Will department stores always sell many tech products?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think there is a possibility that department stores may not sell as many tech products in the future because fewer people may buy tech products from department stores like Wal-Mart and Target in the future.

Many people buy tech products like computers, smartphones, Blu-Ray players, and TVs from online shopping websites like Amazon, and eBay and classified ad sites like Craigslist because of cheaper prices, and convenience of online shopping. Amazon and eBay also sells a lot of less popular products like DVI to HDMI converter cables, older video games, older game consoles, and older vinyl music records or cds which are harder to find at most department stores.

Most people also own PCs, smartphones/tablets, HDTV, cordless phones, stereo systems, game consoles, etc, so department stores may not be able to easily sell tech to as many buyers because most people already own them, or can buy them for a cheaper price on the internet, or buy cheap used tech offline from a friend, or at a flea market or pawn shop.

This definitely becomes true in the future and most of the people were like to shop at online stores for elections cause online stores gives more offers and other things.

The need for a quick hardware run will always be needed, from what I understand people from businesses will often go to Staples or Bestbuy to buy a new laptop or whatever they need.

In store pick up and local delivery for tech products like a new laptop or tv can be useful for people who need to quickly buy a laptop at Bestbuy after they paid for their purchase on Bestbuy's website.

Do many business workers in the US shop at Department stores like Walmart and Target for quickly buying tech products like laptops?

There are sometimes not a lot of electronics on the shelves in the electronics section of a department stores compared to dedicated electronic stores like Bestbuy or large shopping website like Amazon and eBay. I think people mostly buy tech from department stores when there is a sale during Black Friday and Back to School sales, or they don't want to shop online and don't live live near a Bestbuy, Staples, Office Depot, and Gamestop. Some people may buy tech from Department stores if they have a giftcard, or their local Gamestop and Bestbuy does not have the game, console, or tech product they want to buy.

I think some people also buy random tech purchases like a new pair of headphones they see while walking around Wal-Mart and Target which they regularly shop at to buy food and clothes.

Last edited:
In store pick up and local delivery for tech products like a new laptop or tv can be useful for people who need to quickly buy a laptop at Bestbuy after they paid for their purchase on Bestbuy's website.

Do many business workers in the US shop at Department stores like Walmart and Target for quickly buying tech products like laptops?

There are sometimes not a lot of electronics on the shelves in the electronics section of a department stores compared to dedicated electronic stores like Bestbuy or large shopping website like Amazon and eBay. I think people mostly buy tech from department stores when there is a sale during Black Friday and Back to School sales, or they don't want to shop online and don't live live near a Bestbuy, Staples, Office Depot, and Gamestop. Some people may buy tech from Department stores if they have a giftcard, or their local Gamestop and Bestbuy does not have the game, console, or tech product they want to buy.

I think some people also buy random tech purchases like a new pair of headphones they see while walking around Wal-Mart and Target which they regularly shop at to buy food and clothes.

no even quicker than that, they need to be able to walk into a store without any online buying, look at a laptop and buy it on the spot.

no even quicker than that, they need to be able to walk into a store without any online buying, look at a laptop and buy it on the spot.

I think for Apple laptops with only two popular laptop models like the Apple Macbook and Macbook Pro going into a store to buy an Apple laptop can be okay.

But, Windows PC and Chromebooks, buyers probably save more time phoning the store to see if the laptop they want is being sold at a store, or pay for it online, and go to a store to pick it up at the store.

There are many Windows and Chromebook laptop models from different brands like Acer, HP, Dell, Asus, Lenovo, Toshiba, etc, so the laptop someone want to buy may not be sold at a store they go into. Buying a laptop at a store which buyers have not read reviews can increase the chance of buyers needing to spend more time returning or repairing a laptop they are having problems with in the future.

I think for Apple laptops with only two popular laptop models like the Apple Macbook and Macbook Pro going into a store to buy an Apple laptop can be okay.

But, Windows PC and Chromebooks, buyers probably save more time phoning the store to see if the laptop they want is being sold at a store, or pay for it online, and go to a store to pick it up at the store.

There are many Windows and Chromebook laptop models from different brands like Acer, HP, Dell, Asus, Lenovo, Toshiba, etc, so the laptop someone want to buy may not be sold at a store they go into. Buying a laptop at a store which buyers have not read reviews can increase the chance of buyers needing to spend more time returning or repairing a laptop they are having problems with in the future.

if you are a business though who needs a laptop on the spot (I've seen people come in a hurry to get one), you don't have time to research, you just need to buy something now/asap.

if you are a business though who needs a laptop on the spot (I've seen people come in a hurry to get one), you don't have time to research, you just need to buy something now/asap.

I know laptops get stolen/lost very often, so many people who have their laptop stolen may buy a new laptop as soon as possible because they have no other computer to go on the internet, do work on, and they quickly need a laptop to finish the work they lost because their laptop got stolen.

If all laptops are at a office after work, a robber will most likely steal all the computers and laptops in an office which can happen if many robbers rob the office at the same time. Unfortunately, if all the PCs got stolen, almost no one can do their work.

I think they will and they already are selling these tech products. You can see at every malls you go that there are always stores for phones, PC and other gadgets. They are all in just one place.

I guess yes because of it's public demand to the customers and there are many manufacturers who still making and producing technological products that been passed to the retailers and merchandisers. Gadgets now will never be easily gone in our daily life it is part of our life style in everywhere you see there is always a gadgets even though a 3 year old baby know how to use it. So it's not possible that market will not sell technological gadgets.

I think yes because that's the only advantage that they have compared to the online store and buyers want to check the gadgets first before purchasing it. This is the advantage of gadget in the department store. You have a chance to run some test and then decides if you will buy it or not. Unlike in an online store, there is no guarantee that the gadgets have no defect when it arrives at you.

Sites like Amazon and eBay has a good return policy where you can more easily exchange them to get your money back, or a non-broken electronics, or get your money back if you got scammed on eBay if you pay with Paypal. But, some department stores don't always have good return policy, and may even charge a re-boxing fee if you don't like what you buy.

I usually watch many electronic review videos, and read electronic review articles on the internet, and buy electronics with good reviews on sites like Amazon, eBay, etc. I bought a used digital camera on Amazon, and the camera still works well. I think I trust buying used electronics more from Amazon and eBay rather than a department store or pawn shop which may have a poor return policy, and re-shelving fees.

Well many places in my area are still selling tech products in store, but there are 2 places that don't sell as much as they did in the past.

For me as a consumer, I prefer online shopping for cheaper products. But in case of buying an Iphone or Macbook pro I guess I shoul visit Apple tech store. I doubt it buying online becuase I've once bought an Apple clone device.

Well, I think they should continue to sell those things. People who doing windows shopping sometimes buy things on the spot. While walking on the department stores, and find a good things with cheaper price specially this tech things is sometimes I call it jackpot or I'm so lucky. :)

I always buy tech stuff at the nearest department store/ mall here, just to be sure the product is not damage. I also won't be needing to wait.

I think it is not very common for stores to let you open product boxes where I live until after you pay for the product to prevent theft and damage to the product by users.

I think it is not very common for stores to let you open product boxes where I live until after you pay for the product to prevent theft and damage to the product by users.

Same situation here, opening the sealed product before you can leave the store. If you refuse on opening it, they cannot issue a replacement if the product has any damages inside.

Back