What is the smallest amount of internal storage recommended for playing PC games?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I feel a 128GB SSD storage drive is the smallest storage drive someone should use if they want to play Windows games because Windows Updates for Windows can fill up a drive quickly even if you store your games and 3rd-party software on a secondary hard drive.

Windows System restore, and other Windows files can also fill up a drive quickly.

I wouldn't know since I don't play PC games. I tried playing Doom a long time ago but I haven't played any PC games since then. I stick to console gaming.

I think 500GB of internal storage hard drive would be a good amount of internal space for beginner PC Gamers who want to try out a few PC games to see if PC Gaming is something they are interested in. But, they don't want to install a more expensive 1000GB/1TB drive to add more storage.

But, games may run faster if you have Windows installed on a 128GB SSD storage drive, and install games on a secondary larger size hard drive.

256 GB is pretty much a must today, 128 will pretty much be taken up by the OS and any programs.

256 GB is pretty much a must today, 128 will pretty much be taken up by the OS and any programs.

That is true Windows and programs do use up a lot of space unless you uninstall most of the software which come with a Windows PC. I think Windows 10 Home may use less space because it has fewer features, and programs compared to Windows 10 Pro. But, Windows System Restore can use up a lot of space if you setup Windows System Restore to use a lot of storage space to make many system restores per day.

I think Linux PC Gaming does not require as much space because many Linux based operating systems like Linux Mint are designed for older and cheaper computers which may only have a small storage size 40GB hard drive, so Linux can be a good PC OS for playing a few games from Steam for Linux, Gog, and other game store which has Linux games.

If we are talking specifically for an SSD, I'm going to say 500GB. They aren't that expensive. But in general - 1TB HDD would be enough for most gamers.

Back