Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Though in beta right now, you can upgrade the PlayStation 5 storage via its extra SSD slot and to do that is... beyond simple upgrading methods. As outline here:

Depending on how you go about it, the process may be more complicated than it needs to be. However Seagate does have some options like four different Seagate SSDs were mentioned by the hardware manufacturer as PS5 compatible as part of the FireCuda 530 line. They range from 500 GB at their smallest to 4 TB as their largest with the cost being cost $149.99 (500 GB), $254.99 (1TB), $514.99 (2TB), and $999.99 (4TB) respectively.

Update, looks like Western Digital is coming out swinging:

Their WD_Black SN850 series will also be usable at a much cheaper price. Their prices are $139.99 / £140.99 for 500GB, $249.99 / £218.99 for 1TB and $429.99 / £452.99 for 2TB.

Last edited:
Not that complicated but not exactly easy either. Luckily, I've never played enough games at the same time to need a lot of space so don't think I will need extra space.

Thanks for sharing the guide on how to upgrade a PS5 for more storage.

It is kind of disappointing that the PS5 does not also support regular hard drives which are more affordable, and offer more storage space for less money.

Thanks for sharing the guide on how to upgrade a PS5 for more storage.

It is kind of disappointing that the PS5 does not also support regular hard drives which are more affordable, and offer more storage space for less money.
The benefits of a PS5 aren't there if someone uses a regular hard drive. Forcing people to use a SSD is a good thing, to be honest.

The benefits of a PS5 aren't there if someone uses a regular hard drive. Forcing people to use a SSD is a good thing, to be honest.

That is true, SSD will load and run games faster.

There are some PS5 users who may plan on installing many games, and storing a lot of music files, photos, video files like movies on their PS5, so they may prefer a 5TB or larger storage size hard drive which they can buy for $175 instead of spending $999.99 for an M.2 SSD with 4TB of storage.

Games like the new ratchet and clank can't be used wihtout a SSD.

I guest Rachet and Clank requiring SSD would mean some PC gamers with a gaming PC with only a hard drive won't be able to play the new Rachet and Clank if the game ever gets released to PC.

Nope. Of if it does, won't play like it should.

I feel Rachet and Clank may need to use cut scenes movie video files for gamers who use hard drive for their Gaming PC, so the loading screens and times are less noticeable.

Wow… I wonder how many games you can get away with only having 500GB of storage before being required to free up space. Does anyone know?

It's less than 10 for sure. Not many at all if you only download AAA games.
Wow! I will definitely have to take that into consideration when I'm officially in the market for a PS5. Good to know!

I remember that was a constant issue with my PS4 in the past, I found myself having to uninstall other games whenever I would get a new title. I don't recall how much storage it had though.

Wow! I will definitely have to take that into consideration when I'm officially in the market for a PS5. Good to know!

I remember that was a constant issue with my PS4 in the past, I found myself having to uninstall other games whenever I would get a new title. I don't recall how much storage it had though.

SSD is great, but isn't up there in storage and games storage amount doubles each generation.

Back