Why EA are wrong about singleplayer games

Don't get me wrong, multiplayer is great but not everyone can get online daily. You need single player to keep majority of your fanbase happy after all. Plus multiplayer games are rent for time if you think about it.

I get that there is a huge community of gamers out there who only care about multiplayer. They are competitive people who live to compete with other gamers online. But there are also plenty of folks who view multiplayer as nothing more than a bonus mode, and I'm one of those people. To me, games are all about the story and the single player experience. If a game is multiplayer only, I have literally no incentive to buy it.

Being in my late 20's, I don't have the time to sit around playing video games all day and honing my skills. This means that my reflexes and hand-eye coordination aren't up to par with the main demographic of younger players who have no jobs, no responsibilities, and nothing to do but obsessively play video games. That means that whenever I get online, they mop the floor with me.

Unless you're a masochist, I doubt that's an enjoyable experience for you. This is why single player is crucial for so many players such as myself, because we just want to sit down, have a beer, and have fun without getting 360 no scoped by some 15 year old who plays 12 hours a day.

You know why? I think its because playing EA sports games is much better if your opponent is someone who really exist and not the computer it has no thrill for me if your opponent is just a computer, but if they just allowed multiplayer they will surely make 2 people happy while fighting each other, so they can prove to one another if which is more better in that game.

I think its because playing EA sports games is much better if your opponent is someone who really exist and not the computer

I can understand this perspective, but I don't think that we're discussing EA Sports here. I've mostly played soccer games from EA Sports, and I can agree that playing against the computer is awful. They're super easy to fool and eventually the game just becomes tedious.

But the thing is that EA makes so much more than just sports games. They and their developers put out games of all genres, including RPG, FPS, and racing games. These genres always had single player campaigns and people thoroughly enjoyed them. If someone wanted a multiplayer only game, they'd get an MMORPG or a multiplayer focused shooter like Counter-Strike.

People still want stories to their games, and I feel that if EA wants to take that away, there is no chance in seven Hells that I'll pay full price for a multiplayer only title.

Don't get me wrong, multiplayer is great but not everyone can get online daily. You need single player to keep majority of your fanbase happy after all. Plus multiplayer games are rent for time if you think about it.
I'm with you on that one, I rather play single player at times myself too :)

Single player is not going any where. The kids these days might engage with mp more, but there is a huge market for sp games that wants quality and quantity of single player games. A company or two who fail to deliver good sp experiences can not change what we want. Even EA is making sp games.

Single player is not going any where. The kids these days might engage with mp more, but there is a huge market for sp games that wants quality and quantity of single player games. A company or two who fail to deliver good sp experiences can not change what we want. Even EA is making sp games.
It's not actually that hard on what we ask, they know we want it and they are making ways to milk cash.

Back