Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Bad news for the PlayStation Vita in Japan. According to Media Create (Via Joystiq), Sony's innovative handheld unit sold 72,479 units on its second week on the market. The Nintendo 3DS, on the other hand, sold 482,200 units. In Japan, the PSP, Wii, and PS3 all outsold the handheld.

On the software sales charts in Japan, three of the top five games are for the 3DS: Mario Kart 7 (#1), Super Mario 3D Land (#3), and Monster Hunter Tri-G (#4). Where no Vita games appear in the top 20 -- though, as Joystiq points out,this is likely due to both the poor hardware sales and the availability of retail games on PSN at lower prices.

The Vita is scheduled for release in North America on February 22. My question: Will it sell in the US? I've played around with it, and it's really, really cool, but I wonder how it will fare in the crowded market place of handheld devices.

source

Yeah, put it at ridiculous costs and blame the gamers? I don't think sooooo.... ;P

Well, they can pick it up if they include memory cards, and sell the system at like $150-170. If they don't, I actually see know hope in the Vita going anywhere.

Maybe more casual gamers are buying fewer newer dedicated handheld game system like the 3DS or Vita because they can now play some full 3D portable games on an iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, iPad 2, higher end Android phones and Tablets, eReaders, Blackberry Playbook Tablet, Android based MP3 and video players, Netbook, Ultrabook, Laptop, Windows 7 Tablet or older hand held like the DS, PSP, PSPgo, and Xperia Play, and save money by using other electronics or older handhelds to play games, so mostly core, hardcore, and gamers with money are buying newer hand helds.

The games for iPhone, iPad, Tablets, and some Laptop games are also cheaper as well since a lot of them cost 1-10 dollars or more.

Many people now a days just want quick things like Angry Birds if they want handheld. The DS sold 150 million, GBA sold 90 million. The 3DS and Vita will not be able to sell nearly that much. iPhones have sold 150 million or more.

Indeed, many average people just want a quick game for when they are stuck in line at the grocery store, or waiting for someone. Plus, most Smartphones, and Tablets also cost less when you buy it at the phone company if you signed up for a family plan, or 2 or more year cellular contract.

The DS also came out in 2004 when cell phone games were not as advance, slow, and most people owned regular cell phones like the Motorola Razr which can't play 3D games as well as the iPhone, iPod Touch, more expensive Android phones, etc which came out in 2007 to present, so there was no real competition for the DS except for the PSP.

PSP isn't much of a rival either. And tablets are expensive, yet they sell more than handhelds. That is just the people thinking "OMG, APPLE PRODUCT, NOM NOM NOM." They literally buy everything they throw out. Tablets however are fairly convenient, especially if you are a business man, or busy in general.

I agree the PSP is not much of a rival, but great for someone on a budget.

Indeed, Tablets are good for busy people and workers who need to check e-mail, and video chat with people a lot.

Amazon Kindle Fire is an affordable tablet at 199.99 which is good for Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and many other casual games which mostly casual and non-core gamers play, and some 3D touch games which Kindle Fire can play.

I bet when the Kindle Fire ships worldwide it will sell a lot more then any Tablet which cost 199.99 or less because of the large collection of affordable Apps, games, and streaming movies and music from Amazon Prime.

Plus, a lot of the Apps are free since Kindle Fire uses Google Android Apps, and Games since it is based on Android.

I think if Vita offer free and cheap games and Apps like the Kindle Fire then more casual gamers will buy it since people like free apps and games.

Plus, making it easier for independant programmers to make apps, and sell via their own website, or a 3rd party online marketplace, so they are not stuck only selling their apps and games on PSN which can be very difficult to be in the top 100 most sold games, or to get traffic to their games store page.

I thought the PS Vita would make alot of sales but I thought wrong :( Maybe people think Smartphones are the new generation of handheld gaming ;)

I think the main reason smartphones have more game sales because they have free, freemium (free to play, but items cost money), ad supported free games, or cheaper games which cost 1-10 dollars each vs 30-60+ dollars for a handheld game. Hand held games can be too expensive for casual gamers who only play games for less then an hour a day, so now mostly hardcore gamers with money buy the Vita.

A pricedrop for handheld games can increase the number of buyers of handhelds.

Honestly, I'd rather pay $10 for Chrono Trigger on the iPhone than $20 for the DS, or any other game like that. Handheld games should be available for downloadable purchases on the 3DS as well, but cheaper than retail for PSP, Vita, DS, and 3DS.

I mean there's no such thing as a free handheld game? Yeah no. But I see no point in the Vita. And keith said psp and other handhelds outsold the vita, so I think it is a competition for this handheld.

Vita just came out, what the others sold doesn't matter, it's what the Vita failed to sell.

Back