E3 Nintendo got it right

jviloriab96

Credits
Something was made clear during the Nintendo E3 Press Conference: they still got it. After the Wii U fiasco, many were left wondering whether or not Nintendo could still be relevant in today’s gaming scene. Yesterday they proved everyone that not only they deserve to be a part of the industry, but also they’re not afraid to make bold decisions and try to take the lead away from Sony and Microsoft. With the announcement of games such as Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Metroid Prime 4 and a new Pokémon game coming to the Switch, it looks like it’s going to be an excellent season for Nintendo’s fanbase.

I would have to agree. I think Nintendo did amazing yesterday. They gave the fanbase what they wanted and more. A new Kirby game in development, teased that Metroid Prime 4 was in the works along with the remake of Metroid II on the 3DS. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looked good from the gameplay that they showed on Treehouse Live. I'm not so sure if I like the artstyle but apparently Tetsuya Nomura worked on it. Maybe it'll grow on me the more I look at it. Super Mario Odyssey was the knockout punch for me. I was so happy when I saw the gameplay. It makes me want to play Sunshine again. It just looks so freaking awesome. I can be a TRex and a freaking Banzai Bill! The new main Pokemon game for the Switch in development for the Switch was a nice confirmation. They said it's going to be a main RPG so I'm hoping that it's not like Colosseum or XD. Those were fun but they weren't a main game. I think it's going to be a great year for Nintendo fans.

I wasn't unhappy with my Wii U, however, I look forward to what Nintendo will come up with over the course of the next year. Especially with the new Switch.

I agree that they did a great job, simply from the impact that it had on me. Ubisoft won me over as a publisher, but neither Microsoft nor Sony convinced me to buy an Xbox One or PlayStation 4. However, with Nintendo's line-up of video games and overall charisma, I think that for the first time in 11 years I'm going to get a console.

As soon as I find a gosh darn game shop in my country that's actually selling a Switch.

I wasn't unhappy with my Wii U, however, I look forward to what Nintendo will come up with over the course of the next year. Especially with the new Switch.
I wasn't either. I still don't see what people had against the Wii U. It's probably my 3rd or 4th favorite console.

Anyway, I was excited for almost everything Nintendo showed. With the exception of Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Xenoblade 2, and Metroid Prime 4 (though I'm happy for Metroid fans), but everything else was solid. I would've like more info on Pokemon Switch, like a name at least and maybe a little gameplay of Fire Emblem Warriors, and went a little deeper in the Champion's Ballad DLC for BotW, but the Mario Odyssey trailer made up for all of it. No one else showed anything that remotely caught my attention besides Life is Strange 2, which I don't plan on playing myself, but watching. And Bethesda(?) talked about Skyrim for the Switch which I'm only playing because I lost a coin flip.

What I like about Nintendo is they always make me happy and take me back to when I was a kid. So many games are overly serious now. Maybe it's not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes I just want something fun and Nintendo knows how to do this. They're old school in the best of ways.

Let me play devil's advocate:

Nintendo got it wrong.

Reggie wasted precious time blabbering about nothing of value. That was a nice reveal for the Zelda DLC pack 2 where they showed us nothing (except for more Amiibo, surprise surprise). How many Yoshi and Kirby games have they churned out since the last real Animal Crossing, F Zero, and Metroid games? Speaking of Metroid, what a terrible way to introduce Prime 4. No subtitle, no gameplay, no trailer, not even a screenshot. They just started thinking about this game. Game Freak put the bare minimum into their Pokemon Switch announcement. "Oh hey I'm just sitting here at my desk. We didn't realize how pissed people were gonna get that our highly anticipated Pokemon Direct was about a port of Pokken. I'm here to reassure you that we are working on a game that probably won't be out within a year. Please understand." Btw, here's a poorly put together trailer of Xenoblade 2 with awkward dialogue throw in. Not to be outdone, here's a trailer for Fire Emblem Warriors with all the characters you'd expect and no gameplay. The only day of sunshine to be found in this thing is a Rocket League port and more gameplay for Odyssey. Where's the VC? Where's Smash? Where's Retro Studios? Where's From Software? Where's any substantial third party support that is not using Nintendo properties? Nah none of that matters, tell me more about Skyrim (we need 3 shows to cover it, right?) and waste precious time giving me all the juicy deets about the tournaments you're having at E3 that we can't participate in.

Well, I loved almost every single Wii U game that I got to play at a friend’s house. I don’t think I could ever say that I hated the Wii U, but every time a new game came out we were soooo mad about it not coming to the Wii U. Since all the consoles I owned were sales hits (SNES, PSone, PS2 and X360), I’ve never felt that way before and let me tell you, it is EXTREMELY frustrating. Super Smash Bros and Zelda: Breath of the Wild are amazing, though.

