Will Online Auctions on eBay and other sites always be popular?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yes, I think online auctions on eBay and other sites will always be a popular online activity.

People like a good deal on items, or want to sell their stuff for higher than retail price like how some people sold their Nintendo Switch for hundreds of dollars more than the Switch's retail prices.

I guest, if people had less money because the government increase taxes, online auctions maybe less popular because of people having less money because of the government increasing taxes, and public bus transportation prices.

But, more people may use online auction sites to earn money to pay their taxes like property taxes, Driver licensing fees, and public transportation. More poor people may use auction sites to buy stuff like dried food, soap, tissue paper, and other food and disposable products for a lower price than retail prices at the dollar store and Walmart.

Sometimes, you can get good deals on stuff on eBay compared to Amazon which does not always have the lowest prices. eBay is also more safe than using Craigslist and in-person sales where the seller maybe a criminal like a robber who just wants to steal your money, and not sell you anything, or buy from you.

Unless something takes their place, they will always be popular since they are very convenient.

Unless something takes their place, they will always be popular since they are very convenient.

I agree they are pretty convenient for finding hard to find books, games, music Records, computer parts, car parts, and other stuff which sometimes Amazon does not sell, or sell for a higher price.

Plus, you can bid on more expensive items like cars, and sometimes pay less than retail price. I think there are very few websites which sell more expensive items like cars for less than retail costs.

I've never actually bought something on eBay that was an auction, anything I've bought from eBay has always been a "Buy Now". Sites like eBay will always be popular really, it's convenient and easy for people.

I've never actually bought something on eBay that was an auction, anything I've bought from eBay has always been a "Buy Now". Sites like eBay will always be popular really, it's convenient and easy for people.

I sometimes use the auction, but I rarely win. I sometimes use the "Buy Now" feature in eBay if I really need the item, or it is cheaper than the auction prices.

Are there any other good alternative auction sites which accept Paypal, Credit Cards, and other payment methods?

not that I know of that would have the same userbase and not be shady/illegal. There was half.com but that just merged into ebay.

I think eBay may end up buying most of the useful auction sites with big userbases since eBay has a lot of money from all the fees which they earn from auctions, and Paypal which is also owned by Paypal.

I think using eBay to sell stuff can be better than Amazon Marketplace where you are also competing with Amazon's low price and fast cheap Prime shipping.

Well.. Probably. As long as the scam rate doesn't increase, I don't see any reason, why they would become unpopular

Well.. Probably. As long as the scam rate doesn't increase, I don't see any reason, why they would become unpopular

I haven't heard of many people being scammed on Auction sites compared to other ways of selling things online like using Classified ad websites where you need to meet someone at a public place like a park and to buy something form them.

Some retail stores also use auction sites like eBay to auction off their products since there are a lot of buyers on eBay compared to their own online store which is inconvenient to use because you need to make an account at their online store.

I haven't heard of many people being scammed on Auction sites compared to other ways of selling things online like using Classified ad websites where you need to meet someone at a public place like a park and to buy something form them.

Some retail stores also use auction sites like eBay to auction off their products since there are a lot of buyers on eBay compared to their own online store which is inconvenient to use because you need to make an account at their online store.
When I first bought stuff in those auctions,I wasn't aware of eBay protection. So I lost some 100$ like that. That's what I meant by scam

When I first bought stuff in those auctions,I wasn't aware of eBay protection. So I lost some 100$ like that. That's what I meant by scam

That is disappointing. It is best to use Paypal to pay for stuff on eBay because of more buyer protection from scams.

That is disappointing. It is best to use Paypal to pay for stuff on eBay because of more buyer protection from scams.
My PayPal doesn't really work with eBay. Well more like my bank got issues. So that's not an option for me

My PayPal doesn't really work with eBay. Well more like my bank got issues. So that's not an option for me

I used to use prepaid credit card giftcards to connect to my Paypal account. It is more expensive because there a $2 to $5 loading fee with most pre-paid credit card, but simpler than using a bank which is somewhat more complicated.

I used to use prepaid credit card giftcards to connect to my Paypal account. It is more expensive because there a $2 to $5 loading fee with most pre-paid credit card, but simpler than using a bank which is somewhat more complicated.
Well I don't use credit cards at all. I have always used debit cards for everything. A pre paid credit card does sound interesting though

Well I don't use credit cards at all. I have always used debit cards for everything. A pre paid credit card does sound interesting though

A prepaid credit card is similar to a debit card since you are always using your own money. The main differences of a prepaid credit card is that you need to pay a loading fee to load money into your card, and there is a monthly charge if you don't spend all your money after 1 year of not using all your money. There are also prepaid credit cards where you can re-load them with money, but you need to pay the loading fee again.

I think prepaid credit cards are less risky than debit cards where a criminal can steal all your money in your bank account by using your debit card. But, if you choose to only load $25 or less in a prepaid credit card giftcard, a criminal can only steal $25 or less from the giftcard.

PayPal and Ebay are really like the closest friends ever.
But I'm aware that Clara is located in India, so it might differ with Indian PayPal accounts.

Either that, or she tries to use her bank with a PayPal account that belongs to a different country.
PayPal seems to region lock the bank countries for some reason.
I could link my Dutch and American accounts to my business PayPal account just fine, but not my Japanese one.
And when I make a PayPal account in let's say Australia, I won't be able to add my Dutch and Japanese accounts, but American still works for some reason.

A prepaid credit card is similar to a debit card since you are always using your own money. The main differences of a prepaid credit card is that you need to pay a loading fee to load money into your card, and there is a monthly charge if you don't spend all your money after 1 year of not using all your money. There are also prepaid credit cards where you can re-load them with money, but you need to pay the loading fee again.

I think prepaid credit cards are less risky than debit cards where a criminal can steal all your money in your bank account by using your debit card. But, if you choose to only load $25 or less in a prepaid credit card giftcard, a criminal can only steal $25 or less from the giftcard.

How does your paypal not work with ebay?

PayPal and Ebay are really like the closest friends ever.
But I'm aware that Clara is located in India, so it might differ with Indian PayPal accounts.

Either that, or she tries to use her bank with a PayPal account that belongs to a different country.
PayPal seems to region lock the bank countries for some reason.
I could link my Dutch and American accounts to my business PayPal account just fine, but not my Japanese one.
And when I make a PayPal account in let's say Australia, I won't be able to add my Dutch and Japanese accounts, but American still works for some reason.

Thanks for explaining stuff guys.
My bank got two layer security. So, it doesn't work well with paypal and my other accounts, even though they work in aliexpress, they don't work in ebay :(

Back