Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
So if you guys don't know, I currently wear glasses and why do I wear glasses? Maybe it's family genetics, maybe I was born with bad eyes or maybe it was because I always played games to closely to the old big tube tv screens. If kids of today were to use VR tech, what would that close screen tech do to their eyes and or health? Sony announced the following in a ToS update:

The biggest issue when dealing with children and any Head Mounted Display (HMD), is to take into consideration the Interpupillary distance (IPD). Simply put, IPD is the distance between the centre of the pupils in our eyes. It’s essential info for binocular viewing systems where pupils need to be positioned within a certain range to experience VR correctly and without strain. Adult averages usually fall around 63mm however there is quite a variation based on gender, race, and age making these values fluctuate between 48 and 73 mm. This means the further your eyes are from this average, the more distorted your view will be. Young children on the other hand have values that span between 40-55mm. So for them, their perspective through the Gear VR could be so erroneous that the perceived display will be very incorrect and can cause (short term) disorientation, discomfort, headaches, migraines, eye-strain or even nausea.

So basically if VR takes off, kids 13 and younger would be unable to use it. Think this will be an issue?

Well, I think it is the same as using a PC and consoles because of the distance. Just like a PC, I don't think that very young children are going to use it often and when they do, his parents are going to stop him and that stuff.

With VR, the distance is very short but who cares, phones are for 9+/12+ and most ones didn't respect that rule, same for games.

Long story short, if I would be a kid, I would still use it :)

Back