Probably time to look at better hosting!

Soulwatcher

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
This website has been pretty busy lately. I just got this error which means too many requests were being sent to the database. If your on shared hosting I would look into Semi Dedicated or a VPS server.

Greg
An error occured with the SQL server:

what was the exact error?

And I'm looking at the Cpanel and all the stats are well under the hosting's limits.

This error usually means to many connections, and some not able to get to the database. On active forums like this it's not uncommon. You connect the host and see about raising the limit, some are only set a 32mb and need to be raised.

Allan said:
This error usually means to many connections, and some not able to get to the database. On active forums like this it's not uncommon. You connect the host and see about raising the limit, some are only set a 32mb and need to be raised.
So this is just a common error, and not a big deal that we need to worry about?

Correct, this doesn't mean the site isn't going to stop working. Just need to contact the host and change the sizes a little. Happens to a lot forums and blogs.

it happens on a lot of forums these days. I don't think its really anything much to be worried about. 

Dez97 said:
it happens on a lot of forums these days. I don't think its really anything much to be worried about. 
I would worry about it because if this website gets any busier your going to get those errors all the time and members are going to get mad when they can't post. The only way I wouldn't worry about it is if you guys got a sudden surge in traffic for a day. If your traffic is steady then its time to upgrade.

Greg

Stained Hero said:
I would worry about it because if this website gets any busier your going to get those errors all the time and members are going to get mad when they can't post. The only way I wouldn't worry about it is if you guys got a sudden surge in traffic for a day. If your traffic is steady then its time to upgrade.

Greg
I've contacted my hosting to get the following answer:

We haven't had any server issuess recently. And we haven't had any alerts to your account for high usage. As this is a small issue that happened a few days ago, I will forward this request to a senior admin for them to investigate on a more detailed level. Manuel will be in very early in the morning and can give you the details of this error.

Yeah IPB are known for eating a lot of CPU. Large IPB communities that I know of are on their own dedicated servers due to issues like this.

Demon_Skeith said:
I'll have to see if Xenforo uses CPU as much.
Why not upgrade to Semi Dedicated hosting? Thats what I use on my website, I get doubble the resources as regular hosting and its only $19.99 a month. Even if you convert to Xenforo if this forum keeps picking up new members your going to hit the CPU limit again.

Greg

Stained Hero said:
Why not upgrade to Semi Dedicated hosting? Thats what I use on my website, I get doubble the resources as regular hosting and its only $19.99 a month. Even if you convert to Xenforo if this forum keeps picking up new members your going to hit the CPU limit again.

Greg
The reason for all things. :$$$: :$$$: :$$$:

Demon_Skeith said:
The reason for all things. :$$$: :$$$: :$$$:
I agree its a liitle expensive but even if you convert to Xenforo your going to have to upgrade your hosting if your traffic keep rising. If you like IPB why not just upgrade the hosting? If you think your traffic is going to slow down then stay where your at and on IPB. But I wouldnit spend $140 on Xenforo just to try and lower my hosting bill. Buy it because you like it and want to use it. :thumbsup:

Greg

Going to  VPS isn't bad idea but there are other factors that play in also. Greg is talking about an un-managed hosting plan, meaning you will not have a control panel of any kind unless you install one and if you don't know ssh commands you will have to learn them just to get the software installed to run a website. As far as using Xenforo  I say stay with IPB, XF is okay but nothing to run out and by a license for it.

XF is something that may or may not happen down the line. All depends on IPB 4 really. But an issue for later.

I'm aware that VPS is both costly and need some skills to use, skills I don't have or care to learn right now with other things I need to focus on. As the forum grows I will ensure the software can keep up along with the hosting, One user reported error during a quiet time won't make me jump to something more pricey.

I was granted early access to IPB 4 and I will say It looks great. I think alot will forget about xenforo.

Back