froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Known as DDR5, the next generation of RAM promises twice the speed of the current-gen DDR4 memory. This was revealed this week by JEDEC, the organization responsible for setting the standards of computer memory. DDR5 will “double the bandwidth and density over DDR4,” JEDEC says, adding that it plans to finalize the new standard sometime in 2018.

Read More

DDR5 being double as fast as DDR4 is a nice upgrade. I think users who use onboard video which rely on their PC's RAM will benefit most from DDR5, and PC gamers who buy dedicated video cards with DDR5 will also have faster game performance.

Impressive, but how much?

Impressive, but how much?

A price was not mention on the full article. I think it is not on sale yet. But, I bet, it would be expensive like most new tech.

Isn't there such a thing with graphic cards having DDR5 ram on then?

Yes, there are DDR5 video cards, and possibly other devices with DDR5 RAM. But, the article was mainly talking about RAM modules for desktop, and laptop PCs. DDR5 RAM may now come down in price where it is now more affordable to install 8GB of more DDR5 RAM on computers which cost $500 dollars or less to build or buy.

A price was not mention on the full article. I think it is not on sale yet. But, I bet, it would be expensive like most new tech.

Yes, there are DDR5 video cards, and possibly other devices with DDR5 RAM. But, the article was mainly talking about RAM modules for desktop, and laptop PCs. DDR5 RAM may now come down in price where it is now more affordable to install 8GB of more DDR5 RAM on computers which cost $500 dollars or less to build or buy.

but can any current PCs use DDR5?

but can any current PCs use DDR5?

The DDR5 standard won't be release until 2018 according to the Full article.

I don't think there are any current PC motherboards and CPUs which support DDR5. But, there are most likely a few experimental motherboards and CPUs which support DDR5, and are mainly use for testing DDR5 before DDR5 is released.

DDR5 will be finalized in 2018, so there is a chance 2018 tech will support it if tech makers can buy DDR5 RAM to install on their desktop and laptops, and RAM sticks.

That be cutting it close, maybe a few of the very high end machines might support it but those will cost an arm and a leg.

That be cutting it close, maybe a few of the very high end machines might support it but those will cost an arm and a leg.

Gaming PCs, Workstations use for 3D and video editing, and Web hosting Servers built in 2018 may use DDR5 if DDR5 gets release on time.

There maybe some Cheaper less reliable brands which use slower speed DDR5 to convince people to buy their computers. Most likely, there would be less expensive, less capacity like 1 or 2GB, slower speed, and less reliable DDR5 designed for cheaper lowend computers which cost under $500 like how DDR3 and DDR2 had slower speed RAM for cheaper computers.

Some cheaper computers are built by cheaper low wage workers who are usually low-skilled workers who didn't graduate high school, or did not go to college for technical training. A lot of low paid workers are also unhappy with their working conditions, so they maybe less careful when assembling computers. A lot of cheaper devices also use cheaper screens, plastics, wires, motherboards, batteries and chargers which most people don't look up the all specs for things like a circuit board, or power supply, and they mostly care about RAM, CPU, storage, and USB ports.

Sweet, ready for some advances to finally hit the market!

I think it may take awhile before most people notice the speed increases since most software already open and run pretty fast on computers with 8GB DDR3 RAM as long as the PC has a fast CPU, faster storage drive like SSD, Hybrid drive, or 10,000 RPM hard drive.

I think DDR5 will be good for PCs who use onboard/integrated graphics chips which are built-into the CPU, and use the PC's system RAM as the graphics RAM because DDR5 is faster than older RAM like DDR3-4. But, PCs which use a graphics card with its own dedicated RAM may see a smaller increase in speed in real world performance.

Seems Xbox Scorpio is using this :eek:

This is good for people who planning to get a Xbox Scorpio, but I wonder if the Scorpio will cost a lot of money because of the higher cost of DDR5. If the Scorpio cost a lot of money, it can be a better deal to get a $600-800 Windows 10 Gaming PC which can already play many Xbox and PC games which got released for PC and Steam.

Back