froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Four years ago, we first heard about how Korean scientist had proposed using sound to charge mobile phones. They explained that it could be done via a piezoelectric effect, in which zinc oxide nanowires converted sound-caused vibrations into electricity. At the time, the researchers couldn't generate enough of a current to actually charge a phone. Now, however, scientists from Nokia and Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) have succeeded in doing so.

Read More

Charging a phone with sound would be useful for people who are noisy like some college students who throw a lot of parties at their Frat house, or dorms.

I don't think this could be good, specially for people and animals sensitive to certain sounds.

Further down in the article, it said that everyday background sounds will work.

The prototype energy-harvesting device is about the size of a Nokia Lumina 925, and is reportedly capable of generating up to five volts using "everyday background noise" such as traffic, music and voices. Five volts is enough to charge a mobile phone, and is significantly higher than the 50 millivolts managed in the previous effort.
But, I can see some people abusing this technology, and start to scream loudly, or tell someone to turn up the radio or TV volume to charge their phone faster.

I would love such a phone to be honest.
I could never get tired of it...and I don't have to bother about charging it all the time.
Wow...I don't have to carry my powerbank either!

I don't think this could be good, specially for people and animals sensitive to certain sounds.

I think most sounds would work at charging a battery because all sounds create vibrations in the air which animals and humans can hear when the sound vibration vibrate their ear drums in their ear.

If this sound charging device is very sensitive, the sound of the earth and nature like the wind, ocean, and animals may make enough sound to charge a battery. This sound charging technology could be useful for people who go to school with a lot of loud students, work at places like retail stores and restaurants where some of the costumers and workers talk very loudly because they have bad hearing, mental problems, or they yell a lot when they are mad.

I think it will only be good for people who always at noisy places, but most people will stay away from those places.

A lot of people still listen to audio and music from their computer and stereo with audio speakers, so most people already have a sound source to charge their mobile phone speakers.

If you live in an apartment or don't live alone there will usually be some sounds from people talking, pets, musical instruments like piano and guitars which people play at home, and electronic devices like TV, PC, and stereos.

The earth has sounds from waterfalls, rivers, ocean, wind, and nature, so the sound from the earth and nature maybe enough to charge a battery.

Back