Why doesn't Nintendo get online?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
As in, understand that online play is important for much of the world, and that a decent account system/shop is a necessity?

I suspect personally it's to do with them being a Japanese company, and Japan not being too net savvy compared to the rest of the world. But what do you think?

It's more-so the fact that they have less experience with creating online service and such, next to Sony, who have an whole assortment of services. One thing that bugs me, is that since I used my real age on my Nintendo Network account, there is no way for me to view any M-rated content on the 3DS eShop now that it is linked to the network.

As in, understand that online play is important for much of the world, and that a decent account system/shop is a necessity?

I suspect personally it's to do with them being a Japanese company, and Japan not being too net savvy compared to the rest of the world. But what do you think?

Japan is actually more online than anywhere else. They love MMORPGs and online social networking and other such things as much as anyone else and use the internet to do a LOT of communication and gaming more-so than anywhere else. Nintendo is just oblivious to reality, is what it comes down to.

None of the Virtual Console titles even left in support for the games that had multiplayer (Amazing Mirror for GBA would be FANTASTIC if it had 4-player wireless co-op though; leaving multiplayer for that game, if it ever comes out, would be great) that was a missed opportunity by Nintendo. Just recently, though, some of them have left it in (Altered Beast 3D had an option for it) so maybe they might reconsider it, but hopefully online as an option too since some of my 3DS friends live pretty far away.

They literally have no idea what they are doing....

This article is about a 3rd party dev's experience developing for the Wii U. This excerpt is about their phone conference with Nintendo.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

The discussion started off well enough and covered off our experiences with the hardware and (slow) toolchain and then we steered them towards discussing when the online features might be available. We were told that the features, and the OS updates to support them, would be available before the hardware launch, but only just. There were apparently issues with setting up a large networking infrastructure to rival Sony and Microsoft that they hadn't envisaged.

This was surprising to hear, as we would have thought that they had plenty of time to work on these features as it had been announced months before, so we probed a little deeper and asked how certain scenarios might work with the Mii friends and networking, all the time referencing how Xbox Live and PSN achieve the same thing. At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in their development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them? My only thought after this call was that they were struggling - badly - with the networking side as it was far more complicated than they anticipated. They were trying to play catch-up with the rival systems, but without the years of experience to back it up.

How Nintendo managed to completely ignore what Sony and Microsoft were doing is baffling to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're just not thinking straight.

Because they worry about children way to much.(like the rest of society does)

well, with the internet letting you have access to everything, including videos that can traumatize your children i would be scared too; tho since we have public school protecting them is worthless nowadays

Because they worry about children way to much.(like the rest of society does)

well, with the internet letting you have access to everything, including videos that can traumatize your children i would be scared too; tho since we have public school protecting them is worthless nowadays

It comes with the territory lol If you don't want children to get traumatized,leave it to the parents. It's their jobs. Nintendo included parental controls so theyve done their parts. Its a shame Nintendo doesnt get that point and instead,hold us all back. (The removal of swapnote being an example)

They literally have no idea what they are doing....

This article is about a 3rd party dev's experience developing for the Wii U. This excerpt is about their phone conference with Nintendo.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

The discussion started off well enough and covered off our experiences with the hardware and (slow) toolchain and then we steered them towards discussing when the online features might be available. We were told that the features, and the OS updates to support them, would be available before the hardware launch, but only just. There were apparently issues with setting up a large networking infrastructure to rival Sony and Microsoft that they hadn't envisaged.

This was surprising to hear, as we would have thought that they had plenty of time to work on these features as it had been announced months before, so we probed a little deeper and asked how certain scenarios might work with the Mii friends and networking, all the time referencing how Xbox Live and PSN achieve the same thing. At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in their development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them? My only thought after this call was that they were struggling - badly - with the networking side as it was far more complicated than they anticipated. They were trying to play catch-up with the rival systems, but without the years of experience to back it up.

How Nintendo managed to completely ignore what Sony and Microsoft were doing is baffling to me.

