What videogame you think would work on a TV series?

StolenKid

Full GL Member
Credits
Hey guys I have been imagining a series based on the Deus Ex Human Revolution game, I think if HBO or Netflix would pitch the series it could work, of course it has to be from HBO or netflix because of the budget but I personally think a movie won't give the time to get a well developed plot.

My safest bet is Until Dawn. Why? Just look at Stranger Things. Both share a sort of teenage drama basis and a strong paranomal component, with mysterious disappereances and a thriller/horror vibe. They differ in a lot of things, but they feel so similar it's scary.
The first one to pop to mind, though, was Life is Strange. Even though the story is heavily dependant on the players' choices, I think it would make for a great teenage drama.
...I'm not even into that genre, why do so many come to mind?
It's just that...I prefer videogames with an emphasis on atmosphere. That's videogames' greatest potential and their major distinctive factor, and that's what I enjoy the most. And that's hard to convey into any other media. Dark Souls would lose all of its charm as a series or even as a movie, because exploration can't be easily represented when it's so prevalent without making it boring. Only games with a good and engaging plot with little gameplay interaction (and both Until Dawn and Life is Strange are considered as sorts of interactive movies) can be transposed with no major losses.
That made me think of the Zero Escape series, though. The plot is so mindblowing (well, from what I've played so far) that it would make for a stellar series, imho.

I know that Castlevania has just started on Netflix, I'm hoping to check that out but I believe it's only 3 episodes long.

Honestly, I can't think of many games I'd expressly like to see make the jump to the small screen.

The old Zelda cartoon in the 80's wasn't too bad. It'd be cool to get something like that again. Same with Super Mario Brothers Super Show and its two sequels.

Other than that, I think the 80's and 90's has taught us that video games and tv shows don't work out...

My safest bet is Until Dawn. Why? Just look at Stranger Things. Both share a sort of teenage drama basis and a strong paranomal component, with mysterious disappereances and a thriller/horror vibe. They differ in a lot of things, but they feel so similar it's scary.
The first one to pop to mind, though, was Life is Strange. Even though the story is heavily dependant on the players' choices, I think it would make for a great teenage drama.
...I'm not even into that genre, why do so many come to mind?
It's just that...I prefer videogames with an emphasis on atmosphere. That's videogames' greatest potential and their major distinctive factor, and that's what I enjoy the most. And that's hard to convey into any other media. Dark Souls would lose all of its charm as a series or even as a movie, because exploration can't be easily represented when it's so prevalent without making it boring. Only games with a good and engaging plot with little gameplay interaction (and both Until Dawn and Life is Strange are considered as sorts of interactive movies) can be transposed with no major losses.
That made me think of the Zero Escape series, though. The plot is so mindblowing (well, from what I've played so far) that it would make for a stellar series, imho.
Feel like Until Dawn would make a better movie - they would run out of plot and characters too quickly for a TV series in my opinion :p

For a good TV series from a game, I would say Dishonored (the entire series) has enough depth to be a TV series for a while with the two games probably containing a few series worth of content.

Back