What is a good cheap video card for gaming?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think a lot of older graphics cards like the Nvidia GTX 650 may still be good for playing a lot of older game titles, and some newer titles. The Nvidia GTX 650 can be bought on eBay for $50 and more.

I feel if you go cheap you're just cheating yourself down the line when it goes out of date easily.

I feel if you go cheap you're just cheating yourself down the line when it goes out of date easily.

This is true, cheap video cards can easily go out of date. Cheap cards are usually good enough for playing older game titles, or emulators of old consoles like the N64.

A cheaper $100 video card is usually better than using the video card is built-into most cheap CPUs like the Intel Atom, Celeron, Core i3, and cheaper AMD APU/CPU like the A4, etc.

You can always re-sell the card on eBay, and get back some of your money to buy a more expensive card when you can afford or need a better video card.

True, just depends on your use for it.

If you have a more expensive Desktop PC Gaming motherboard with two or more PCI-Express video card expansion slots, you can sometimes use two or more video cards of different brands, quality levels, and speeds to run games and programs which can use two video cards at once. There maybe third-party software which let you combine the power of two video cards to run one game.

Having an extra few video ports by installing more video cards can be useful if you run two or more monitors at the same time to create a dual monitor PC setup.

We have to keep in mind the cost of video cards, as they're being inflated by the Etherium mining crisis right now. A GTX 650 is going for about $200 used on Amazon, which, to me, is absolutely ridiculous and unreasonably high. just three years ago, this is what I would have paid for a Motherboard, a case, AND a six-core CPU.

for those of you who haven't heard about this, cryptocurrencies (digitally encrypted money) like Bitcoin can be 'mined' using computer hardware like CPUs and -especially- video cards, and the cards with the best, most efficient processing power just so happen to be GTX and AMD RX video cards. This is driving up costs of cards all over the world - especially used ones, where they average more than double their normal market value.

Etherium is a new cryptocurrency, and can be traded for the much more popular -and more valuable- Bitcoin, so large corporations and some small startups have been paying insane amounts of money to buy out entire shipping lots of video cards, and some companies are even renting Boeing 747 air busses to do nothing but airmail these cards overseas. It's gotten so bad that top of the line cards like the AMD RX520 and 570 are almost always out of stock everywhere you look, and even the vastly more produced GTX 1080 ti will run you a freken' mortgage payment if you can actually find one on sale.

If you managed to find a GTX 650 for $50, then you are one lucky dude.

We have to keep in mind the cost of video cards, as they're being inflated by the Etherium mining crisis right now. A GTX 650 is going for about $200 used on Amazon, which, to me, is absolutely ridiculous and unreasonably high. just three years ago, this is what I would have paid for a Motherboard, a case, AND a six-core CPU.

for those of you who haven't heard about this, cryptocurrencies (digitally encrypted money) like Bitcoin can be 'mined' using computer hardware like CPUs and -especially- video cards, and the cards with the best, most efficient processing power just so happen to be GTX and AMD RX video cards. This is driving up costs of cards all over the world - especially used ones, where they average more than double their normal market value.

Etherium is a new cryptocurrency, and can be traded for the much more popular -and more valuable- Bitcoin, so large corporations and some small startups have been paying insane amounts of money to buy out entire shipping lots of video cards, and some companies are even renting Boeing 747 air busses to do nothing but airmail these cards overseas. It's gotten so bad that top of the line cards like the AMD RX520 and 570 are almost always out of stock everywhere you look, and even the vastly more produced GTX 1080 ti will run you a freken' mortgage payment if you can actually find one on sale.

If you managed to find a GTX 650 for $50, then you are one lucky dude.

Now maybe a good time to sell used gaming video cards on Amazon and eBay, or keep older video cards instead of giving them away to someone else, so you still have a somewhat powerful video card to play games with if your current more expensive video cards breaks, and can't be affordably repaired, or replaced without costing many hundreds to thousands of dollars.

I think it maybe best to wait for video card makers to make more cards to supply both cryptocurrency miners, and pc gamers. Hopefully, poorer and middle class gamers won't have to be forced to use slower onboard Intel and AMD video chips built-into the CPUs because a dedicated Gaming video card cost too much for most gamers to afford.

Used Computer Parts stores are most likely profiting from selling used video cards which still have fast performance, or they may use the used computer parts to also mine cryptocurrencies where they may make more money mining than selling computer parts if the value of cryptocurrency becomes very high like $10000 per Cryptocurrency in the future.

lol i thought it's only $50. I just bought it in my friend. I think it's a second hand not brandnew lol.

The GTX 650 which is s selling on Amazon is also used, and now cost $171 and you also have to pay $7.49 shipping when you buy it from https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...839416&sr=8-1&keywords=nvidia+geforce+gtx+650 . There is also only 1 left.

ivpMJnY.png

I think more people are seeing cryptocurrency mining as a more stable way of making money, so they are buying all the good video cards which is driving up the price for many older cards.

Back