This is literally one of the most disturbing thing I've ever read. No one over there has used their competitors consoles and software? But... But why? If I was a lead person over at Nintendo, I'd constantly be all up all over Sony and Microsoft's business! And I'd make sure all my employees were too. We'd have people combing their forums, and creeping on their online stuff constantly, just to see what people were excited about, what they playing, and how they were playing it! Why would you NOT?

I mean, that's not even dropping the ball, and it's way past being ignorant. That's like an ostrich burying it's head in the sand, and if it can't see that lion coming to eat it, well then it just doesn't exist. I mean.... Geez, it's just mind boggling to me that they have no idea what their direct competitors are doing.

It comes with the territory lol If you don't want children to get traumatized,leave it to the parents. It's their jobs. Nintendo included parental controls so theyve done their parts. Its a shame Nintendo doesnt get that point and instead,hold us all back. (The removal of swapnote being an example)

Yeah, Swapnote was like a legit eShop app to download, had a great amount of creativity and now it is limited to mere Streetpassing. The app had a lot of potential :( I miss sending swaps online.

Yeah, Swapnote was like a legit eShop app to download, had a great amount of creativity and now it is limited to mere Streetpassing. The app had a lot of potential :( I miss sending swaps online.

I wouldn't be that bad if it were able to send messages to anyone you street passed with. I'd have great fun with that, now that I have a router set up to streetpass constantly. It's the fact that you can only send the messages through street passes with people you've friended. And for me at least, that means I can't send any messages to anyone. I mean, wtf?

I wouldn't be that bad if it were able to send messages to anyone you street passed with. I'd have great fun with that, now that I have a router set up to streetpass constantly. It's the fact that you can only send the messages through street passes with people you've friended. And for me at least, that means I can't send any messages to anyone. I mean, wtf?

Yeah, but who knows: I mean the 3DS finally got Nintendo accounts so they might reinstate Spotpassand have a banning system setup so everyone's happy again! :grin:

This is absurd. Especially how they don't compare themselves with any other company, comparing doesn't have to be bad, more like at least improve and try to compromise at least a bit of both. Nintendo should learn we're not all kids and should have like a separate feature for anyone that's old enough and would like to really experience online. I hope they realize in time before their consumers just give up and move on to their competitors. I do miss Swap Note very much :( especially the doodles/art that everyone would send.

Nintendo's stuck in the old way of thinking. They're slow and resistent to embrace new things. The company needs some fresh blood.

This isn't a "Japan" thing, or Sony would be having trouble too. This is a Nintendo thing.

Nintendo's stuck in the old way of thinking. They're slow and resistent to embrace new things. The company needs some fresh blood.

This isn't a "Japan" thing, or Sony would be having trouble too. This is a Nintendo thing.

While I agree that it reflects more towards Nintendo's business model and how they want their games played and what they want to do with them. I'd argue it's not that Nintendo doesn't want to try new things, their recent systems have been entirely trying new things, but the problem is they're very resistant to outside influence. If they personally thought that multiplayer was an important thing to their gaming experience, they would go for it immediately. It's not that they refuse to change, but rather that they will only conform to the ideas that they plan for.

As for a Japan thing, I heavily disagree with your sentiment. It's immediately obvious that Nintendo and Sony have very drastically different business models. You can also tell that Sony isn't really aiming for a Japanese market. Nintendo absolutely dominates the Japanese market, Sony doesn't compete there at all. Sony is from Japan, yes, but to say something that Nintendo does and something that Sony does are going to coincide on geography is unlikely as Sony markets towards the Western market whole heartedly. It's really easy to see, Microsoft and Sony directly compete and influence each other heavily. Nintendo is off doing it's own thing for the most part, Sony and Microsoft pay attention to what Nintendo does, but they're not in direct competition past competition of resources, money. You can see this in the trend that Nintendo through in with motion controls. Microsoft tried harder to compete with the Kinect, but that didn't do well at all.

With that said, it's easy to understand what happens in the Japanese market may directly affect Nintendo than it might for Sony. A 'Japan' thing may reflect on Sony's behavior, likely in the East more than West, but it surely won't have profound effects. Sony could care less since it's not where their main market is.

Back