Why did the Gamecube sell so badly?

The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2, but like the N64 was with cartridges, the mini DVD’s were kind of pointless if you had to compress your game a lot to fit on one to two mini DVD’s.

The lack of DVD playback was also a big stab towards the console in sales, and you’d be surprised to find out how many people bought a PS2 as just a DVD player because it was the cheapest you could get. I was in high school during the height of this generation, and the GameCube felt kiddy for most people, so the more mature games were on PS2 or Xbox lead to their appeal. RPG’s on the PS2 blew up in popularity even more during this time, and people were getting into slightly lesser known games that weren’t just Final Fantasy related like the PS1 days. That’s the majority of the reason why Tales of Symphonia was noted as THE Tales game for the longest time, as it stuck out like a sore thumb on the GameCube library. A lot of people still think it’s the first in the series, or don’t know it’s part of a franchise.

With the massive popularity of the PS2 and the Xbox, the GameCube was either bought by only die hard Nintendo fans, or only bought by parents who only got it because it was the cheapest console, which is probably what kept it alive. It wasn’t uncommon for kids who actually wanted a PS2 ended up with a GameCube for Christmas.

The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2, but like the N64 was with cartridges, the mini DVD’s were kind of pointless if you had to compress your game a lot to fit on one to two mini DVD’s.

The lack of DVD playback was also a big stab towards the console in sales, and you’d be surprised to find out how many people bought a PS2 as just a DVD player because it was the cheapest you could get. I was in high school during the height of this generation, and the GameCube felt kiddy for most people, so the more mature games were on PS2 or Xbox lead to their appeal. RPG’s on the PS2 blew up in popularity even more during this time, and people were getting into slightly lesser known games that weren’t just Final Fantasy related like the PS1 days. That’s the majority of the reason why Tales of Symphonia was noted as THE Tales game for the longest time, as it stuck out like a sore thumb on the GameCube library. A lot of people still think it’s the first in the series, or don’t know it’s part of a franchise.

With the massive popularity of the PS2 and the Xbox, the GameCube was either bought by only die hard Nintendo fans, or only bought by parents who only got it because it was the cheapest console, which is probably what kept it alive. It wasn’t uncommon for kids who actually wanted a PS2 ended up with a GameCube for Christmas.

Well written. :grin:

Well, I only buy a console if there are enough games for me to play on it. If there are few to no games for it, then I won't buy the console because it'll just sit there and collect dust. So, that's why I bought the GameCube and not a PS2 or a X-Box. I guess I'm a die hard Nintendo fan.

I think the Gamecube was not popular for some people because of the cube shape, and the design of the controller. People also prefer games like first person shooters, racing simulators, and RPGs like Final Fantasy X. There did not seem to be many first person shooters, racing simulators, and RPGs for the Gamecube.

The Gamecube also can't play DVD movies, and CD Music discs which were popular media formats to play video and music in the past.

I think the Gamecube was not popular for some people because of the cube shape, and the design of the controller. People also prefer games like first person shooters, racing simulators, and RPGs like Final Fantasy X. There did not seem to be many first person shooters, racing simulators, and RPGs for the Gamecube.

The Gamecube also can't play DVD movies, and CD Music discs which were popular media formats to play video and music in the past.

You do know that the gamecube controller is the best there is right?

You do know that the gamecube controller is the best there is right?

I know the Gamecube controller has a lot of fans, so it is good. But, there are people who may think the Gamecube controller is hard to use because it did not look like a Playstation, N64, and Snes controller which have a simpler looking controller design.

I know the Gamecube controller has a lot of fans, so it is good. But, there are people who may think the Gamecube controller is hard to use because it did not look like a Playstation, N64, and Snes controller which have a simpler looking controller design.

Same, judging by it's look, I don't think it is comfortable because of thin hand grip.

Same, judging by it's look, I don't think it is comfortable because of thin hand grip.

I agree the thin hand grips don't look very comfortable compared to larger more thicker controllers where you can lightly hold onto the controller by pressing your hand on its side instead of squeezing it, and having the controller hardly press against your hand like a knife.

Back