Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
I've been buying anime recently, only series that I know I would love. But some I want to buy, which for one season of 13 episodes they are asking $80 and if you do some looking at best I can get it for $60. That's just for season one, if I go after the other seasons it will cost just as much with a total bill over $200.

It's no wonder free anime sites flourish.

But those "free" sites will make anime sales go down = no season 2 for popular anime = kicking the creators in the nuts.

Biting_emoticon.gif

Some people wouldn't have watched anything other than the mainstream anime without these sites though. They would stick to whatever is available for free on their channels, like Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, etc.
So I don't think these sites are taking much of these sales. They are actually making the anime series more popular.

And for reference, before I started downloading anime (back when my connection sucked) I used to buy them pirated, like 25 episodes on a DVD for $2.

Black Angel said:
I think it is because it might be imported. My husband has noticed this when buying Japanese Kit Kat in the city.

Although I have seen anime dvds being sold for cheap in Downtown Brooklyn. They are usually next to old Bruce Lee and other movies.

Sent from a Galaxy better than yours..
I get they have to bring it over from japan, dub it and pay for advertising. But still $80 for 13 episodes for a lot of these is a bit much. Specially when they charge the same for the next 3 seasons of the same series.

zeroneff said:
I think it has to do with the scarce amount of copies, especially in the US
Unless it's a great rare anime, there is no shortage and old titles can be found everywhere for very good prices.

Because it's so popular nowadays and it has to be imported from Japan. A decade ago you could get an entire season of an anime show for 5 bucks, nowadays it's more like 50. 

One of my friends used to insist on buying as much as she could.  I really don't know where she got the money for it all.  One day, while she complained how expensive it was, i told her getting addicted to crack would be lighter on her wallet.

She started studying in Japan which made it much, much easier for her to get her hands on series.  I still wonder how she can afford to splurge that much, even if she's right at the source.

But would they make a profit/enough profit though, with the 30 bucks price tag and if not aired on television network/s.

But would they make a profit/enough profit though, with the 30 bucks price tag.
With so many anime to purchase and so many people who are calling themselves 'Otaku'. Then yes, I wish there is a kind of steam-like store but for anime and not games so that we can have large discounts. :p

I know the OP was from 5 years ago, but a lot has changed since then. If you wait, Funimation tends to release a version of a 25 episode season for $30, and generally $40 gets you 12 episodes from Funi or Sentai Filmworks.

Aniplex is annoying as most of their shows cost $80 for four episodes, or about/over $200 for 12 episodes and everything has to be a “limited edition” box set for no reason. I’m not dropping $300 on the first season of Bakemonogatari.

I know the OP was from 5 years ago, but a lot has changed since then. If you wait, Funimation tends to release a version of a 25 episode season for $30, and generally $40 gets you 12 episodes from Funi or Sentai Filmworks.

Aniplex is annoying as most of their shows cost $80 for four episodes, or about/over $200 for 12 episodes and everything has to be a “limited edition” box set for no reason. I’m not dropping $300 on the first season of Bakemonogatari.

SAVE editions are rather nice.

SAVE editions are rather nice.

They are pretty nice in the price department. I'm talking about situations like A Certain Magical Index will be released in two volumes for (the sake of the conversation) $35 each. Then if you wait like a year, then they package both volumes together as the full season for the same price as the individual volumes that came out the year before.

They are pretty nice in the price department. I'm talking about situations like A Certain Magical Index will be released in two volumes for (the sake of the conversation) $35 each. Then if you wait like a year, then they package both volumes together as the full season for the same price as the individual volumes that came out the year before.

some people don't want to wait though.

Back