I wasn't either. I still don't see what people had against the Wii U. It's probably my 3rd or 4th favorite console.

Anyway, I was excited for almost everything Nintendo showed. With the exception of Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Xenoblade 2, and Metroid Prime 4 (though I'm happy for Metroid fans), but everything else was solid. I would've like more info on Pokemon Switch, like a name at least and maybe a little gameplay of Fire Emblem Warriors, and went a little deeper in the Champion's Ballad DLC for BotW, but the Mario Odyssey trailer made up for all of it. No one else showed anything that remotely caught my attention besides Life is Strange 2, which I don't plan on playing myself, but watching. And Bethesda(?) talked about Skyrim for the Switch which I'm only playing because I lost a coin flip.

The Wii U was a great piece of hardware, its name sucked and lacked software.

Let me play devil's advocate:

Nintendo got it wrong.

Reggie wasted precious time blabbering about nothing of value. That was a nice reveal for the Zelda DLC pack 2 where they showed us nothing (except for more Amiibo, surprise surprise). How many Yoshi and Kirby games have they churned out since the last real Animal Crossing, F Zero, and Metroid games? Speaking of Metroid, what a terrible way to introduce Prime 4. No subtitle, no gameplay, no trailer, not even a screenshot. They just started thinking about this game. Game Freak put the bare minimum into their Pokemon Switch announcement. "Oh hey I'm just sitting here at my desk. We didn't realize how pissed people were gonna get that our highly anticipated Pokemon Direct was about a port of Pokken. I'm here to reassure you that we are working on a game that probably won't be out within a year. Please understand." Btw, here's a poorly put together trailer of Xenoblade 2 with awkward dialogue throw in. Not to be outdone, here's a trailer for Fire Emblem Warriors with all the characters you'd expect and no gameplay. The only day of sunshine to be found in this thing is a Rocket League port and more gameplay for Odyssey. Where's the VC? Where's Smash? Where's Retro Studios? Where's From Software? Where's any substantial third party support that is not using Nintendo properties? Nah none of that matters, tell me more about Skyrim (we need 3 shows to cover it, right?) and waste precious time giving me all the juicy deets about the tournaments you're having at E3 that we can't participate in.
I mean, I liked how they didn’t make a huge deal about the games that were too far ahead to care about. And I think you’re focusing a bit too much in the way they made the announcements instead of concentrating in what was being announced. But I do see where you come from. They got it wrong because those announcements were nowhere near shocking because they leaked so much info prior to E3 that when the press conference started, there were few new things to be announced. We needed more details and they did not deliver.

Bravo, Nintendo! The announcements were not shocking, again because of the leaks, but we we were expecting that they do something to compete. I was actually a wii u fan when it came out but the buzz quickly faded. Switch and it's games are giving Nintendo a fighting chance to compete with some of those other companies. Sony has the game on lock. There is no one out there who can compete with Playstation. Its the standard. Nintendo is the original OG so I do applaud the company for looking for ways to remain relevant and viable.

I was up to date with the leaks so I knew more or less what to expect, but as the huge Nintendo fan I am, I was still pretty excited about it regardless. Nintendo didn't disappoint me (but then again, they never really do) and I'm honestly looking forward getting the Switch if my finances allow it, because I'm super pumped for Pokemon Tournament Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey.

I'm a bit skeptical about Metroid Prime 4 despite the hype, but still excited about it. We'll see!

I would have to agree. I think Nintendo did amazing yesterday. They gave the fanbase what they wanted and more. A new Kirby game in development, teased that Metroid Prime 4 was in the works along with the remake of Metroid II on the 3DS. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looked good from the gameplay that they showed on Treehouse Live. I'm not so sure if I like the artstyle but apparently Tetsuya Nomura worked on it. Maybe it'll grow on me the more I look at it. Super Mario Odyssey was the knockout punch for me. I was so happy when I saw the gameplay. It makes me want to play Sunshine again. It just looks so freaking awesome. I can be a TRex and a freaking Banzai Bill! The new main Pokemon game for the Switch in development for the Switch was a nice confirmation. They said it's going to be a main RPG so I'm hoping that it's not like Colosseum or XD. Those were fun but they weren't a main game. I think it's going to be a great year for Nintendo fans.

I usually like Tetsuya Nomura's work. I feel the same way. I can be kind of picky about the way art looks but once I get used to the graphics, I'll be fine. I am so looking forward to 2017. One of my New Year's resolution was to get a new Nintendo game. Haha :) I'm so pumped!

They have a distinct market though that I don't think any other console can get - kids and their parents. Wii and other Nintendo items promote family time through games, and not a lot of consoles can say that. Their controls brag that anybody can learn it, and their games operate on simple enough instructions that a 4 year old and a 70 year old can play it without much instruction. I think that says a lot about this brand, and games in the PC, Xbox, and Playstation can't say the same.

Back