What will be the gaming trends for 2019?

Monika

Full GL Member
Credits
I saw a blog talking about the possible new trends for 2019 based on mobile game insiders' observation.

Their predictions:
  • “Discovery will play a smaller role as this environment favors titles with stronger recognition, including strong, IP-based games.” by Sebastien Borget
  • "2019 will be a year of hyper-casual maturation and convergence." by Nimrod Klinger
  • "Genres like idle, puzzle, and simulation will continue to grow." by John Nilson
here's the link: Game devs predict the biggest mobile gaming trends of 2019 | AppLovin

In my opinion, games with multiplayer genre would be famous since everyone keeps talking about how video games destroy social skills of people. Also, I have my predictions that action-adventure games would be popular.

I feel battle royale multiplayer shooter games like PUBG Battleground and Fortnite will continue to be popular for mobile gaming in 2019.

I think FPS games like counter strike will outgrow battle royale games. Cus people now these days don't have patience in doing lengthy non action activity, but prefer an instant fast pace combat. I also think themes like in fortnite will grow in other games which looks fun and more likely feels non violent on the eyes.

I feel console and PC game mobile remakes like Mario Kart, Need for Speed, Final Fantasy 9, and Grand Theft Auto may also be popular on mobile devices.

I see more and more 'battle royale' type of games releasing and being played... also, more open world type of games are happening. I guess whatever the mass majority of gamers enjoy playing? massive multiplayer rpg's are still dominating too, but also I feel like more FPS games are trending too...

so yeah, battle royale, FPS games, and mmo's! haha

I agree that FPS, MMOs, and Battle Royale will be a thing for this 2019.. remakes will also be a thing but for different platforms :grin:

Playing mobile games with a physical gamepad controller may also be a trend because there would be more game streaming services like Google Stadia which can stream full PC and console games to a smartphone/tablet, and PC and console games are more fun to play with a controller or keyboard and mouse.

Game console remakes like Sonic the Hedgehog is also more fun to play with a controller, and there will be more console remakes for mobile in the future.

In my opinion, I think it's MOBA games and TCG like Honor of Kings, Mobile Legends, Hearthstone, and Clash Royale. Why? Because all of them are new in esports and I'm kinda thinkin' that there is a big possibility for these games to be a thing. That's the first thing comes through my head when I watched World Cyber Games.

90s - 2000s: RTS
2000s - 2010s: MOBA
late 2010s - future: Battle Royale

I can definitely see simulators becoming a bit of a trend on console. We're already getting a few popular ones on PS4 and Xbox one.

I can definitely see simulators becoming a bit of a trend on console. We're already getting a few popular ones on PS4 and Xbox one.
Ah! :) yeah I somehow see some simulators getting popular, cool!... loyal fan of goat simulator though :oops:

I feel mini consoles like the Super Nintendo Mini, Nintendo mini, and Sega Genesis mini will still be popular with people who like older games.

I feel mini consoles like the Super Nintendo Mini, Nintendo mini, and Sega Genesis mini will still be popular with people who like older games.
There is a high possibility especially even the kids in this generation are getting introduce with the old games

It hard to call trends in the industry, just due to how the consumers can be hard to predict. Battle royale style games are at their peak right now and can only lose players at this point. Monster Hunter World's DLC that's coming out will revitalize that genre and people who weren't as interested in the game the first time around might check it out. We could also see an invigoration on the MMO front with Blizzard showing cracks with the way they've been handing WoW for the last couple expacs, and Square's Final Fantasy MMO or ArenaNet's Guild Wars 2, could really explode with a more casual MMO that might get more people interested in the genre as well.

While I don't think either of those will be the biggest trends in terms of gaming for the year, I think that both genres will see some level of growth, provided that expansion packs or DLC is well received. Perhaps more than any genre though, the largest trend for this year already seems to be accessibility in gaming for people who are disabled, be it physically, mentally, or just simple things like being colorblind. I know that Sekiro really started the conversation with people about what it means to be accessible as a game, with tons of people and devs talking about how mechanics in game that would allow disabled people to play the game. On top of that companies like Microsoft have been working hard on making controllers that are programmable and can add extra buttons to allow people who have physical limitations on what they can do have access to easier to hit buttons.

I think as a whole, that the games industry is too populated with companies that are only in it for money, which is understandable, as they're companies. But the biggest issue behind it is that they tend to compromise the artistic integrity of the artwork to make a larger profit, which has made people more weary of purchasing games. It's what's caused the large rise in indie games in the last ~10 years, the industry is stagnant with no new ideas and everyone just follows the market trends of whatever's the most popular game of the year, trying to ride off it's coattails.

Back