Wii U

I like the concept and idea. But I can't help but think Nintendo is backing itself into a corner with this one. Something like this should have came out during those times when most people didn't have as many televisions in the household. The tech is nice, but it's impractical. And if it only carries games that are already on the current systems and the PC, the system won't gain much traction. The fact that Sony and Microsoft aren't being reactive to this new Wii system might be bad for Nintendo as well. It could signify that they aren't worried about the new system and when their new systems come out the new Wii might be make to look like the town joke.

Nintendo is going back to the ages of the dreamcast. Putting more effort into the controller than the console itself. I can't imagine how you will use a sensor, touch scren, buttons, D-pad, triggers on one game. Wii games is as simple as it gets why do you complicate things nintendo?

I'm just wondering if the online for this will be up to snuff.

I despise this new name. While the last console you could almost make sense of the name, this one just sounds like they got lazy and tacked a letter on to be clever like the chatspeakers. (The Stream was a better name and more accurate of what it was capable of doing.)

I'm intrigued,I like some of the ideas they showed... Like being able to switch to another video feed and the game will put the image to your controller. But I think there is a lot of things I need to know before I want to commit to it, things like:
How hard will it be to implement the touch screen in game? Are many games going to use it? How will it affect the game?
It might not be a good idea if I have to constantly be looking down at the controller to set my options/items while I'm playing. Imagine playing Deadspace 3 on the system... You look down for a second to switch/manage your items and while you're distracted your face gets chewed off.
I do wonder how much this controller is going to weigh though because it looks huge. (The screen alone is 6 inches...)
The screenshots of them showing this controller mounted on the plastic handgun thing looked really bad. How securely is it fastened since it looks like there was a lot of overhang on either side...
So I don't think I'd want to try that option, I'd be afraid the controller would fall and break.

Another concern, since the controller is wireless with a large touch screen, what kind of battery life can we expect from the controller? 2-4 hours?
What about the online? Are they going to revamp the friend code system to work more like the PS3/360's online systems?

The 3rd party support is nice, but I do wonder why it should tip me to the new Nintendo system, especially given that I already have a PS3 so I know that all the 3rd party support is there too. (The having the menus and stuff on the controller doesn't sway me, since like I explained above with the Deadspace example having the menus and stuff on the controller can be a huge disadvantage.)

Plus, the way the Vita works, isn't it possible that the Vita + PS3 can do the same thing the new Nintendo console can do? I mean already the PS3 can stream games over the internet to the PSP... So what's to stop Sony from doing it with the Vita?
(Don't get me wrong, the cost of a Vita is more than one of Nintendo's new controllers would likely cost... but if you buy a Vita. you're also getting a portable gaming system too. Not just a controller.)

Also, by the time the PS4 and Xbox 720 come out, the Nintendo console will likely again be rather outdated tech. So will developers want to keep making games for them when they have better tech on the other consoles?

For anyone who adopted the Rev because it was simple, this new console is just going to confuse them. (One of the reasons they couldn't master a PS3/360 was because of all the controller's buttons... How will they react to this? "OMG Buttons... Too difficult. Pass."? Cue casual crowd exit here.)

Agreed, I have the same concerns. Regarding battery life, I'm sure Nintendo thought that out during development.

Plus, the way the Vita works, isn't it possible that the Vita + PS3 can do the same thing the new Nintendo console can do? I mean already the PS3 can stream games over the internet to the PSP... So what's to stop Sony from doing it with the Vita?

I have a feeling there's much more to the technology that was demoed and more than meets the eye. I think it's more than just a simple touchscreen built into the controller, I also don't think the Vita would be set up to work the same way with the PS3 as the new Nintendo system and controller.

Also, by the time the PS4 and Xbox 720 come out, the Nintendo console will likely again be rather outdated tech. So will developers want to keep making games for them when they have better tech on the other consoles?

By that time, it will already be time for Nintendo to release another new system. This is just likely playing catchup with the current generation, probably because Nintendo is starting to lose money because the Wii isn't selling all that well anymore and the 3DS hasn't sold that well since it launched.

I didn't listen to what other people told me and I got a Wii. I really regretted it. I won't make the same mistake this time. I'd much rather save for the Vita.

Don't really want to get one, I want the FANTASTIC Vita.

I will be honest here and say I don't really like Nintendo's first party games too much (not enough to get a new console at this point) and I doubt it will get the 3rd party support it deserves.

But I guess we have to wait to see what happens with it... I've thought that it was a bad idea to release a console right now since I heard the Café rumors.

Also, the 3rd party show reel or whatever didn't use actual Wii U footage, it used footage from the 360/PS3/PC versions of the games. That's terrible and a lot of people are like "OH that's OK" right now, but I bet that if Sony or Microsoft had done it there would be a massive outrage...

Terrible idea why would I want a DS (figuratively) that comes with a box that it can't go more than 20 ft away from. They took portable and made it non portable whats the point. I thought they would do something like the kinect where a controller isn't needed not make a larger controller

only good game I herd was super smash bros.

I agree with you Skeith^^ wow I am very disappointed with Nintendo. This new console is garbage to me. My wii got stolen a while back and I waited to buy a new Nintendo console, and they come out with this?! Looks like my money is going to be spent on more Steam games for PC now.

The Wii U is HD. Do you need an HDTV for it to be in HD, or will it just be hd with any tv?

Well, than I really don't have a reason to get a wii u...besides costing $350, I would also have to get an HDTV. Way too expensive.

I'm liking the concept, but I think its success will depend on price alone. The innovative idea of having a big screen in the controller catches your attention, but that alone won't be enough for people to buy it. Apart from the "strange" idea, all you get is non-HD gameplay, a bulky controller, a very bland design (the current Wii at least looks nice, this one's just bland) and probably the way you play games won't be much different from what you get with the current Wii controllers and the games itself probably won't change much.

With this in mind, all that's left to convince people to buy this and not other consoles will be price, and although traditionally Nintendo succeeds doing that, I fear they're losing on that front too.

Anyway, kudos to them for thinking different :)

The controller is a major step back, like someone already mentioned they tried to copy elements of the Dreamcast controller, well that was all that great to begin with. People want something that is very lightweight, easy to hold without causing pressure soreness from the corners digging into your palms for hours at end. The camera on it, I'm not sure what's the point of that besides a possible Blair Witch style of chat and/or gaming.

With the system it is a nice step up from the original Wii, offering HD support, HDMI out and possibility of games that can use the system to its fullest extent. Haven't heard much if anything on what sort of media they will use for their discs. Are they bluray or hd like or something that completely off the wall and will have a smaller data size.

Quite possibility they should go back to the drawing board with the controller and some things with the system, as of right now the Wii U is not very stellar.

Quite possibility they should go back to the drawing board with the controller and some things with the system, as of right now the Wii U is not very stellar.
The stock market agrees with you: Nintendo's stock price went down more 9,9% between the 6th and today. The stock market usually overreacts a bit too much, but still it isn't the warm reception Nintendo was probably aiming for :|

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=7974:JP

Oh, wow! I have heard about this new system that is going to be released next year, but I have never seen pictures of it. It looks amazing! I have heard that the graphics are amazing for Nintendo. I really hope that Nintendo is going to become a competitor against Microsoft and Sony because it would be very interesting!

Yeah probably something like Nov. 15-20. In my opinion, the name sucks but the controller, itself looks great!

Back