become 3rd OR 4thin the Winners bracket, and anyone who's come 1st and 2nd in the Losers bracket itself.

Basically, imagine something like that example bracket, but as I said, where you'd see something like "TheUltimateKoopa" or "TUK", you'd see "TheUltimateKoopa & Dev" or "Nin3DS & Manbearpig"

Essentially, it's a standard tournament. The brackets are treated as in you are playing in 2 teams of 2 (rather than all 4 against each other).
The 1st and 2nd placers are treated as "winners", and the 3rd and 4th are treated as "losers".

Again, for the 5th time maybe... single or double-elimination? As I've said before, single-elimination means that if you come 3rd OR 4th, you are eliminated. With double-elimination, you could have it so that 1st and 2nd advance to the next round in the winners bracket, however, only 3rd placers go to the "losers" bracket, and 4th placers are eliminated.

I was trying to figure out how it would work if we had a kind of thing where 1st and 2nd placers advance, 3rd placers go down to the next bracket, and 4th placers go to a 3rd bracket.
And then if someone in the 2nd bracket then came 3rd again, they'd join someone from the 3rd bracket....

If anyone's interested in what a triple-elimination 16 team bracket looks like:
triple-elimination-16-teams.gif

triple-elimination-16-loser.gif

For the case of simplicity, if we choose 2 players per race (as is the standard for tournaments as far as I know), then, these are the options, based on the brackets that I'm able to get, easily:
Single-elimination, from 2 players upwards
Double-elimination, from 2 players upwards
Triple-elimination, from 2 players up to 16 players, then either 18 or 20 players (i.e. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20)
Quadruple-elimination from 3 players up to 10 players

However: If you want to see a bracket in the form of an image, like that one I made as an example, then it can only be single or double-elimination... however, the advantages are that:
When I update the bracket, it will also update the image as well, so if you wanted to put it in the first post, or something, you know.
There can be any number of players from 2 players up to a maximum of 256

here one issue wit having more and more players per race..harder to get a scheduled time for the race, especially with people in different time zones. Now, it can be worth a shot, and i would suggest when registering for the race have them also post their time zone aswell as their available time schedule so the races can be set up more nicely and with more ease rather than picking their own times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back