Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
KrBAvtp.jpg

Purism, proud makers of one of the first truly open laptops, is moving into the world of pro-level tablets. Their latest product, the Librem 11, is a tablet that runs any GNU/Linux version (they recommend the ultra-secure Qubes) and can double as a laptop.

The company made waves with their 15 and 13 laptops and they are bringing the same level of security to the $1,299 tablet. While that’s a bit steep remember that this is custom hardware with security built in including hardware kill switches for WiFi, the camera, GPS, and cellular data.

Hardware Specs:

Intel Core M-5Y10c processor
2.0 GHz
2 Cores (4 Threads)
4.5W
8 to 10 hours battery life
16GB maximum memory
DDR3L 1600MHz
2 Mega pixel front camera
5 Mega pixel rear camera
11.6" 1920x1080p FHD eDP panel
M.2 22*80
802.11n wireless
RF hardware kill switch
Mic/Camera kill switch
2 stereo speakers
1 DC-in port
1 Audio jack
1 USB 3.0 port
1 micro HDMI 1.4a port
1 microSD
1 4G NGFF slot
1 Micro-SIM slot
1 2048 pressure pen stylus
Sensors including accelerometer, e-compass, gyroscope, and ambient light
Trackpad & touchscreen
Fanless design
296mm x 189mm x 11mm (11.65" x 7.44" x .43")
850g (1.87lbs)

Read More

This looks like a good tablet for users who need the best security, and privacy, and are willing to pay a higher price for safety and privacy rather than use a tablet where users are forced to use an OS like Windows, iOS, and Android where your device, apps, and operating system maybe tracked and controlled by Microsoft, Apple, and Google.

But, Purism tablet, users can choose to install operating systems like Tails Linux which is designed to browse the web with the TOR Proxy which does a good job of hiding web browsing tracks compared to not using anything to hide your tracks while browsing the web.

The hardware specs are pretty good. I like that is has a maximum of 16GB of RAM, and a USB 3.0 port.

Love the ram amount, but what exactly do they mean by physical wi-fi?

I think Physical Wi-fi means Physical Wi-Fi switch which is a physical switch on the tablet which cuts power or the wireless signal on the Wi-Fi adapter when the Switched is turned Off, and Turns ON power or the wireless signal to the Wi-Fi adapter when the Wi-fi power or signal switch is turned on. Hackers won't be able to turn on Wi-Fi remotely if the power is switch off.

Some laptops, desktops, and routers have a physical button which turns off power too and from the wifi chip, or turns off the wireless signal when the switch is set to off.

But, physical switches are less common because most switches are controlled by software in Windows, Android, and iOS.

physical buttons are nice, if place right. I worked on a few really old laptops that had them badly placed.

I agree some old laptops have switches and buttons in bad places. But, I think they put the switch in bad places, so fewer users won't accidentally turn off Wi-Fi or the touchpad by sliding or pressing on a switch while they type or do something else on a laptop.

Back