E3 Super Mario Odyssey (October 2017)

benoit489

Assistant Regional Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits

Looks crazy! The new mechanic of taking control of enemies will surely lead to some hilarious shenanigans. Still not feeling the art style.

I am enjoying so much what they have shown so far. Pretty crazy to mix realistic stuff like the people and dinosaurs but the levels like the Mexa sands are the best as the characters show some of that based on real culture while retaining the Mario universe aesthetics. That said, while it calls some uncanny valley I don't feel it that big of a deterrent.

That possession mechanic is pretty cool and the 2D levels parts (reminds me of Zelda ALBW). The animations for the transitions are so smooth and the lighting and texture look so nice.

I am so excited for this game that I swear I'm going to explode. I love when games get weird. Plus, the costumes Mario can wear, and just everything. Plus Pauline is in there, I think. Meaning she's finally a main series Mario character besides Donkey Kong. Also the amiibos look pretty cool. I might get the wedding dress Peach amiibo.

The looks seems a bit glossy, but looks like HD Mario 64 and I'm cool with that. I can see myself getting a Switch just for this.

When the trailer first started I was tricked. I thought it was for Xenoblade Chornicles 2. Then, there was a giant T-Rex on my screen. I assumed it was for a new Monster Hunter. Nope, suddenly Mario.

Overall, I think it was a really well done trailer. I loved Galaxy 1 and 2 but this seems more like Mario 64 and Sunshine. We're free to explore each stage as we so desire and aren't limited to just completing the mission for a certain star. The Cap mechanic with Cappy is a really neat idea. The ability to use objects and enemies for certain skills or actions is pretty freaking sweet. I can't wait to be a giant TRex or a cab. That cab thing was really random in the trailer. It looks really well polished and I like the fact that the Nintendo Treehouse Live showed us actual live gameplay. It wasn't scripted like other gameplay that was shown at the conference. We got to see a person make mistakes and die while they try to show off what you can do in the game. I'm definitely buying a Switch just for this game.

I am so looking forward to this game out of all the games that have been announced for the Switch so far. And it's going to be released in time for the Christmas holiday season. That should help boost sales around the Christmas season when so many people are already out shopping for presents anyway.

I feel like we haven't seen all the craziness in this game yet.
That's the most exciting thing. I love games that go off the walls. Like Saints Row is a GTA like and when I started playing Saints Row IV I thought I was going to find it meh, but when I found out the plot centered around aliens and you get to have super powers, I instantly fell in love. Not all realistic games are boring, but I like weird.

Would it be blasphemy for me to say that I actually wasn't all that impressed? It's not to say that I don't think the game will be enjoyable, because after seeing the trailer I have to say that I think it's going to be both new and innovative yet familiar and fun. But, something about the gameplay they had after the press conference just rubbed me the wrong way. The New Donk City area just feels awfully out of place for me, and what's worse the character models and overall feel remind me of Sonic Adventure.

The rest however, looks promising.

Would it be blasphemy for me to say that I actually wasn't all that impressed? It's not to say that I don't think the game will be enjoyable, because after seeing the trailer I have to say that I think it's going to be both new and innovative yet familiar and fun. But, something about the gameplay they had after the press conference just rubbed me the wrong way. The New Donk City area just feels awfully out of place for me, and what's worse the character models and overall feel remind me of Sonic Adventure.

The rest however, looks promising.
I'm with you man. Donk City just doesn't appeal to me. I'm fine with Mario exploring different worlds, but please stick to a cohesive art style. Some of the textures look a little rough too. I'm still looking forward to it, really enjoy my time with all the 3D Mario games.

Haha, this is awesome. I remember playing Super Mario on PS1 back in the days, this is a much improved version and I will gladly roll back the years if I can get hold of a copy. Playing Mario is amusing and its also form of relaxation.

Haha, this is awesome. I remember playing Super Mario on PS1 back in the days, this is a much improved version and I will gladly roll back the years if I can get hold of a copy. Playing Mario is amusing and its also form of relaxation.
I don't like correcting people, but Mario was never on the PS1.

This looks crazy and weird - and a bit too difficult if you take a look at the game's descripton. I'm not sure if I'm excited. The trailer is funny and everything, but after taking a closer look I don't know what to think. The new abilities and worlds, it's a bit too much for me. Maybe I am the one who have problems, but I'm sure I'd get confused playing it. But we will see.

Back